fraid of heights

virtual trade show booths?

A week after interbike and the content STILL isn't up yet???

quite the odd year for coverage...
    Last edited by stiingya; 09-29-2010 at 03:06 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by the_owl
    Everytime you ride in mud, god kills a kitten.

No, that's not phonetic
    Quote Originally Posted by stiingya
    quite the odd year for coverage...
    What makes you say that? This frankly seems typical. We complain and they lag. It's Kabuki.

fraid of heights
    Quote Originally Posted by tscheezy
    What makes you say that? Sarcasm I assume? This frankly seems typical. We complain and they lag. It's Kabuki.
    Well they promise coverage, they lag, then we complain. If the banner ad wasn't at the top of every page linking to the unfinished and very lacking virtual tradeshow booth I wouldn't have bothered to mention it. The odd thing is that the VTB's are mtbr's thing, if they don't post the content than why bother with them?

Guess Sin city is just too distracting... no wonder they had to move it!

another day at the office
    Virtual tradeshow booths are continually opening and our highest priority right now. The goal is to have all 41 booths ready for viewing by Friday night.
    Some pain is physical and some is mental, but one that's both is dental.

Grams Light Bikes
    Hmmm, we have been adding normal daily coverage every day since the indoor show started? You must also understand, we start at 9AM at the show, go until 6PM, take a quick shower and recover, then dinner, and back to the room for some work until 1-2AM, then start over again each day. The video work we do takes a lot of effort, and there is only so much time in each day. I still have a couple of daily coverage entries to finish tonight. Patience please!

No, that's not phonetic
    Quote Originally Posted by pastajet
    we start at 9AM at the show, go until 6PM, take a quick shower and recover, then dinner, and back to the room for some work until 1-2AM, then start over again each day.
    I did the exact same thing the times I went to iBike and I managed to post up to a dozen bike reviews and dozens of big detailed pics of the bikes every day I did the dirt demo.

2007 Interbike Dirt Demo
    Interbike 2006 Dirt Demo day 1.
    Interbike 2006 Dirt Demo day 2.
    Interbike Dirt Demo day 1 report.
    Interbike Dirt Demo day 2 report.

I know full-well and first-hand that it is a huge pile of work, and I also know full-well and first-hand that it's possible.

another day at the office
    Of the 39 virtual tradeshow booths, 35 of them are open with content from the show. More videos will be added over the next few days since they take longer to edit and then render.
    Some pain is physical and some is mental, but one that's both is dental.

fraid of heights
    Hmmm, we have been adding normal daily coverage every day since the indoor show started? You must also understand, we start at 9AM at the show, go until 6PM, take a quick shower and recover, then dinner, and back to the room for some work until 1-2AM, then start over again each day. The video work we do takes a lot of effort, and there is only so much time in each day. I still have a couple of daily coverage entries to finish tonight. Patience please!
    I thought the daily coverage was great once I found it! Last Saturday I checked the interbike page as I had been doing for a few days and saw that only the same 2 virtual trade show booths were open, (the two that didn't actually have a booth at interbike), and seeing NO new content I just clicked away...

I guess I should have known from last year and obviously I found it later from a sidebar link, but something to consider when you design the page next year? If the VTB's aren't going to be updated very quickly than why make that the centerpiece of the interbike coverage?

My .02 is that the video's aren't worth the time that goes into them. Even if you get a clear shot, and there's not too much background noise, the people being interviewed are often just not that great on video... too many um's and ah's! A product shot with description is much quicker to view IMO.

fraid of heights
    I did the exact same thing the times I went to iBike and I managed to post up to a dozen bike reviews and dozens of big detailed pics of the bikes every day I did the dirt demo.

2007 Interbike Dirt Demo

I know full-well and first-hand that it is a huge pile of work, and I also know full-well and first-hand that it's possible.
    For a long time I had thought this WAS mtbr's interbike coverage, (the dirt demo part), that you were part of the site or being co-sponsored or something. This is the kind of coverage I want!!! awesome job!

Pics/information/done!

Grams Light Bikes

2007 Interbike Dirt Demo

I assume you also had multiple appointments with vendors during the outdoor portion as well, plus walking around and taking notes on the new stuff and trends? And then continued on indoors with 15-20 appointments, followed by normal walk around in the monster convention layout? There is a whole lot more going on then just bikes at the Outdoor demo (and indoors). Personally, after a few years of sprinting around in 100 degree heat, you get a burned out on doing that many rides.

In addition, bikes are extremely hard to get for rides, getting a dozen good rides in on specific bikes (heck any bikes) has almost been impossible the last two years. You need to sprint in at 9AM and find your chosen bikes, else you may never get a chance to try them.

You did an excellent job on those write up's, but a forum entry is pretty easy compared to the standardizations which must be followed for the daily coverage entries, load balancing, number of picture per page, paginating, grammar, spelling, etc., all must be taken into consideration, adding additional time to the workload.

You are all welcome to volunteer next year to do the demo's! We asked, but not many to the bait?

No, that's not phonetic
    There is a whole lot more going on then [sic] just bikes at the Outdoor demo
    I respectfully disagree. For riders, there is nothing other than the dirt demo. The floor show is a hug BS session. Case in point: the virtual tradeshow booths. Mtbr's totally lopsided "coverage," nearly ignoring rider feedback from the demo (this is a mountain bike review site, last I checked), and focusing almost solely on reprinting the ad copy from a company's marketing arm is shameful in my opinion. I know a lot of work goes into it, but it seems like misdirected effort.

Go early on Monday with a couple of other guys your same height and who ride the same pedals and get bikes. Go up West Leg and come down Girl Scout and Mother. Swap bikes often. Compare impressions. Write notes. Use the Turner van as a staging area for your crap and bring a cooler full of food and drinks. Get more bikes. Repeat as often as you can muster. Tuesday is harder as more folks show up. Ride the shuttle to the top more to save energy and park yourself at booths waiting for the right size bike to come back to the pits. Be persistent.

I know how it works and the floor show is stupid imho. Folks love saddle-time feedback. Hardly anyone ever gave a crap if I walked the floor or not.

fraid of heights
    I assume you also had multiple appointments with vendors during the outdoor portion as well, plus walking around and taking notes on the new stuff and trends? And then continued on indoors with 15-20 appointments, followed by normal walk around in the monster convention layout? There is a whole lot more going on then just bikes at the Outdoor demo (and indoors). Personally, after a few years of sprinting around in 100 degree heat, you get a burned out on doing that many rides.

In addition, bikes are extremely hard to get for rides, getting a dozen good rides in on specific bikes (heck any bikes) has almost been impossible the last two years. You need to sprint in at 9AM and find your chosen bikes, else you may never get a chance to try them.

You did an excellent job on those write up's, but a forum entry is pretty easy compared to the standardizations which must be followed for the daily coverage entries, load balancing, number of picture per page, paginating, grammar, spelling, etc., all must be taken into consideration, adding additional time to the workload.

You are all welcome to volunteer next year to do the demo's! We asked, but not many to the bait?
    For comparison, check out his "forum entry" on the Knoly Endorphen, then jump to your current "virtual trade booth coverage" of the new Knoly Endorphen SL.

I agree yours "looks better", but from his coverage a person gets informed on the product and could probably go a long way to narrowing down a buying decision. From your coverage a person gets a nice picture and a copy and pasted corporate PR line and NO product info... Big difference!!!

Grams Light Bikes
    It has become a sick mad house trying to get a fave bike to test, but being persistent and lucky does pay off (as you stated). I always ride Mother, both up and down the entire length, it's the only way to truly get a full feel of a bike (not a downhill bike of course). Myself and the rest of the forum appreciate the demo stuff that others post, please volunteer for next year, we are always looking for help?

I don't do the virtual stuff myself. Between the BS (marketing hyperbole) there is a lot of useful information, especially if you know the engineers and product guys and girls (most are my friends). You need to listen between the lines. Bikes have all sorts of components hooked up to them, in addition to apparel, nutrition, etc., that is used for biking, so covering the entire spectrum is important (others may want to hear about it?). An example was Easton and Giro shoes, neither was indoors, but I found out a lot about the new Easton Havoc line and the Giro Code shoes, which I wouldn't have if I didn't take an extended break during the outdoor portion.

Yes, demo ride impressions are the soul of biking, but as a media rep I am bound by other matters and requirements, such as complete show coverage, else Interbike wouldn't let me attend. Meaning I have accountability for myself, my blog, the consumers, MTBR.com, the vendors and Interbike.

Hopefully Outerbike will open up the doors for more guerrilla posting of demo rides, I am all for it! I didn't see anyone complaining about the lack of demo ride info from Eurobike? Thanks again for your postings!

Leg Shaver
    they are weak this year. thumbs down
    Why are there so many threads about cheap ass bikes?

mtbr member

Work is called work for a reason dude...man-up. Face it, you have an awesome job. no real back-breaking manual labor, You take pictures, shoot video, ride bikes, drink tequila and write about it...
    If Huffy made an airplane, would you fly in it?

banned
    Apr 2010
    It's pretty easy to go to other sites. Even the manufacturers are unveiling their products on other sites. Even the ones mtbr makes fun of.

mtbr member
    Sorry, It's usually not the workers' fault. Management would love for you to think so, however. Typically management is to blame as they can be very bad at allocating enough resources to complete a given task in a reasonable amount of time...Maybe MTBR.com could have a contest. The reward would be a free trip to Interbike. Awardees would be responsible for picking up the slak on menial tasks so you can focus on the important stuff, like Tequila. Oh, and the awardees probably oughta get a big ole schwag bag...
    If Huffy made an airplane, would you fly in it?

Grams Light Bikes
    Quote Originally Posted by damnitman
    Sorry, It's usually not the workers' fault. Management would love for you to think so, however. Typically management is to blame as they can be very bad at allocating enough resources to complete a given task in a reasonable amount of time...Maybe MTBR.com could have a contest. The reward would be a free trip to Interbike. Awardees would be responsible for picking up the slak on menial tasks so you can focus on the important stuff, like Tequila. Oh, and the awardees probably oughta get a big ole schwag bag...

Heck, I would like a free trip to Interbike and Sea Otter, that would be sweet, and would make my Wife (the family budget manager) happier.

mtbr member
    i remember the good ol days of interbike. Gregg standing in the MTBR.com booth all by himself giving out stickers.

back to interbike. MTBR is the big dog on the block. their presentation is slick and takes time. A shop rat can go to the shop and snap a pic on his phone and have it sent to his facebook in seconds. Then people like me who were sitting at their computers all day looking for interbike pics could grab it and blog it asap. There is no way MTBR could keep up with guerrilla reporting or pic posting.

my blog is still humming from interbike pic traffic and i just uploaded more pics this morning.
    Last edited by bighit; 10-07-2010 at 11:21 AM.