Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: RASE post

mtbr member
    Feb 2004

RASE post

Did anybody check this out at IB? http://reviews.mtbr.com/interbike/ra...able-seatpost/

I've been wanting for a long travel quick adjust post for years and finally somebody is making one. The GD only goes up to 4" and that's not enough to reach full pedalling height and full seat slam for the steep drops.

I'm skeptical about the reliability and durability but I'd love to hear if anybody actually got to touch and feel?

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    Bah! $400 and its got a worthless 1-bolt seat clamp setup - no thanks!

mtbr member
    Feb 2004

Those compromises are worth the 9" drop for me

It's no Thomson but it has its advantages

mtbr member
    May 2007
    Very excited by this. My Speedball is great but way too short. Nine inches sounds good to me. Let's hope it's reliable. One day all bikes will come with something along these lines. Once you have a telescopic post it's hard to imagine ever riding without one.

swag ho Administrator
    video and report available here:

http://reviews.mtbr.com/interbike/ra...able-seatpost/

fc
    IPA will save America

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by tim.johnston
    One day all bikes will come with something along these lines. Once you have a telescopic post it's hard to imagine ever riding without one.
    Both me and my friend use to own one. He got a GD first and then I got a AMP. Neither of us own one anymore. They aren't as useful in some regions. Out west or on trails with long sustained climbs sure, but here in the East its cost/benefit isn't good enough.

mtbr member
    May 2007
    True Syadasti, does depend on terrain. Personally I run my seat high as I can get away with, so being able to lower and raise fast on the move over technical sections is invaluable. Have got into quite a rhythm with the speedball ( lever under seat version ) that I barley notice I'm doing it.

mtbr member

Rase seatpost rocks!!

Installed the Rase Post on the 09' Moment a few weeks back. The whole idea of dropping your seat from full extension to launch mode on the fly is a dream come true. Gravity drop just doesn't cut it.

Early morning run down Nobel Canyon's 14 miles of boulder gardens and fast single track requires some adjusting. Why give up your spot at the front of the line when you can adjust to any position at full throttle. First test proved its well worth the money and I might add weight penalty.

The post was stiff, response time on the lever was fast and reliable, and it just plain works awesome.

You can set height limit screw to stop right where you need it. I'm 6'4" so full extension is just perfect.

There is some minimal play and noise while in the saddle, but I can get used to it. Should it be compared to a standard non-adjusting post? Probably not.

Looking forward to see how well it performs on a muddy day!

BMJ
    "42 lbs and climbing!"
    So, how's it still working out for you?

Mud?
    Are you running the Neoprene boot?

Not a fan of the lever! How much cable does it pull, maybe I can retrofit a different lever.

Thanks!!!

mtbr member
    Was interested, but an extra brake lever......no thanks.

mtbr member
    That was me.

# Jason Says:
    May 13th, 2008 at 11:35 am

I have talked to the People at Rase and they are working on making it smoother and the lever is going to be smaller.
    It will be really competitive from what i am hearing. Light. Smooth, more adjustable than anything in its class.
    Here are some of the features I have noticed that are no available on the other posts.

It has an offset. That is something I really like. I race with a lay back seat post . I thought I woulod never find a post that was quickly adjustable and has a lay back off set. When racing some of the DH here is Ca it helps to be able to pop your seat up a little in places. It is a big plus in Super D racing.

It also come is a 31.6 so it can work on the larger seat tubes. The GD does not . They told me to buy shims.
    I told them that sound like a band aid fix to a simple problem and Iím not into it. I sold the GD.
    To put shims in the seat tube of a $2800.00 frame just seems silly. So I went back to my Thomson layback.

A feature that this post has over the speed ball is it is a more positive locking set post meaning it will not pull up and out when you go off a jump and squeeze with your legs like the speed ball.
    Me being a Moto X racer I use my legs a lot to hold on to the seat.
    When the seat pops up 4 inches that would alow the bike to drop . That is no good for me. I tried it . I hated it.
    I sold it . It did come in a 31.6

I cant wait to try the new Rase seat post. It sound like it has everything I am looking for.
    WWW.OCBIKEDOCTOR.COM
    IT'S NOT WHO YOU CAN LIVE WITH IT'S WHO YOU CAN'T LIVE WITHOUT.

BMJ
    "42 lbs and climbing!"

Hey Jason.

So your at Intense now. Cool!

I've been corrisponding with Austin at Rase for the past two weeks. I live not too far away from him and he said they should have the new lever set up in house for me to try out by next weekend. He also said that they should be available to ship in a few weeks, maybe sooner. It should be interesting to see how its functions compared to my Speedball.

I wasn't sure I'd make use of the Speedball when I first got it, now I use it ALL the time! The problem is now I want MORE! 5 plus inches would be great for the boulder strewn terrain here in New England. I wasn't sold on their old off the shelf lever design. The new one sounds quite svelte!

Are you running the outer neoprene sheeth?

I'm going to bring my EVO with me to check fit when I see him. Austin has concern about the seat tube angle and bend half way down interfering with the posts function. He did say that the post can be limited in both up and down travel to custom tune. We'll have to wait and see.

I'll let you guys know my thoughts. I'm VERY picky in my product choices!

mtbr member
    I don't have the sheeth. I am hoping that Austin will send me the sheeth with the new lever.

The Drop will have 9 inched of adjustable seat post.

The cool thing is you can set it up so to limit your throw if 9 inches is to much movement. For some people with shorter legs the difference between xc setting and DH setting is only 5-6 inches.

I was on an Uzzi today and had to move my seat 4 times.

Quote Originally Posted by BMJ
    So your at Intense now. Cool!

I've been corrisponding with Austin at Rase for the past two weeks. I live not too far away from him and he said they should have the new lever set up in house for me to try out by next weekend. He also said that they should be available to ship in a few weeks, maybe sooner. It should be interesting to see how its functions compared to my Speedball.

I wasn't sure I'd make use of the Speedball when I first got it, now I use it ALL the time! The problem is now I want MORE! 5 plus inches would be great for the boulder strewn terrain here in New England. I wasn't sold on their old off the shelf lever design. The new one sounds quite svelte!

Are you running the outer neoprene sheeth?

I'm going to bring my EVO with me to check fit when I see him. Austin has concern about the seat tube angle and bend half way down interfering with the posts function. He did say that the post can be limited in both up and down travel to custom tune. We'll have to wait and see.

I'll let you guys know my thoughts. I'm VERY picky in my product choices!
    WWW.OCBIKEDOCTOR.COM
    IT'S NOT WHO YOU CAN LIVE WITH IT'S WHO YOU CAN'T LIVE WITHOUT.

mtbr member
    That looks pretty cool. I didn't see that last year. I'll look for them this year.

I like my speedball and probably don't need 9" of travel unless I get a bike with a much shorter seat tube than my large 6.6 but I do wish it could go down a little further for bigger drops and such.

Having the front open like that makes me wonder about strength. But from the video the action looks smooth and the multiple engagement points along the travel is a good thing. It also seems to click in place solidly.
    Last edited by KRob; 09-08-2008 at 08:59 AM.

BMJ
    "42 lbs and climbing!"
    So, without the sheath, do you find a gunk problem. I can't tell from the pics, but it looks like it might have a lip seal intergrated into the stationary lower portion. Is this correct?

How's the action on the post? With such a long post, do you find binding if you put too much weight on it when compresing the post? Does it use bushings between the moving parts or is it just aluminum on aluminum?

The website doesn't show much about the internals. What's your thoughts?

BMJ
    "42 lbs and climbing!"
    So I got a look at the post in person today. Austin is a real cool guy, very enthusiastic!
    You have to see it up close to appreciate the caliber of the design. Up till now, the photos on line haven't impressed me but seeing up close is a different story.

Action was good, My Speedball is a bit smoother. Like the GD and AMP posts, it's mechanical and feels like it. Not a problem, just a comparison. The nine inches is awsome compared to the 3"s I have now.

He has a new lever design that is going out with all the new orders. It's quite svelte! It's like a tiny brake lever with only 3/4s of an inch to grab with your index finger, not thumb like the other brands. Nothing like that Tektro lever they were using before. It's primo machining and fits snuggly between the grip and brake lever. He said he'd be posting an update online soon.

The machining and consept of the post are solid. I'll get you an update when I receive mine and put it through it's paces.

mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    Look forward to seeing more.

BMJ
    "42 lbs and climbing!"

Still waitin'

Quote Originally Posted by JoshG
    Look forward to seeing more.

Haven't got it yet. Austin said things went great at Interbike, but sadly, slowed down progress in sending out product. Should be going out this week....I hope.

Very eager to give it a thorough thrashin'!

BMJ
    "42 lbs and climbing!"

Got my post today!

Just finished mounting it up. So far so good.

My initial thoughts are these....

Pros
    -Nice clean design.
    -Solid locking mechanisim.
    -Nice little lever design.
    -FULL DROP!!!

Cons?
    -Has a fair amount of play, for and aft, rotational, and a little up and down with the pin seating (most likely to keep things from binding. My Speedball has a fair amount of rotational play as well.).
    -I'm not fond of the fact that the cable is crimped at the lever instead of the post like my Speedball (I believe that GD and AMP use a crimp at the lever as well.).
    -Uses a spacific cable made by Rase with a stainless steel pin cast right on the end (Austin explained it was the best way to support the weight of the rider and keep the device simple. Could be an issue down the road if new ones are hard to come by.).

I realize that the Cons list looks long, it's just that I wanted to be able to explain my thoughts thoroughly.

I'm going to hit the trails with it on thursday night. The trails we'll be riding are a mix of large rock gardens, lots of roots, a handfull of large "up-&-over" boulders and fast smooth single track. I'll should have a more educated report and SpeedBall comparison for you by this weekend.

BMJ
    "42 lbs and climbing!"

So, my thoughts.

I was planning on putting out my thoughts of this post sooner but I wanted time to feel it out.

So, I'm back on my SpeedBall.

The Rase post really didn't agree with the seat tube angle of my Chumba EVO or my particular riding style. The seat tube angle on the EVO is pretty slack, though not as slack a Maverick bike. The angle and the full extension of the post put way too much load on the mechanism and would cause severe binding when trying to lower it in a pinch. This was an issue for me because I prefer to raise and lower my post many times throughout the ride and usually after I'm in the thick of it. I find that the SpeedBall suffers none of this binding and responds instantly even under full load! The big bummer is that I would have loved to have had the 9 inches available to me but I much prefer to have 3" of silky action at my command.

I've never used a GD or AMP product and don't know if they exhibit any of the binding issues. I guess the best way to use this product is to plan where you want the post well in advance to dropping into the nasties. Just not my riding style is all.

Another product I did get to try out with high hopes was the Kind Shock KS-900r "Cobra" post. This post looked promising due to fact that it looked to function like the SpeeBall but with 5 inches. When I received it I was very disappointed to find out that It too suffered from binding as well as it had a very slow return rate without any way that I could see to speed it up. The SpeedBall and Joplins, you can just add more air pressure to pop them up quicker. The remote lever was very ergonomically unfriendly as well. If you did choose to go with the remote version of this product, I would suggest sourcing some other type of lever to make it fuction.

mtbr member
    I emailed Rase about the binding issue the previous poster mentioned, here is their response.

I have people with super slack frame angles using our post and they say that all a person needs to do is use the post for a short while and lowering the post/seat at the right angle becomes automatic.

This guy actually came here and we checked out the post with his bike.
    His frame angle was actually very slack at around 68 degrees.

I even told him that he might have a binding issue with such a slack frame.

Very few frames have such a slack angle accept downhill rigs where the post cannot fully lower anyways.

I think if this guy had adapted to the post a bit more he would not have had a problem.

Generally, there are no issues with our post sticking at all.

All the other comments about our RASE post on mtbr.com are more respectable.

Other questions, let me know!

Thanks,

Austin Walsh
    RASE Components

BMJ
    "42 lbs and climbing!"

My response.

Quote Originally Posted by bogey
    I emailed Rase about the binding issue the previous poster mentioned, here is their response.

I have people with super slack frame angles using our post and they say that all a person needs to do is use the post for a short while and lowering the post/seat at the right angle becomes automatic. It's no where as automatic as any of the other posts I've used which include the Speedball (the smoothest), AMP and Cobra i900.

This guy actually came here and we checked out the post with his bike.
    His frame angle was actually very slack at around 68 degrees. Agreed, although we never actually measured it's angle.

I even told him that he might have a binding issue with such a slack frame. Austin's only concern at the time was of my frames ability to utilize the full length of the post and the seat clamps limited angle adjustability, not binding. The binding issue didn't come up untill I brought it up after using his product.

Very few frames have such a slack angle accept downhill rigs where the post cannot fully lower anyways. More and more frames are coming with some strange angles and shapes.

I think if this guy had adapted to the post a bit more he would not have had a problem. This is the only post I've ever had to think of adapting to. It should be second nature and if it utilized tighter tollorences and some sort of lubricating bushing system, maybe it could.

Generally, there are no issues with our post sticking at all. "Generally".

All the other comments about our RASE post on mtbr.com are more respectable. The other comments are more respectable because he likes them better. One has to take the bad with the good. I've offered a handfull of input that could help make his post better and he pu-pu's them like he knows all. I'd love to give a run at a 9" post but with the added leverage against his product the tolerances and a really good teflon bushing system along with a harder surface coating like on a suspension fork would go a long way! For $400-, this post should be functionally a no brainer.

Other questions, let me know! Same.

Thanks,

Austin Walsh
    RASE Components

I hate to jump on peoples products, I much prefer to give them rave reviews. I feel I need to put my 3 cents in on this one for a few of reasons. $400- is alot to spend! There isn't alot out there about this product. I can't sit by and not put in my thoughts when others might be concidering spending this much as well. I appreciate Austin taking the time to meet with me initially and the fact that he was gracious enough to take the post back when I wasn't satisfied, but I don't appreciate the fact that he finds my posting not to be respectable!

mtbr member
    Thanks for the response BMJ, I found your comments very useful. I agree, $400 is a premium price, and it sounds like this issue isn't consistent with the premium bike component niche.

However, I don't see any disrespect in Austin's response, just his point of view.

Thanks again for being so thorough in your review. I have to believe Rase will look seriously at resolving this issue with their next revision.

mtbr member
    Jul 2005
    I could guess Austin has confused the word respectable with 'positive'. Or at least I would hope!

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    I have been using a RASE post for a couple of months now and love it. I like it much more than my previous Joplin R. There is a very little bit of play, and its louder than the Joplin but it works much better.

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast