mtbr member
    Jul 2008

Alfine 11 carrier hold plate sheered?

I aquired a malfunctioning Alfine 11 and disassembled it to see what was going on. When I removed the gears assembly from the hub shell, i found that the "sun gear 4 slide spring" was bent out of round and loose inside the hub. When I put the spring back in the groove, the part that juts out is now hitting the part that juts out on the "carrier 3 slide spring". Also, I was not able to see how the "Carrier hold plate" was seated in the hub, as it just fell out upon removal. It looks like there was a notch in the carrier hold plate that slides into a groove on the Hub Axle Unit to keep it from rotating. This notch appears to be sheered off. I suspect this is the cause of the malfunction. The guy claimed that the hub worked in gears 1-6 only. Can anyone confirm the existence of a notch on the carrier hold plate / shed any other light on this?

Thanks.

mtbr member
    I haven't pulled the hub apart, but there are quite a few tips from Shimano for the 8 speed hub here:

Tech Tips

They may give you some indications of the direction to look.

Tim

mtbr member
    Jul 2008

Tech Tips docs.

Great website. I hadn't seen that one. Thanks.

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    I haven't taken mine apart either, but I'd take a look at the clutch as well, assuming similar operation to the eight speed.

From memory, the clutch is used to connect the driver directly to the ring in the 1st gear in the train, (bypassing this gear entirely), it could be that it disengages from the carrier, but is not connecting to the ring correctly, leading the the missing gears?

Might be worth a try anyway

mtbr member
    Jul 2008

Pics of failed parts

Bent stop ring was loose inside hub and notch on carrier hold plate sheered off. Any Ideas on what would cause the notch to be sheered off?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Alfine 11 carrier hold plate sheered?-0721121104.jpg  

Alfine 11 carrier hold plate sheered?-0721121053.jpg  

Last edited by Wishful_Thinking; 07-21-2012 at 10:36 AM. Reason: adding comment