No Gansta Lean here.
    Feb 2004

Split-Pivot frames unveiled?....

Maybe I missed it but there was some info. on other threads here on mtbr that some would be shown.
    Anyone know of any?
    EWR-HE-148-11-4-97
    Microbeer's Better!

mtbr member
    http://www.sicklines.com/interbike2008/pivot/

is this what you are looking for?

No Gansta Lean here.
    Feb 2004
    I saw the Pivot frame. At first thought that it was but...no.
    Through research....a lot of it with threads with DW chiming in right on this site....(Nothing wrong with that....I'm a DW fan!)....Split Pivot was to be an "Affordable" alternative for a rear end that small(er) builders could afford with not as tight tolerances, multiple design options, etc. and get GREAT quality travel.
    Lots of talk about simularities with the big "T's" ABP, legal issues, etc. But, last I heard, thought that there may be a number of unveilings at Interbike 2008.

www.split-pivot.com to see the rear that I'm talking about.
    EWR-HE-148-11-4-97
    Microbeer's Better!

No Gansta Lean here.
    Feb 2004
    No other hits on this subject?
    EWR-HE-148-11-4-97
    Microbeer's Better!

mtbr member
    Split pivot may be in limbo due to the dealio with Trek using it on their bikes for 2009 (well their version of it whatever it is called). So perhaps it is another legal issue between Dave and another big company - not sure though.

With that said - did you see the new Evil Revolt? www.evil-bikes.com

No Gansta Lean here.
    Feb 2004
    Just wondered as it was DW himself on some thread...somwhere....I think that it was on here, actually that he said that we should be seeing some "unveilings" of split pivot at Interbike this year
    With it being aimed at "smaller builders" with it's less strict mfr'ing tolerances, etc. I just thought that it may have been overshadowed by the DW/Turner news, etc.

MMcG, I'm waiting on something else East Coast Dually, actually....
    EWR-HE-148-11-4-97
    Microbeer's Better!

troubled economist
    Like an EWR dually, perhaps?
    dig...

No Gansta Lean here.
    Feb 2004
    I'd love to know what those guys have up their sleeves....

Was mentioned that they eventually plan on doing one in the article on them in BIKE an issue or so ago.

Until then....I'm content...to wait...and see.

Good bunch of guys, those EWR fellas are!
    EWR-HE-148-11-4-97
    Microbeer's Better!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Eastcoaster
    Lots of talk about simularities with the big "T's" ABP, legal issues, etc. But, last I heard, thought that there may be a number of unveilings at Interbike 2008.

www.split-pivot.com to see the rear that I'm talking about.

what they really need to do is a concentric BB and axle suspension. no chain growth/pedal feedback, no brake jack. perfect.

willy2004
    Braking neutrality can be tuned independently of acceleration characteristics, and leverage rate curves can be tuned to meet the needs of the application.

I don't know what braking neutrality or "leverage rate curves" are, nor am I optimistic that tuning either one will make me go faster or feel better on or after a bicycle ride.

If it truly rides differently, a test ride might make me a believer.

In dog years, I'm dead.
    Quote Originally Posted by willy2004
    Braking neutrality can be tuned independently of acceleration characteristics, and leverage rate curves can be tuned to meet the needs of the application.

I don't know what braking neutrality or "leverage rate curves" are, nor am I optimistic that tuning either one will make me go faster or feel better on or after a bicycle ride.

If it truly rides differently, a test ride might make me a believer.
    Essentially, a single-pivot bike is tuned to give you a compromise ride between the way the suspension reacts while pedaling vs. the way it reacts while braking. The pivot location is what determines this tuning (amongh other variables like frame geometry & shock/fork selection). In some bikes, the pivot location favors efficient pedaling, making it a better climbing bike. In others, the pivot location favors braking, giving it a better downhill feel (I know I'm being overly simplistic here). In theory, the split pivot is a way to get a better compromise for both pedaling & braking. It is like having one pivot location while braking & a slightly different one for pedaling. Still a compromise, but perhaps a better one.

If theory can be successfully executed into reality, the test ride should tell the difference compared to a single pivot for both climbing & descending. I just hope DW can get one out in the market soon. He might be in the process of legal action with Trek. If so, don't expect him to comment publicly.
    Whatever your hand finds to do, do it with all your might.... (Ecclesiastes 9:10)

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    I was confused at lack of info too....don't know why Trek using ABP would slow down DW, he said a while back that he's the only one that has patents in.

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    i think dave weagel had already shelved the split pivot design. Turner was interested in the split pivot but it ended with dwl because as dt said dw told him that dwl is much better than the split pivot.

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    maybe it was temporarily shelved because DW-Link design was needed for Turner, so that took priority rather than replace his work with split-pivot?