Thread: 17T cog

bike rider

17T cog

I'm looking for a 17T cog that slips on a coaster brake or Nexus hub. Does anyone know an online source? At our shop I found one 16T in the bin but the rest are all 18T. Our distributor catalogs don't have them and Googling has gotten me nothing.
    Keep the Country country.

mtbr member
    Sturmey Archer makes a 17T cog that will fit a nexus hub, but I think they're only for 1/8" chains.

Sturmey-Archer Spare Parts from Harris Cyclery

bike rider
    As in beach cruiser/BMX chain? No problem as it's for my wife's beach cruiser. This reminds me though, can a 9spd chainring be used with a beach cruiser chain? I'm about to have an extra road crankset I want to put on my cruiser via a BB adapter.
    Keep the Country country.

mtbr member
    It will work because the teeth will fit inside the chain, but it might make a little noise. Probably no big deal for a boardwalk bike. Bad for a high mileage bike.

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    Ah, everybody loves Shimano because...they don't provide parts support?

Fortunately Shimano, SRAM and Sturmey-Archer traditional pattern three-tab IGH cogs all interchange. Sturmey, which does provide parts support for their IGHs, catalogs 17T cogs in deep dished, dished and flat for both 1/8 and 3/32 chain in black, chrome or xylan finish. Of these, retail source Bike Tools Etc shows current stock on the:
    HSL717 black, dished, 1/8
    HSL840 chrome, dished, 1/8
    HSL772 black, flat, 1/8
    HSL862 chrome, dished, 3/32

"Our distributor"? If you're a bike shop, you can get the complete range of Sturmey parts wholesale from a number of places.

mtbr member
    Good find. Its in stock at Bike Tools website: Bike Tools Etc. - 1000's of bicycle tools and parts for the home mechanic!

They nail you on shipping, though. Just found one on Amazon for basically half the price of Bike Tools combined price + shipping: Amazon.com: Sturmey Archer Cog 17T Black: Sports & Outdoors

Can't tell whether its dished or not. But Niagara Cycle is legit. I've bought stuff there before. Bought my Alfine hub there, actually.

Another Retro Grouch
    Quote Originally Posted by john_dalhart View Post
    Ah, everybody loves Shimano because...they don't provide parts support?...
    Do you have a part number for a Shimano 17T cog? I have part numbers for 16, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, and 23 Shimano Nexus cogs but nothing for a 17. I have all the Nexus cogs except for the 16T (don't want/need that size). BTW, Alfine cogs only come in 18 and 20.