Thread: Alfine 8 extras

mtbr member

Alfine 8 extras

Cross posted from my build thread here

Having never put a wheel together. I'm having fatbikes make them up for me but as it only comes with the hub I have to pick up a shifter, cog and small parts kit correct?

Shimano Nexus/Alfine Revoshifter Shift Only
    Shimano Nexus & Alfine Cogs
    Shimano Alfine SG-S501 Small Parts Kit

Colin pointed out that the alfine8 is a centerlock hub so if i'm using the stock bb7 rotor (G2 Cleansweep) I will need an adapter for 6bolts? Could someone link me the correct one to use with the G2/alfine8 (preferably from CRC or Universal Cycles), thanks.

Did I forget anything in regards to the rear wheel setup?

Oh and before I forget does anyone have an idea on what the chainline is likely to come out like....with the raceface atlas (middlering only) 907 frame and the alfine?
    Just curious about whether I need extra spacers or what tricks are used to get it nice and straight.

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    IIRC, those were the only parts I handed over to my builder back in the day. Make sure the small parts kit has the correct non-turn washers for your application. (I think when I built mine up it only came with washers for vertical dropouts)

I also run an Avid rotor on my Alfine hub (roundagon). I used a DT Swiss Centerlock adapter...it's been flawless for me for a couple years now:

Universal Cycles -- DT Swiss Centerlock Adaptor
    (I believe this is the same one I have)

As for the chainline question...I'll defer to others more knowledgeable about such matters

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by OFFcourse View Post
    Oh and before I forget does anyone have an idea on what the chainline is likely to come out like....with the raceface atlas (middlering only) 907 frame and the alfine?
    Just curious about whether I need extra spacers or what tricks are used to get it nice and straight.
    The chainline with the cog dished out will be ~47mm. Shouldn't be a problem with your offset frame. Not sure how that's going to line up with the front, but I'm sure a quick search here will tell you.

Some quick math: 47mm chainline + 18mm chainstay offset = 65mm chainline rear.
    Standard chainline is 50mm - (68mm bbs/2) = 16 + (100mm bbs/2) = 66mm chainline front.

Looks good to me.

Don't forget you have to dish the rear wheel 18mm to the left. Good luck with your build.
    Last edited by Corporal Punishment; 10-15-2012 at 05:30 AM. Reason: poor math skillz