Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: RASE post

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    I think it would be a mistake to drop the layback altogether. It has been said many times on this thread that there is little other choice for those of us who need layback. In fact I can't think of another post in 27.2 that offers layback, unless you count GD i beam. certainly this was the driving force behind my purchase.

I would suggest offering a range of clamp options, ;layback,, inline and maybe i beam too.

mtbr member
    May 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by _markus View Post
    Thanks Austin,

you´re right the offset isn´t that much but on uphills it´s enough to make it very uncomfortable and exhausting.With a straight seatpost I have absolutely no problems on the same bike. I´ve alredy put the saddle as much forward as possible.

Hopefully Rase will make the straight head.
    Interesting to read this and yes that 1/2" does make a difference. I also have the Rase post on my Prophet and had been having issues with the front on technical uphills. I didn't want to mess with my bar/stem so I crammed the seat forward the last 1'2" it would go. Much better now and I think more comfy as well. Would perhaps be intetesting to try a straight clamp if it was interchangable with the layback. Knee angle would need to be watched though.
    2013 Banshee Spitfire V2 650b

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    The present RASE seat clamp is retro-KORE inspired design that we really like for its clean lines and its capacity to support the seat rails really well, being that it has 1/2 inch of setback.

We're presently working on fine tuning the counter rotational system for maximum performance. We want to further develop the counter rotational system that is both durable and not cause any stiction, as having the seat post get to the right position and solidly lock in place is our first priority.

Even with dirt thrown onto the entire system, it will easilly adjust along its full range of adjustability and solidly lock into any one of its twenty locking holes, to remain the most reliable of all adjusting seatposts. In general, we know that people are not always going to use a boot/cover, so the post is presently designed and will continue to be solidly locking, completely operational and reliable no matter how much dirt is tossed at it, even without the boot/cover.

Back to the seat clamps, we are thinking about reducing the setback by half to 1/4 inch, to somewhat accommidate both the inline and setback riders to start. I think this will generally be a good start. Further future plans should also cover a variety of clamps.

Cheers,

Austin Walsh
    Developer of the RASE Seatpost

mtbr member
    This didn't come out in your post but I would suggest offering a second clamp that reduces the setback by 1/2 to 1/4 inch, so that those that need the setback aren't left in the cold.

Also, can you tell me if the seatpost can be used on a bike stand clamp?

My top tube is not straight and I use one of those bike frame adapters to transport my bike on my vehicle bike rack. The adapter clamps below the seat rails on one end and below the stem on the other so that it can be suspended on the bike rack arms. Can the RASE also be used to transport bikes in this fashion? It is essentially holding the weight of the bike (in conjunction with the stem) on the rack.

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    Hello Dr. Zoidberg,

I agree that having a 1/4 inch of setback will be the best way for us to initially accommodate people looking for an inline or a setback seat clamp. We will also have a full variety of great clamps in the future.

The RASE main post is made from a solid bar of 7075 AL and the locking system is extra solid and reliable. It could be fine to use the RASE post in a bike stand clamp,yet, as rugged as the post may be, you also would definitely not want to somehow damage the front of the post in a bike stand clamp.

The bike rack system that attaches to the seatpost, sounds a bit too risky for any adjusting seatpost flying down a highway. Also, the random forces of the rack to the bike could potentially cause some minor but effecting damage.

Thanks,

Austin Walsh

mtbr member
    Dec 2006
    Im stoked to hear a version with less, or zero, offset is in the works. I've wanted a RASE for so long, but my bikes' slack seat tube angles (banshee rune, sc bullit 2.0) absolutely necessitates a straight post, so I've held off on getting one. i even emailed the company back in February, to see if the zero-offset clamp i've heard whispers of was in the works, she said possibly but might be quite a while, the engineer who had started that idea was no longer working there; so i just figured it wouldnt ever happen. She didnt seem to have any idea what the difference was (in one email she confused saddle offset with saddle angle,) or why it was necessary for some. She also thought that not having that option was not costing them any sales (even though it cost them my sale!) I even emailed her a link to this thread, where many state that they havent bought one because of this.
    Anyway, good to hear they're finally coming along; i can stop wearing out my seat tube and thomson elites! (Im always raising/dropping my seat). Even if they're 1/4" offset, I think that'll work for me. But Im really hoping for straight. and they should definitely also keep the offset option for those who need it.
    Last edited by dwyooaj; 06-26-2011 at 10:40 PM.

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by dwyooaj View Post
    Im stoked to hear a version with less, or zero, offset is in the works. I've wanted a RASE for so long, but my bikes' slack seat tube angles (banshee rune, sc bullit 2.0) absolutely necessitates a straight post, so I've held off on getting one. i even emailed the company back in February, to see if the zero-offset clamp i've heard whispers of was in the works, she said possibly but might be quite a while, the engineer who had started that idea was no longer working there; so i just figured it wouldnt ever happen. She didnt seem to have any idea what the difference was (in one email she confused saddle offset with saddle angle,) or why it was necessary for some. She also thought that not having that option was not costing them any sales (even though it cost them my sale!) I even emailed her a link to this thread, where many state that they havent bought one because of this.
    Anyway, good to hear they're finally coming along; i can stop wearing out my seat tube and thomson elites! (Im always raising/dropping my seat). Even if they're 1/4" offset, I think that'll work for me. But Im really hoping for straight. and they should definitely also keep the offset option for those who need it.
    Absolutely right!
    In my opinion an i-beam option would be great too.

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    Looks like I'm going to be bringing my designs for an even stronger, lighter, super dirtproof and extra reliable Fully Adjusting Seatpost to a new company instead.

Cheers,

Austin Walsh
    Developer of the RASE seatpost

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by RASER View Post
    Looks like I'm going to be bringing my designs for an even stronger, lighter, super dirtproof and extra reliable Fully Adjusting Seatpost to a new company instead.

Cheers,

Austin Walsh
    Well keep us posted about its availability. And make it so that it CAN be used with a bike repair stand and bike racks that require a frame adapter.

think name says enough...
    Jun 2008
    I love what Austin Walsh has accomplished, so far!

I look forward to the future iterations, options, replacements and complimenting models...

And a modified version, or another model (with many interchangeable parts), that allows some 'cush' or suspension to take out the harshness of some bikes initial (stiction or designed) reluctance to travel...

I have a Long-Travel Cane Creek Thud Buster on my 7" Yeti as-X and 8" Lenz Sport Pro Descender, as well as my rigid 29er and a few other bikes...
    I also have some KS-i800 adjustable height seatposts with built in suspension on a few bikes...

I would LOVE a remote actuated height adjustable Thud Buster or Moxey, or better yet,
    a RASE 9" Remote-Actuated Height-Adjustable Seatpost with 4" of built-in Shock Absorption!!!

I would be happy to help you design and prototype and test and promote and distribute this Shocking RASE Seatpost...

When do we start?

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    The new Fully Adjusting Seatpost WILL actually be able to be used in a bike stand, as the main post will be configured as solid as a standard seatpost. I'll save more details until the new seatpost is released.

Thanks 1StuntMonkey for the enthusiasm. It is very likely that a suspension plus height adjusting version will be out soon. The main priority is that the post will be as strong as any standard seatpost yet it will also be very lightweight. The new Fully Adjusting Seatpost will also have a very reliable locking system.

Send me a direct message here and let me know how we could work together.

Cheers,

Austin Walsh

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Good to here about your ideas for a new seatpost Austin!

It would be great if you´d offer a inline replacement head for the Rase seatpost

I moved back to a regular seatpost because the Mamba´s offset in combination with my bike is no fun.

mtbr member
    Aug 2011

Cheers,

Austin Walsh
    Does this mean you are not working with RASE any longer? Are they still running without you? And most importantly, when is the new super post going to be out? Thanks.

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    Hello Pukulan,

I started RASE with a group called ProDev a few years ago. I left RASE a couple years ago to develop designs for a new stronger and lighter Fully Adjusting Seatpost. I put together five new patents for these new designs. There is already one component company developing one of these designs. I was going to get back with RASE, but I decided to start a new company instead, where I can stay in control of insuring the highest levels of quality and performance. This new company is a great mix of MTB personalities from across the U.S. and some other companies.

The new Fully Adjusting Seatpost 10 should be out as soon as we can fine tune the prototypes and do some testing, or maybe even sooner through the other company.

Cheers,

Austin Walsh

Turner of Wheels
    (Sorry to post here, but forum won't let me PM or email yet)

Hi Austin,

Been following the RASE thread, was excited to hear of your even newer, better design.

I was wondering if you could mention anything re when this might be available.

I was ready to buy the Reverb, but was not 100% happy with only 5": it would have meant that I would still need to lower the whole assembly in order to slam my seat as much as possible (I do trials).

So I looked online to checkout the other longer-travel options and found the RASE. Besides the awesome range, I liked the fact that it seems that the in-frame part was not that long, which meant that I would indeed be able to slam my seat to the bottom: other designs might still require me to drill out my upper water bottle mounting bung to allow the outer post to drop down enough; still though, some designs might even have internal post clearance issues — I'm not sure, even about the RASE

I have a good price lined up for the Reverb, but if your post will be out soon, and especially if it's maybe less expensive than the RASE(???), I'd happily wait a short while!

Any insight would be much appreciated!

Also, I ride a medium Rockhopper hardtail — any foreseeable issues with being able to slam the seat all the way with your new design? (will I need to maybe machine out the upper bung, etc?)

Thanks!
    Brian in SoCal
    I make things with wheels go REALLY fast.

Turner of Wheels

New seatpost info?

***OK, why is this also showing up way at the top, and where is the delete option???***

(Sorry to post here, but forum won't let me PM or email yet)

Hi Austin,

Been following the RASE thread, was excited to hear of your even newer, better design.

I was wondering if you could mention anything re when this might be available.

I was ready to buy the Reverb, but was not 100% happy with only 5": it would have meant that I would still need to lower the whole assembly in order to slam my seat as much as possible (I do trials).

So I looked online to checkout the other longer-travel options and found the RASE. Besides the awesome range, I liked the fact that it seems that the in-frame part was not that long, which meant that I would indeed be able to slam my seat to the bottom: other designs might still require me to drill out my upper water bottle mounting bung to allow the outer post to drop down enough; still though, some designs might even have internal post clearance issues — I'm not sure, even about the RASE

I have a good price lined up for the Reverb, but if your post will be out soon, and especially if it's maybe less expensive than the RASE(???), I'd happily wait a short while!

Any insight would be much appreciated!

Also, I ride a medium Rockhopper hardtail — any foreseeable issues with being able to slam the seat all the way with your new design? (will I need to maybe machine out the upper bung, etc?)

Thanks!
    Brian in SoCal

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    Hello Brian,

The RASE post and the new Full Adjust System model use the same inserted depth into the frame as a 400 mm seatpost. So use a standard 400 mm seatpost to check if a frame has any interruptions or water bottle rivets in the way first. I've found the water bottle rivets pop out with a little force from a lowering seatpost, although I'd check with any manufacturers on that first.

The new Full Adjust System will slam all the way down for a full range of height options, to make you go even faster with even greater control. It should be out in between three and six months and cost around $300.

Cheers,

Austin Walsh

mtbr member
    Aug 2008

Just bought a RASE seatpost

Austin

I have been following this thread for insight into this product. I've emailed with Prodev (Laurie Kench) for 2 weeks, and she has responded to my questions that I had. So yesterday I took it on my first ride. This place in NJ I rode was very technical, and I had to stop and get off my bike often. Now comes the one big problem. When I jumped off the seat and stood over the frame, my body came down on the cable right where it comes out of the seat post. This caused a kinking of the entry point, so that when I jumped back on the seat, the seat immediately, fell down, even when I didn't touch the lever. I have a Turner five spot, and the only way to run this cable is on the top of the top tube. This is not good because the cable exits the seat post parallel to the ground and sits too high from the bike top tube. If I try to flex the cable downward and tie it down, it may not work as well when I actuate the lever. What I need are two rigid elbows pieces to bring the cable down and forward, so it runs closer the the frame when exiting the seat post. Can something like this be done to the cable? To be honest I think the exit point of the seat post needs to have a longer sleeve, so the cable crimp can seat deeper inside, and not flex at the point they meet. I can wobble the cable so easy, and it just takes a slight push or pull on the cable to cause the seat to drop.

As far as all the other comments people have made, I don't care about any rattle, I just want the seat to go up or down when I want it to, and not on it's own.

Thanks
    Eric

Hello Brian,

The RASE post and the new Full Adjust System model use the same inserted depth into the frame as a 400 mm seatpost. So use a standard 400 mm seatpost to check if a frame has any interruptions or water bottle rivets in the way first. I've found the water bottle rivets pop out with a little force from a lowering seatpost, although I'd check with any manufacturers on that first.

The new Full Adjust System will slam all the way down for a full range of height options, to make you go even faster with even greater control. It should be out in between three and six months and cost around $300.

Cheers,

Austin Walsh
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails RASE post-cable-complete.jpg  

RASE post-straight-cable.jpg  

RASE post-bent-cable.jpg  

mtbr member
    May 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by l84thsky View Post
    Austin

I have been following this thread for insight into this product. I've emailed with Prodev (Laurie Kench) for 2 weeks, and she has responded to my questions that I had. So yesterday I took it on my first ride. This place in NJ I rode was very technical, and I had to stop and get off my bike often. Now comes the one big problem. When I jumped off the seat and stood over the frame, my body came down on the cable right where it comes out of the seat post. This caused a kinking of the entry point, so that when I jumped back on the seat, the seat immediately, fell down, even when I didn't touch the lever. I have a Turner five spot, and the only way to run this cable is on the top of the top tube. This is not good because the cable exits the seat post parallel to the ground and sits too high from the bike top tube. If I try to flex the cable downward and tie it down, it may not work as well when I actuate the lever. What I need are two rigid elbows pieces to bring the cable down and forward, so it runs closer the the frame when exiting the seat post. Can something like this be done to the cable? To be honest I think the exit point of the seat post needs to have a longer sleeve, so the cable crimp can seat deeper inside, and not flex at the point they meet. I can wobble the cable so easy, and it just takes a slight push or pull on the cable to cause the seat to drop.

As far as all the other comments people have made, I don't care about any rattle, I just want the seat to go up or down when I want it to, and not on it's own.

Thanks
    Eric
    All good points that I agree with on the current Rase post. I have the same issues with the cable on my Cannondale Prophet and although not a deal breaker it is a pain to have to keep an eye on it and constantly have to adjust the bend so it has nice transition into the post.

The solution to this IMO would be to have the entry poiint of the cable on the back of the post where you would never hit it and a nice loop up from the bottom could be made or the use of some kind of rigid noodle type thingy for the bend into the post. I kind of wonder if seat clamp could be removed from the post and flipped 180 degrees to do this. Maybe Austin would know or a call to Rase. Obviously that would require a new longer cable as well. That would fix my main gripe with the current post. Also the exit point does need to be longer or a better design to hold the calbe better.

Other than that it's good. Yeah it's got some rattle/play but I NEVER notice it while riding and other than the cable issue it always works. More than I can say for many of the newer posts out there that seem to fail on a regualr basis. I also use the protector sleeve and keep the shaft and adjustment holes lightly lubed with Tri Flow. Function trumps looks (although the sleeve really isn't that bad) and I never have problems no matter what the conditions. 1/2" adjustments are probably overkill but If I really wanted to remedy that issue all it would take is blocking off the adjustment holes with set screws.
    2013 Banshee Spitfire V2 650b

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    Hello 184thsky and Skidad,

I agree that the post should not easily unlock as this is why a very strong little spring is designed in to be placed behind the lock pin. Your system should be a bit difficult to unlock as I think positive locking is very important.

The cable housing ferule should(was designed to) fit snug into the lock opening. If the cable is set too tight it will make unlocking quicker, and if the cable is set too loose then the ferule may come out of the lock opening to much and actually get the ferule wedged out from the lock opening, where it might pull on the cable.

It should be generally easy to see if the cable tension is set right, you simply need to be sure that the cable is tightened to the lever, (1) when the pin is fully locked into one of the locking holes (2) and then there is no observed tension or extra looseness from the cable at the shifter (when the cable housing end with ferule is fully positioned within the lock opening).

Jagwire does make a variety of semi-flexable housings and noodles for then providing routing solutions also. The Jagwire cable guides are good, yet using a narrow roll of electrical tape will hold the cable down and in exactly the right place the best, provided your paint can handle that level of adhesive.

The cable should/may have the end welded so that changing the housing or ferule may not require switching out a new cable in the process. You may need a longer cable anyways.

Be sure not to turn the post/clamp around as this would put the open channel at the back to make for a much weaker post. With mud coating the back of a seatpost it also just seems good to keep openings and connections at the front.

You should have the pin locking solidly. Let me know how it goes.

Cheers,

Austin Walsh

Turner of Wheels
    ...The new Full Adjust System will slam all the way down for a full range of height options, to make you go even faster with even greater control. It should be out in between three and six months and cost around $300.

Cheers,

Austin Walsh

Hi Austin,

Belated thanks — sorry!

On the other hand, I was needing to get something to hold me over, but as it's been a couple months already, I was wondering how everything's been going with the new post/company — any refinement on the timeframe? (I could definitely hold a few more weeks ;-)

Anyway, just thought I'd check in as new info's always fun!

Thanks,
    Brian

Gotta pay to play
    Quote Originally Posted by RockHopper II View Post
    I was wondering how everything's been going with the new post/company — any refinement on the timeframe? (I could definitely hold a few more weeks
    +1

In the market for a adjustable seatpost and want to get Austin's new design.

Do you have a website up? ETA for product launch?

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    Hello,

I'd like to have the new post out very soon, yet prototyping and organizing always seems to have more details and take longer then expected. It's all moving forward well, but it may even take a few extra months.

Cheers,

Austin Walsh

Gotta pay to play
    I'd like to have the new post out very soon, yet prototyping and organizing always seems to have more details and take longer then expected. It's all moving forward well, but it may even take a few extra months.
    Austin,

Thanks for the update. Is there a website/facebook/distro list I can get on so I can know when the post is out?

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    The new Full Adjust Seatpost will be presented here on MTBR before anywhere else. If all goes as planned, we'll have test riders report in, give a broad outline of the product and give the new product name and website.

Cheers,

Austin Walsh

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast