Nouveau Retrogrouch SuperModerator

SURPRISE! Another date/location change

Message from IB:

Today Interbike emailed a letter to retailers and exhibitors announcing that it has reversed its decision to move the show to Anaheim in August 2011, and will move it back to Vegas for the week of September 12. Interbike made this decision after gaining strong feedback and support for September dates.
    mtbtires.com
    The trouble with common sense is it is no longer common

mtbr member
    May 2009
    sweet

Correction: Interbike to Stay in Las Vegas through 2012
    Here's an excerpt from a recent email we received:

"Due to the overwhelmingly positive response to this yearís show and the countless conversations we have personally had with retailers and exhibitors regarding the future dates and location of Interbike, we are reversing our earlier decision to move the 2011 show to Anaheim in August.

While we will never be able to achieve a complete consensus among the global audience of 24,000 people and more than 5,000 businesses that attend and exhibit at Interbike, at this point in time itís clear that the industry prefers September dates in Las Vegas. Given that, we are announcing that the 2011 Interbike show will return to the Sands Expo and Convention Center in Las Vegas September 14-16, with the OutDoor Demo taking place at Bootleg Canyon on September 12-13. The 2012 show also will be held at the Sands in Las Vegas September 19-21, with the Demo to be held September 17-18.

Interbike has always been--and will continue to be--the industryís show and will always keep the needs of our retailers firmly in mind. At the end of the day, your commitment to cycling retail drives this industry, and without your participation Interbike doesnít exist. We have heard your passion and commitment to this event and we want you to know that we are listening. We believe the new direction will best serve the current needs of the marketplace.

As we craft future strategies for Interbike, we will make every effort to ensure we are working with a broad base of retailers, exhibitors, media and advocates to continue to deliver a dynamic, efficient and unifying event for the US marketplace. We also will continue our commitment to providing more value at Interbike by showcasing emerging trends, increasing industry networking opportunities, and continuing to provide relevant and timely business education."

mtbr member
    Sweeeettt!!!
    "It looks flexy"

mtbr member
    Jun 2008

Welcome Back!

When a DT Swiss rep at the show this year mentioned that the Anaheim deal wasn't finalized, us locals knew Interbike would be back.

We're looking forward to somebody's "surprise" new bike next year.

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    Yes Thank you to the powers that be! I am now excited again to be back at Interbike. Check out the blog in my signature, I should have some of the official info listed shortly!

Former Ninja
    Jul 2005
    We were actually looking forward to going to Disneyland after a hard day on the show floor...aww...

mtbr member
    Dec 2005

Good

To move the show to one coast (making East coaster travel across country) and move the date to August which is the heart of the cycling season was a idiotic idea to begin with. I'm not a Vegas fan but they do have a good infrastructure to support the show and are centrally located for everyone.
    Randy

No, that's not phonetic
    Jeezus, if they are going to vacillate so much, couldn't they also move it back a few weeks so that it's not so damn HOT?? I mean 100 freaking degrees for the dirt demo is insane. Mid-October, perhaps?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by tscheezy
    Jeezus, if they are going to vacillate so much, couldn't they also move it back a few weeks so that it's not so damn HOT?? I mean 100 freaking degrees for the dirt demo is insane. Mid-October, perhaps?
    Ditto. It's been 95+ even at the end of September the past three or four years. Another vote for mid-October.

mtbr member
    I have to wonder if the whole thing was a marketing ploy. With the "soft" economy, maybe the Interbike folk put the whole "This is the last year in Vegas" ploy out there to get people to go to Vegas/Interbike for one last hurrah.

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    ^^ Didn't work. I know more people that didn't go this year than usual. Officially the numbers don't agree with my personal observation but I can tell you that it was quite a bit quieter on the show floor this year than the last few and that made it much easier to walk around than I've gotten used to.

I would really rather see it in late January/early February in Vegas or maybe something like the few days leading up to Sea Otter in Monterrey. I don't know if there are the facilities there to support 20,000+ people that aren't camping though. Are there enough hotel rooms and restaurants or would people have to drive 20-40 miles each day before and after the show for these things? I say Sea Otter because it's the perfect time for product intros as far as the consumer is concerned and that's also the time retailers are getting energized for the upcoming season and are willing to commit $$ which is what the suppliers all want anyway.