mtbr member
    Feb 2012

Alfine 8 - a few questions..

Well I've just ordered some bits to convert my '13 SS Kona Unit to an Alfine 8 hub.

So far I've got the bare hub, still coming I have the small parts kit, 20T cog, SL-S503 Rapidfire Shifter which comes with inner and outer cable SP41, centrelock rotor, rim and spokes etc..

Do I also need to order the Shimano Alfine & Nexus Hub Shift Cable Fixing Bolt Unit? I can't see why this wouldn't be included somewhere, but I'd be gutted to get to the end and have this little bolt stopping me from hitting the trails.

Next - I know this hubs CAN be broken with abuse. Should I refrain from standing up and mashing the pedals on this one altogether? I'll be sticking with 32-20 gearing. I've been running 32-18 single speed and I'm really missing the top end more than the bottom for what I do with this bike, but a few lower will come in handy. On a long climb I'm happy to spin away but on a short pinch climb I'd rather stand up and mash to the top.

I'm thinking that 5th gear being 1:1, disabling the internal gear sets has got to be the strongest gear? Thoughts?

dru
    mtbr member
    Sep 2006
    The fixing bolt comes with the shifter. I'd guess you're right about 5th being the strongest. Perhaps a bit stronger than 1st, which has a fixed sun gear. As far as other gears breaking it seems like the pawls are breaking for the most part. I've heard a couple of complaints from mine over the years but it hasn't let me down yet. Stand and mash if you want, I do all the time. Just back off the power when you shift. I'm running 30:20. Had the hub since the spring of '09.

Drew
    occasional cyclist

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    Thanks Drew!

mtbr member
    Dec 2010
    Thinking of switching my single speed specific bike myself, so I will be monitoring this thread...

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    I normally run a KMC Z610 chain on this bike. Will this still be ok?

dru
    mtbr member
    Sep 2006
    Of course. Chains last forever on an Alfine set up btw. Use your MTBR search kung fu. There's already a zillion threads about the Alfine in this forum alone.
    occasional cyclist

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    Thanks Drew. Yeah I've read EVERY alfine thread on here before I made the plunge.

Most seem to be running a 9 speed chain that I could see so I was unsure if a SS specific would have any dramas being a little wider. Didn't think so. Once again - thanks!

mtbr member
    The KMC Z610HX is probably the best chain there is for the job. If it serves you well on a SS it'll be fine with the Alfine - besides, it's what I use

As regards gearing - yes, 5th is probably the strongest gear (in theory anyway) and a lot of the time I ride my Alfine bike much like a singlespeed, in this gear, although geared lower than my singlespeed is, as I'm using 32:22 with the Alfine.
    I've never really been extra considerate to it and ride it just like any other bike - the only thing I never do is change under power.

I have two Singular Hummingbirds and one is set up SS, the other with the Alfine - it's a toss-up which I prefer but, especially in winter here, I'm in no hurry to return to derailleur geared bikes again.

Gratuitous photo as it is now, except it now has the Zerode shifter.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Alfine 8 - a few questions..-hummingbird-alfine-8.jpg  

mtbr member
    Nov 2013
    What is an Alfine mu-s705b di2 8-speed motor unit? I can't find anything about it except it is for sale everywhere from $100-150. The only description I can find says it works with an Alfine 8 speed hub. Is it a motor> How does it work? What does it do?

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    from the Di2 I'd guess it's electric shifting.

mtbr member
    Nov 2013
    Thank you Surestick. That makes more sense than anything else I found. Seems like everyone sells them, but there are no diagrams, drawings, descriptions anywhere.

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by Andy R View Post
    The KMC Z610HX is probably the best chain there is for the job. If it serves you well on a SS it'll be fine with the Alfine - besides, it's what I use

As regards gearing - yes, 5th is probably the strongest gear (in theory anyway) and a lot of the time I ride my Alfine bike much like a singlespeed, in this gear, although geared lower than my singlespeed is, as I'm using 32:22 with the Alfine.
    I've never really been extra considerate to it and ride it just like any other bike - the only thing I never do is change under power.

I have two Singular Hummingbirds and one is set up SS, the other with the Alfine - it's a toss-up which I prefer but, especially in winter here, I'm in no hurry to return to derailleur geared bikes again.

Gratuitous photo as it is now, except it now has the Zerode shifter.
    Thanks Andy! Sorry - I've only just seen this post, missed it somehow. Nice bike! How do you find the Zerode Shifter? Worthwhile upgrade?

will rant for food
    Jan 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by gilly_mtb View Post
    How do you find the Zerode Shifter? Worthwhile upgrade?
    I dig mine, though it is spendy and you have to replace the cable that arrives.

EDIT - I'd also warn you to remove the rubber boot that it comes with near the hub. I theorize it played a part in me getting my cable out of alignment and killing an A8. Still have to take mine apart though, just got it back recently.
    Latitude: 44.93 N

mtbr member
    It's not that spendy if you go down the route of buying a used X9 shifter and just retrofitting the Zerode index plate, which is what I did.
    It's less bulky than the Shimano shifter, looks (and probably is) a classier piece of kit and has a nicer shift action, in my opinion.
    An odd time I miss the gear indicator, usually when I'm selecting the gear I want before tackling some technical section - typically 4 or 5 steps up onto a foot bridge, for example - for stuff like that I need to know what gear I'm in so I get round the lack of indication by changing right down and then back up to the gear I want (usually 5th) while I'm coasting or trackstanding.