mtbr member
    Jan 2004

Is 5th on the Alfine the most efficient gear?

I asked this in buried in a thread somewhere, but got no reply. I was just wondering if 5th is the best gear to aim for riding in the most (ie the most like my SS gearing). I would be using 32x21 ratio I think.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Wish I Were Riding
    I asked this in buried in a thread somewhere, but got no reply. I was just wondering if 5th is the best gear to aim for riding in the most (ie the most like my SS gearing). I would be using 32x21 ratio I think.
    I don't know for sure which gear is the most efficient, but 5th being the direct drive 1:1 ratio, I would think it would be the most efficient. I am using the same size ring and cog so I can easily swap wheels SS to Alfine, but find I ride more in 4th gear when I am using the Alfine. Maybe the extra weight is slowing me down!

Mark

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by bikeny
    I don't know for sure which gear is the most efficient, but 5th being the direct drive 1:1 ratio, I would think it would be the most efficient. I am using the same size ring and cog so I can easily swap wheels SS to Alfine, but find I ride more in 4th gear when I am using the Alfine. Maybe the extra weight is slowing me down!

Mark
    Good feedback! thanks

Master of None
    Even though 5th is 1:1 I've read it still is not direct drive and that the power still goes through the gears. For whatever that's worth.

mtbr member
    Dec 2008

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by irrah
    So 5th is way better than 4th as far as efficiency then. Good to know. Any idea if there are "premium" Alfine models, or if they are all "premium"?

mtbr member
    Dec 2008
    I think Alfine is basically disc compatible red band premium nexus 8 . Same inner parts.

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    My 5th feels the best for pedaling but kinda whirls when coasting, especially if I backpedal.