mtbr member
    Jul 2005

Alfine 8 5th gear, 1 to 1

I'm a dinglespeed rider and considering building up an Alfine 8 for a long tour with some bikepacking. Is the hub actually an efficient direct drive in 5th gear? I'm assuming if I ran 32-20 gearing (which I use now) I could still climb and ride trails in 5th gear and, with the exception of the extra weight, still be as efficient as I would be on a freehub. Also will the hub have less stress on it with power used in 5th as opposed to other gears. Thanks!

dru
    mtbr member
    Sep 2006
    If you are riding single speed you'll hate an Alfine the second you pick up the bike. I'd guess it will add 3 pounds.

I've never ridden my Salsa with anything other than the Alfine so I can't directly answer your question. There is some drag for sure; some gears have more, others less.

I wouldn't worry too much with 32/20. That's safe for the hub, and many have gone way lower before blowing stuff up.

Mine's been bullet proof and was installed in the spring of '09. I've even raced it. I treat it the same as any bike with the exception of shifting technique.
    occasional cyclist

mtbr member
    Although 5th gear is a 1:1 ratio it's not direct - the gear train is still used and therefore it's not likely to be any more efficient than any of the other gears. I also find that there's more drivetrain lag in 5th than any other gear, for some reason.
    Yes, it'll add some weight but you soon get used to it - I mostly run mine geared at 32:22 and so far (2 years +) all seems well.
    Mine's done the odd race too - I like it for all sorts of riding but especially technical stuff where the ability to select a gear while coasting/trackstanding is one of the best aspects of IGH's.
    That and having no mech to collect undergrowth.

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Andy R View Post
    Although 5th gear is a 1:1 ratio it's not direct - the gear train is still used...
    Here's how the Shimano 8 actually works.

jd

jrm
    mtbr member

You could also

Set up a 3 spd where the 138% top gear could have the same gear inches as the 32/20 and then the lower two gears could be your lower climbing gears.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by john_dalhart View Post

jd
    So I was wrong then - every day's a schoolday

All the backlash must just come from clutch engagement then - it's certainly the worst gear in that respect.

mtbr member

jd
    Good read. Thanks!

dru
    mtbr member
    Sep 2006

jd
    + 1 rep for you.

'cause I've always wondered how it worked.
    occasional cyclist