Thread: What to bring?

mtbr member
    Jan 2007

What to bring?

Third time at interbike but have never been to outdoor demo before. What do I need to bring? The basic's are obvious but what what cleats should I have on my shoes considering I have a few of the more popular ones? One of my reps recommending bring my own pedals but this seems a little unnecessary.

Anything else that a first timer should know? How long should I expect to stand around as apposed to riding? Do I bring my bike?

Nouveau Retrogrouch SuperModerator
    Quote Originally Posted by Cannondale4Life
    Third time at interbike but have never been to outdoor demo before. What do I need to bring? The basic's are obvious but what what cleats should I have on my shoes considering I have a few of the more popular ones? One of my reps recommending bring my own pedals but this seems a little unnecessary.

Anything else that a first timer should know? How long should I expect to stand around as apposed to riding? Do I bring my bike?
    Crank Bros makes pedals available to most everybody for the demo.
    And every place is prepared to swap pedals as needed.
    You can also purchase special color CB pedals at a great price.

Do not bring a bike. Wait time depends on the model and size you want. Have a list of what you want to ride and be prepared to try others as available.

Pack light.
    mtbtires.com
    The trouble with common sense is it is no longer common

mtbr member
    Sunscreen, lipbalm, Chamois butter a plenty, Camelback, bandana or Buff in case of high wind, lightweight knee pads can be handy - Bootleg rocks are sharp and a lot of companies haven't learned to put on heavier duty tires ("see how light our bikes are!") so a patch kit and pump are helpful.

mtbr member
    What the others said. I always bring my own pedals. It's not a big deal to carry them around and I know I won't have any issues with unfamiliar pedals. (Most boothes have CB and SPD stuff available though)

There's lots of free energy drinks, goos, and power bars around, but I always bring a small cooler with some real food in it (Sandwiches, pizza, fruit, chocolate milk, gatorade, etc) and a chair. Of course you have to have a good relationship with at least one of the vendors so you can set up camp in a corner of their tent for when you need breaks.

Like shiggy said, have a list of bikes you want to ride and be willing to take a size a bit too large or too small in order to keep moving (I'm generally in between sizes on most bikes so this works out for me). Get there early (8:00-8:30)

Spare tubes....or you'll be walking bikes out.

Bad Hand In Life

Suggestions...

This being my fourth year going to interbike (and Demo), I've got some thoughts. Yes, to chapstick/lipbalm if you don't live out in the desert normally. Though their are drinks and suppliments available, their really isn't much water to have out there. So, a camelbak with a 100 oz bladder is very desireable. Plus, you can keep your multi tool, pump, spare tube(s), and any free water bottles companies are giving out for refills. Sorry, but water, beer, and a bit of gatorade (gatorade booth) are all that don't make me sick, with all the other sports drinks they have out there.

Thorns aren't really prevalent out there, but tires running at pinch flat pressures are. In the past some companies have required a drivers license and credit card to demo their bikes, which is not super prevalent, but it's not out of the question. The second day is the busiest and it's very reccomended that you arrive to the free shuttle buses to the demo early...there will be a line. With that in mind, the big companies will have crowds and big lines at their booths, which makes the high end, unique, and boutique builders much more favorable in my mind.

PS: Don't stink up the seats on the bikes, the girl at the LOOK booth is very put off by it (funny conversation last year)?
    "It's better to burnout than rust." -- Niel Young

Fine for bike in hallway = $1000
    Fine for shoes in hallway= $1000
    MCRumble + Vans < $1000
    Screw you Joan, and your currupt institution.

mtbr member
    Will companies like Fox, Kali & 661 be there with their pads and helmets be demo? I'm wondering whether I should pack my full face.

lookin' for a hill
    bring everything, expect nothing... ride hard.