mtbr member
    Jun 2009

Alfine 11 - Do they all jump gears?

I have a specialized source 11 that jumps gears in the 7th position. It has been looked at repeatedly by my LBS and by a Shimano tech. I use it only for casual riding/commuting, with only moderate hills.

I have micro adjusted the cable extensively, but have come to the conclusion that isn't the problem.

It usually jumps when I'm climbing out of the saddle, but not always.

Do all these hubs have this problem? Does anyone have one that does not jump gears?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by rootmaster View Post
    Does anyone have one that does not jump gears?
    I've had no problems with my A11. It's used for bikepacking and some trail riding. Lots of steep loaded climbing.
    Safe riding,

Vik
    www.vikapproved.com

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    That's good to know that at least it's capable of not jumping. Specialized is going to replace my hub, so I'm really hoping for the best. I've talked to several people who have them and they all report jumping. Interesting, the Shimano technician adjusted my hub , the yellow alignment dots were not even close to being aligned in 6th gear. Perhaps my hub is way off specification...

mtbr member
    FWIW - this cargo bike service is using an Alfine 11 in at least one cargo bike.

Red Riding Goods | Delivery services by cargo bike

Red Riding Goods | Biking in a Big City
    Safe riding,

Vik
    www.vikapproved.com

mtbr member
    Just thought I should share this, it may possibly help someone.
    Never had an issue until I got a new frame and swapped the Alfine onto it and at the same time shortened the cable.
    I have been using the bike mainly on towpaths and flattish stuff over the last few months whilst getting over an injury, experienced a few misfires but didn't think much of it and just thought the inner cable was catching on the newly cut end of the outer.
    That was until yesterday when visiting a trail centre with a bit more climbing, where the Alfine started to slip in most gears but mostly the second gear.
    Started to investigate the problem this morning fearing the worst, luckily found I had made a school boy error whilst setting it up after I had shortened the cable.
    I had used the pod indicator to set the sixth gear, which turned out was actually the fifth gear doh !!!

Moral of the story is to actually count the gear steps rather than relying on the gear indicator.

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    That's a good thought, I'll have to check that. I seem to have found an adjustment point where the hub jumps significantly less, but it still jumps.

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    Sho'nuff! 6 isn't really 6. I guess that serves me right for actually reading the manual!!

mtbr member
    Yep I had also tweaked the adjustment point until it was ok'ish whilst I wasn't applying high loads.

So you found the same thing?
    If so is it jumping once corrected?

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    yes, mine still jumps, even under moderate loads. Of course it's a lot more of a problem when i'm off center jamming up a hill. I really haven't found any differences when I shift under load or not, but I'm usually careful not to shift under load. It only does it in certain gears, however.

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    I have an alfine 11 that has had all the internals replaced with new ones in 2012 due to some failed parts in the first set of internals. The replacement internals have been pretty solid. It does not skip gears. It does make a clunk sometimes, maybe 10-20 revolutions after shifting gears, but no gear skipping. I beleive Shimano says this is normal operation in the operators manual. I was running the versa 11 shifter, but recently switched back to the shimano rapid fire shifter. The shifting is even more crisp with the rapid fire and feels very solid. I also have an alfine 8. I feel that the 11 shifts better than the 8, but I do think it is more sensitive to cable tension than the 8 is, therefore could misshift easier if there are problems with the cable routing. I have been running the 11 for about a year now and am very pleased with it. We will have to see how the longer term durability is.

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    I just got a warranty replacement wheel and have only put a few mile on it. Still trying to dial in the adjustment. I'll need to put at least a 100 miles on it till I know for sure. The thing about this new hub is that it sounds like it has a bag of gravel in it when I pedal. My last one was almost silent. The Shimano tech put Phil Wood oil in the previous one, I was told. That stuff is pretty thick.

My experience with this hub is also that very small amounts of cable tension adjustment are necessary to get adjustment set correctly. I suspect that the design tolerances on this hub are just not in line with the manufacturing tolerances and quality control, that's why there are so many problems with it. I can't see how manufacturers can spec. this on new bikes, they'll just have a zillion warranty issues. Shimano really needs to fix this.

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    After using the warranty replacement Alfine 11 for about a week, I have come to the conclusion that it's just a faulty design. The new hub jumps just like the original one. This copy has the annoying benefit of being extremely noisy.

I would not advise anyone to buy this hub.

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    I use mine everyday for work (10 miles) and up to 2 hour hilly road rides at the weekend. Had it for over a year in a lightweight urban self build and although I have had some early problems with 2nd gear on hard climbs in the cold, it is pretty faultless now. Have changed the oil one time and once the yellow dots were aligned in 6th gear have not needed to adjust the cable again. Smoother than the 8 speed or Rohloff, but would not use it for xc or trekking as I have less faith in it than both the other internals. It does mildly leak some oil but not enough to drip, just smears the plastic chain guard. Had the Rohloff for over eight fault free years, I just change the oil each winter. Including original purchase price, it will have cost me about 2 a week to put it in perspective.

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    I'm sure some are trouble-free, but from my experiences and conversations with others (actuall face to face, not internet trolls) this seems to be a bit of a crap shoot with this hub. Too bad, because I like it otherwise!