Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5

Thread: RASE post

Gotta pay to play
    sounds good. I'll be on the look out.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by RASER View Post
    The new Full Adjust Seatpost will be presented here on MTBR before anywhere else. If all goes as planned, we'll have test riders report in, give a broad outline of the product and give the new product name and website.

Cheers,

Austin Walsh
    Developer of the RASE Seatpost
    I'm a newb and have been in the market for a dropper seatpost and I have a beginner's question. What is the purpose of having a super-long drop? If I understand things correctly, about the maxium drop my bike could handle is 5-in./125 mm. Kind Shock has a 6" model, but if I put that on my bike the seat would be too high at maximum extention. I've seen the RASE and would consider this new one, but I don't understand how more drop could be of any use?
    The secret to mountain biking is pretty simple. The slower you go the more likely it is you'll crash. ~Julie Furtado

Gotta pay to play
    Quote Originally Posted by Porschefan View Post
    I'm a newb and have been in the market for a dropper seatpost and I have a beginner's question. What is the purpose of having a super-long drop? If I understand things correctly, about the maxium drop my bike could handle is 5-in./125 mm. Kind Shock has a 6" model, but if I put that on my bike the seat would be too high at maximum extention. I've seen the RASE and would consider this new one, but I don't understand how more drop could be of any use?
    Many seatposts have a minimum amount of exposed seatpost needed for a given amount of drop- so most of the time you'll always have 3 inches exposed.

You'll have to determine you seatpost diameter and then look at the various options out there to see what max drop you can get with only a 5 inch exposed seatpost.

The RASE looks really good because it fits a 27.2mm seatpost and offers max drop. There aren't currently many options for those of us with 27.2mm seatposts.

The RASE is also mechanical (springs) as opposed to hydraulic (air or oil). KindShocks just came out with a hydraulic 27.2mm with an oil reservoir.

For me personally, since I have a 27.2 mm. I've only got a few options:

Gravity Dropper- only offers 3" of drop for the exposed 6.5" of seatpost I run.
    RASE- Gives me the full 6.5" of drop (maybe a little less because the sock will bunch up).
    KindShocks Super Natural 272- offers 4" of drop. From the threads I have seen as of late KS is having customer service issues. This is also a new system, it is hard to find, and people don't have a lot of experience with it. It is also hard to tell how much exposed seat post is needed for the 4".

For me the RASE seems like the clear winner and since Austin (the designer) is working on a new build that should be ready in the next couple of months- I'm just going to wait.

If you have a larger diameter seatpost you have way more options. The Specialized Command Post is supposed to be good. Giant just came out with a new one. Crank Bros' one has always had horrible reliability issues but rumor is that they are getting better. and there are the options I listed above that are available in larger sizes stock or with a shim.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by michaelscott View Post
    Many seatposts have a minimum amount of exposed seatpost needed for a given amount of drop- so most of the time you'll always have 3 inches exposed.

You'll have to determine you seatpost diameter and then look at the various options out there to see what max drop you can get with only a 5 inch exposed seatpost.

The RASE looks really good because it fits a 27.2mm seatpost and offers max drop. There aren't currently many options for those of us with 27.2mm seatposts.

The RASE is also mechanical (springs) as opposed to hydraulic (air or oil). KindShocks just came out with a hydraulic 27.2mm with an oil reservoir.

For me personally, since I have a 27.2 mm. I've only got a few options:

Gravity Dropper- only offers 3" of drop for the exposed 6.5" of seatpost I run.
    RASE- Gives me the full 6.5" of drop (maybe a little less because the sock will bunch up).
    KindShocks Super Natural 272- offers 4" of drop. From the threads I have seen as of late KS is having customer service issues. This is also a new system, it is hard to find, and people don't have a lot of experience with it. It is also hard to tell how much exposed seat post is needed for the 4".

For me the RASE seems like the clear winner and since Austin (the designer) is working on a new build that should be ready in the next couple of months- I'm just going to wait.

If you have a larger diameter seatpost you have way more options. The Specialized Command Post is supposed to be good. Giant just came out with a new one. Crank Bros' one has always had horrible reliability issues but rumor is that they are getting better. and there are the options I listed above that are available in larger sizes stock or with a shim.
    Thanks for the info. I need a 30.9 post, so there are more options. I probably would have already bought the Specialized Command Post Blacklite, but they are out of stock everywhere. (Specialized is putting them on new bikes, so they are in very short supply.) I like the idea of a mechanical post since all the hydraulic ones seem to have at least some problems--with the RockShox Reverb being the worst. I'll see if I can wait until the new post here comes out and compare.

Again, thanks for the help.
    The secret to mountain biking is pretty simple. The slower you go the more likely it is you'll crash. ~Julie Furtado

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    Michaelscott makes some good points that there are a number of great features to the RASE post. Like the fact that it is available in a 27.7 mm and is extremely dirtproof and reliable even without using the cover. I could never get the RASE post to not work solidly no matter how much mud was put on it, the spring has also been always reliable.

An important point too is that the RASE post, and the new model, have a maximum range of over 9 inches, much like a standard seatpost. Yet, the post is able to be pre-set to stop at any preferred height, be it 6 inches, 7.5 inches or wherever, in half inch increments. This system is able to fully lower to 2 inches from seat rails to the frame no matter how high you decide to set the max height at, unlike all the other systems that loose their full lowering capacity when the max height is set.

With three different large size bikes, I use between 8 and 9 inches of height adjust for a full range of control and efficiency. The new design will also have a highly reliable, dampened air spring system.

Cheers,

Austin Walsh

Gotta pay to play
    An important point too is that the RASE post, and the new model, have a maximum range of over 9 inches, much like a standard seatpost. Yet, the post is able to be pre-set to stop at any preferred height, be it 6 inches, 7.5 inches or wherever, in half inch increments. This system is able to fully lower to 2 inches from seat rails to the frame no matter how high you decide to set the max height at, unlike all the other systems that loose their full lowering capacity when the max height is set.
    Ahh. I didn't realize that the RASE could only lower to 2" above the seatpost. with 6.5" inches of exposed seatpost on my current ride- it still gives me 4.5" of adjustment, way more than any other seatpost- especially with 27.2mm.

Porschefan- I'm wonder how tall you are and what size frame your bike is. Seems like you don't really have a lot of exposed seatpost to play with. You'll only get 3" with the RASE (which will be plenty) but you might find that the other brands of posts aren't going to be able to work with you.

The only thing I'm worried about with the RASE is the rattle and side to side play that other mtbr users have talked about. I'm not so concerned about the side to side but I think the rattle would drive me bonkers. Very eager to try out Austin's new product.

mtbr member
    Sep 2011

New post - is it 27.2mm with more than 4inches?

The new Full Adjust Seatpost will be presented here on MTBR before anywhere else. If all goes as planned, we'll have test riders report in, give a broad outline of the product and give the new product name and website.

Cheers,

Austin Walsh
    Hi Austin,

Sorry to bother you with more questions about the unreleased product but I am just wondering if the new Full Adjust Seatpost will be available in a 27.2mm diameter with more than 4 inches of travel? Or should I pursue other options?

Just trying to find a dropper post that is 27.2mm and has more than 4 inches of drop (aside obviously from RASE).

Cheers
    Andrew

mtbr member
    Sep 2011

Cheers,

Austin Walsh
    Hi Austin,

Sorry to bother you with more questions about the unreleased product but I am just wondering if the new Full Adjust Seatpost will be available in a 27.2mm diameter with more than 4 inches of travel? Or should I pursue other options?

Just trying to find a dropper post that is 27.2mm and has more than 4 inches of drop (aside obviously from RASE).

Cheers
    Andrew

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    Hello Sols,

Good question, I would have liked to accommodate the any people with 27.2 frames.

Yet,the new Full Range seatpost is intended to be lighter and extra strong. I could not achieve these goals with a 27.2 configuration, so the new post will start at 30.9 mm and go up to 34.9 mm.

Cheers,

Austin Walsh

mtbr member
    Jul 2004
    I have a rase seatpost and can't imagine riding a post again without this range of travel.
    I have a 27.2 seatpost size.
    Are these going to be continued to be made?

Greg

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    Hello Greg,

I agree, a full span of height adjustability defines an MTB seatpost.

RASE will probably continue to make the 27.2 mm seatpost.

Cheers,

Austin Walsh

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    aasad

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    asd

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    zxc

ventanakaz
    Hello Greg,

I agree, a full span of height adjustability defines an MTB seatpost.

RASE will probably continue to make the 27.2 mm seatpost.

Cheers,

Austin Walsh
    ...@RASE so do you have a date as to when your seatpost will be out. i would like to buy one ;-)...ralph
    i need to ride more. building jumps takes to much time...my other hobby is kicking the crap outta my home built mook jong.

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    Hello 1962,

Development is moving along. I'd like it to be out by spring, we'll see.
    The new seatpost design probably won't be a RASE product, but a new name.

Cheers,

Austin Walsh
    Developer of the RASE seatpost

mtbr member
    Dec 2008
    Austin,

Any word on the new post? 6 inch KS is a worthless piece and I am looking for a new post. I need about 8 inches for my Canfield One. Is there any kind of preorder list available?

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

I think you'll be waiting some time.

Saw this link when trying to get an update....

Austin Walsh of RACE Components LLC, (bicycle) at gobignetwork.com

He did have a 3 page website up but I can't find it now.

10" post. New clap (Thompson like) etc.,

...was originally supposed to be out this spring...website said coming in Summer/Fall....didn't say which year....I wouldn't hold out much hope for this summer/fall.

I think I'm giving up and going with a GD.

mtbr member
    Dec 2006
    so is this ever gonna happen?
    '14 rocky mountain altitude, rally edition
    '11 transition blindside

mtbr member
    May 2007
    Hi
    After some searching seemslike this is the best thread about these to I have the same few problems with one of these (on a trasinstion covert) , the other on a blindside works great
    - cable/ferule exit on post alignment messes up due to low top tube (will post pics later)
    - locking pin sometimes lets post slide down, (I hope never up on a jump)
    - spring seems weak to make post rise to top
    - binding

The other one I have works great
    Will try to lube more, i did appy light layer of grease ever, will try lighter lube, oil or dry lube
    Will also try the electrical tape ferulle exit
    I think it needs to break in or there is some uneveness/bent somewhere
    Cable not in bad shape and post really hasnt got that much use (5-10 rides)

≈ > ♥
    Any news on the new posts?

Austin's Race post, or on the new Rase post?

Gotta pay to play
    The new RASE post is out:

RASE | Black Mamba Rapid Adjust Seatpost...The Ultimate Adjustable Bike Seat Post

Old one is phased out it seems. Looks like it went from a 9 inch max drop to 8 inch- which is still pretty darn good.

There are no videos or reviews of the new post anywhere on-line...

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    Too little too late.

mtbr member
    It says zero offset, but one is shown in the picture.

The Black Mamba could not support the weight of a bike, either in the clamp of a repair stand or on a hitch mounted bike rack. Can this one do either?

Is there a weight?

mtbr member
    May 2005
    Yeah, the pic looks like it's the old model (which I own) and honestly I hate the cable location and how crappy it's held in. Also says the new one has a 2 screw clamp and I sure don't see that in the pic.

Not holding my breath for a new Rase.
    2013 Banshee Spitfire V2 650b

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5