Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member

What's in your wallet?

I carry a little folded over Post-It note in my wallet that I keep my wish list for I-bike Dirt Demo. Every time I see or read about a bike I want to try I jot it down.

Here's my list for I-bike Dirt Demo. What's in your wallet?

Intense UZZI VPX
    Intense Slope Style
    Intense Tracer 29 4.75-5.25" 29er
    Turner RFX 6.3" All Mountain
    Titus Rockstar 29
    Ventana El Rey 29er
    Salsa Big Mamma 4" 29er
    Yeti ASR-7 7" All Mountain
    Canfield Brothers One or Can Diggle 7-8" AM/FR
    Voodoo Canzo 4" 29er
    Cannondale Rize 140 5" Trail/AM
    Trek Scratch 7" AM/FR
    Santa Cruz Tall Boy 4" Carbon 29er
    Santa Cruz Driver 8 8" AM/FR
    Rocky Mountain Altitude 4" 29er
    Scott Genius Carbon adjustable travel 100-150mm xc/am
    Transition Covert 5" trail/am
    Titus FTM 5" trail/am
    Last edited by KRob; 09-17-2009 at 02:26 PM.

mtbr member

I'll give it a go

Niner Rip 9
    Titus FTM (Carbon and Al)
    Spec Enduro Carbon
    Trek Remedy
    Trek Session FR
    Knolly Endorphin
    Knolly V-Tach
    Niner WFO
    Trek Scratch
    Anything with a 170mm Lyric
    Anything with Sram XX
    Anything with a new Ti Marzocchi 66
    Last edited by craigstr; 09-09-2009 at 09:44 PM.

nobody
    I used to have green backs in there...now I just have pictures of my wife and kids where my money used to be....
    I'm what Willis was talkin' about

mtbr member
    Anyone else notice that Niner isn't yet listed in the exhibitor list for the Outdoor Demo?

My List;
    Banshee Spitfire
    Banshee Paradox
    Knolly Endo
    SC Tallboy
    Niner WFO
    Pivot Mach 4 & 5 (don't yet distribute in Canada so haven't had a chance to ride yet)
    Turner
    Trek Fuel EX
    Yeti's new 7"
    Canfeild (also not listed for the Demo)
    Ibis Mojo HD
    Surly Pugsly just for a fun break!
    Anything available in XL frame

www.derbyrims.com
    Hey K, I'm planning on being there this year both days. I want to to try anything there between 5 and 7 inch travel. Hope to see you there!

mtbr member

They had one of the biggest spreads last year

[QUOTE=MartinS]Anyone else notice that Niner isn't yet listed in the exhibitor list for the Outdoor Demo?

But I imagine times are tough for Niner with the Jet 9 recall and all of their order fullfilment issues, maybe they cant afford it.

mtbr member
    Sep 2006
    Cool. Between derby and KRob we should have some good reviews.
    I wanted to try to do it this year but $325 the admission fee + lodging would
    have been too much for me.

www.derbyrims.com
    An aging sea level trail rider and a peak fitness XC Enduro to freerider. I rode one day many years ago with KRob near his home in Ely and he is strong. Living at 6000 feet helps. But I heard high altitude kills brain cells He must have plenty to spare!

mtbr member
    Correction, that's aging peak fitness xc enduro to wannabe freerider. And yes, I am losing plenty of brain cells so don't expect much from my reviews. In fact my wife thinks I have ADD, but I don't think...... oh look, a chicken!

I'm adding the new Carbon Specialized Enduro to my list after reading the review in Bike and switching the Remedy (150mm Trail bike) for the new Scratch (170mm AM/FR).

It would be good to see you again Ray.That was a few years back. The HH was brand new when we rode together. Sounds like we'll be seeking out a lot of the same bikes, maybe we can hook up for a couple of rides where we can swap bikes and thoughts. I'll be running CB pedals this year.

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    Turner RFX
    Ibis Mojo HD
    Trek Remedy Carbon
    Giant Reign X
    Titus FTM
    anything with SRAM XX
    Kona Coil Air supreme

see you guys next week.....

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by craigstr
    But I imagine times are tough for Niner with the Jet 9 recall and all of their order fullfilment issues, maybe they cant afford it.
    Just read about that, good point!

lookin' for a hill
    I contacted Niner a month ago... they informed me they would not be at the outdoor this year... boo.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by nikwashere
    I contacted Niner a month ago... they informed me they would not be at the outdoor this year... boo.
    Bummer. Guess I'll scratch the WFO and Jet 9 off my list.

parts leftover
    Hey KRob, how many bikes can somebody reasonably expect to ride during the two days? Here's my list. I'm hoping I'll be able to get to everything.

Ibis Mojo HD
    Intense Uzzi VP
    Santa Cruz Blur LT
    Intense Tracer VP
    Yeti 575
    Titus El Guapo
    Trek Remedy Carbon 9.9
    Turner 5 Spot
    Specialized EnduroSL Carbon
    Pivot Mach 5
    Specialized Epic S-Works Carbon
    Giant Anthem X

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by schlim
    Hey KRob, how many bikes can somebody reasonably expect to ride during the two days? Here's my list. I'm hoping I'll be able to get to everything.

Ibis Mojo HD
    Intense Uzzi VP
    Santa Cruz Blur LT
    Intense Tracer VP
    Yeti 575
    Titus El Guapo
    Trek Remedy Carbon 9.9
    Turner 5 Spot
    Pivot Mach 5
    Giant Anthem X
    Depends how focused and fit you are and how long you have to wait in line for bikes, but if don't take too long of break between rides you may be able to get 5-6 bikes per day doing a good 45-90 minute ride on each. I had help on two runs last year and did the rest on my own and rode 14 bikes. I've got a partner this year so I'm hoping to get to all 20.

parts leftover
    Thanks for the estimate, that's pretty close to what I figured. For the 6"+ AM-FR bikes, do you recommend sticking to the XC route exclusively, or are you shuttling the DH course? How technical is the DH and how long is the wait for the shuttle?

Quote Originally Posted by KRob
    Depends how focused and fit you are and how long you have to wait in line for bikes, but if don't take too long of break between rides you may be able to get 5-6 bikes per day doing a good 45-90 minute ride on each. I had help on two runs last year and did the rest on my own and rode 14 bikes. I've got a partner this year so I'm hoping to get to all 20.

mtbr member

Don't know if it is still the same this year, but Specialized wouldn't let 'non dealers' demo their bikes a few years back (also 'non dealers' weren't allowed in their trade show booth).
    Y'know 'cause their stuff is so 'special'...

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by MartinS
    Don't know if it is still the same this year, but Specialized wouldn't let 'non dealers' demo their bikes a few years back (also 'non dealers' weren't allowed in their trade show booth).
    Y'know 'cause their stuff is so 'special'...
    Spez didn't let non-dealers ride their S-works bikes on the first day of dirt demo last year. Their "booth" last year at the convention center was open and it was actually boring.

Spez last year hung around the weekend after Interbike and let the general public demo their S-works bikes at Bootleg Canyon.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by pedsdoc
    Spez didn't let non-dealers ride their S-works bikes on the first day of dirt demo last year. Their "booth" last year at the convention center was open and it was actually boring.

Spez last year hung around the weekend after Interbike and let the general public demo their S-works bikes at Bootleg Canyon.

That is very cool of them to have let the 'public' have a shot.
    I think it was the 06 IB year that they pulled thet 'dealers only' thing and had big walls around their booth, didn't gain them much good vibes from non dealers/potential dealers though.

mtbr member
    Thanks for the estimate, that's pretty close to what I figured. For the 6"+ AM-FR bikes, do you recommend sticking to the XC route exclusively, or are you shuttling the DH course? How technical is the DH and how long is the wait for the shuttle?
    The only time I ever rode the designated XC loops was when I checked out a Carver Ti 650B hardtail a couple of years ago.

We climb up the canyon on Mother/West Leg or Girl Scout or ride the shuttle to the top and ride off the more techy XC routes off the back... Skyline to West Leg or East Leg.

There are a couple of DH routes off the front (Snake Bite, I think) that are fairly tame for Bootleg that I've taken some of the bigger FR bikes down like the V-tach and the SoCom.

The shuttle wait is rarely longer than 20-30 minutes... usually more like 10-15 minutes.

Dr. Pepper drinker
    Quote Originally Posted by KRob
    Bummer. Guess I'll scratch the WFO and Jet 9 off my list.
    That should leave just enough time for a full 2010 Delirium T demo and review with comparisons to the '09 (just don't let Noel talk you into buying one of the demos this time, he's pretty convincing with that Canadian accent and everything).
    Sipping the Knolly Whisquillappa

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    would love to see your thoughts on sultan vs rumblefish vs stumpy 29 fsr......

mtbr member
    So how'd I do on my list?

Intense UZZI VPX Rode it, liked it.
    Intense Slope Style Not available
    Intense Tracer 29 4.75-5.25" 29er Not available
    Turner RFX 6.3" All Mountain Not available
    Titus Rockstar 29 Not available
    Ventana El Rey 29er Didn't see Ventana this year
    Salsa Big Mamma 4" 29er Rode it.
    Yeti ASR-7 7" All Mountain Rode it
    Canfield Brothers One or Can Diggle 7-8" AM/FR Not available... only had the new 29er
    Voodoo Canzo 4" 29er Didn't look
    Cannondale Rize 140 5" Trail/AM Didn't look. I was snubbing the big box brands this year. See below
    Trek Scratch 7" AM/FR Got snubbed by Trek ("VIP Dealers Only")
    Santa Cruz Tall Boy 4" Carbon 29er Never could get one
    Santa Cruz Driver 8 8" AM/FR Rode it
    Rocky Mountain Altitude 4" 29er Rode it
    Scott Genius Carbon adjustable travel 100-150mm xc/am Looked at it but decided not to ride it... Too many bikes, not enough time.
    Transition Covert 5" trail/am I didn't see a Transition booth
    Titus FTM 5" trail/am[/QUOTE] Rode it

My riding buddy wanted to try some FR/DH bikes so I got some rides in on some bikes I hadn't planned on.... which ended up being some of the most fun I had.

Canfield Brothers Jedi with Elka Shock
    Specialized DEMO 8 II with Elka Shock
    LenzSport PBJ 7.0
    Banshee Scythe
    Turner DHR (DW link Prototype)
    Turner Sultan: I didn't have this on my lista because I rode it last year and loved it, but after riding a few 29er's I wanted to compare them to this standard.
    Santa Cruz Blur LTc. Wasn't planning on this one but we really liked it.

So, of the bikes that were actually available to ride that I had on my list, I did pretty well getting to most of them. I didn't expect to enjoy the DH bikes so much, but they were a total blast. You almost need a whole day for each genre of bike. One day for 4-5" 29ers, one for 5-7" Trail/AM, one for DH/FR bikes.

Beginning of my list for next year:

Turner RFX (If it's ready )
    Titus Rockstar
    Santa Cruz Tall Boy
    Intense Tracer 29
    Last edited by KRob; 10-08-2009 at 10:13 PM.

mtbr member
    [QUOTE=craigstr]
    Quote Originally Posted by MartinS
    Anyone else notice that Niner isn't yet listed in the exhibitor list for the Outdoor Demo?

Anyone else see the 31 page ad they have in the latest MBA?
    I don't quite know what they are thinking, they could have had equal impact with 5 pages really, not being at the demo is odd for a company that encourages us to "Pedal Damn It".

mtbr member
    Pretty good, I tried to avoid the bigger companies too, especially stuff that I can easily test ride locally.

Banshee Spitfire Rode it, it was cool
    Banshee Paradox Rode it, not bad for a 29er...
    Knolly Endo Rode it, loved the rear susp, not crazy about the handling at slow speed/climbing
    SC Tallboy Didn't ride, took out an XL LTc though, pretty nice
    Niner WFO Didn't ride/ Not there
    Pivot Mach 4 & 5 (don't yet distribute in Canada so haven't had a chance to ride yet) Actually didn't ride and I should have
    Turner Didn't ride
    Trek Fuel EX Didn't ride as per KRobs explanation
    Yeti's new 7" Did ride, one of the few XLs available, Nice!
    Canfeild (also not listed for the Demo) Not there
    Ibis Mojo HD Only a proto for show, not rideable
    Surly Pugsly just for a fun break! Didn't need the break
    Anything available in XL frame

Also rode the new Knolly Delerium, it was good fun, enjoyed more than the Endorphin (which I should clarify was a large and a bit too small for me, probably resulting in my personal issues with it)

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast