mtbr member
    Apr 2007

1x1 and alfine (ratio + chainline ?s)

Call me a newbie with this IG thing, but I've got a few basic questions about the possibility of setting up my 1x1 with an Alfine.

1) What is the optimal cassette/cog setup to get the optimal ratio within Shimano's recommendations? I'm going to hopefully be using this in about 70% XC biking along with about 30% urban riding.

How would 38/18 do?

2) What's the deal with getting the chainline right on the 1x1 frame?

Sorry if these are extremely newbie questions, but I'm looking to learn and get it right. Thanks guys.

dru
    mtbr member
    Sep 2006
    You'd find that gearing really long. 5th is the 1:1 ratio on the Alfine. My hub is coming next week and I'll be running a 32:20 on it, on a 29er. From what I can figure this will give a low gear equivalent to 34:32 on a 26" bike. This is fine for me as I have used my granny exactly once in 4 years of riding.

The 32:20 gearing will give me slightly less than 3:1 on the top, equaling 34:11 for a 26er. This will be almost 3 cogs up (in the big ring) if it is compared to my present ride which has a 44 tooth top. It uses a 32-12 8 speed XTR cassette. I noticed that I rarely ever use 44:12 unless I've got a tailwind, downhill, or I'm sprinting. I do run the next two cog up very often on the roads.

Flipping the Alfine sprocket over gives a 47 mm chainline. Just run your front sprocket in the middle position and you'll be fine.

Everyone I've read about here is breaking Shimano's recommendations for gearing by running lower ratios. No one seems to be having any problems with doing so.

Drew
    occasional cyclist