Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: RASE post

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    2nd the request to keep the layback.

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    Going on almost a year and mine is still working great. I just keep it clean and lube it once in a while. I do not ride it all the time here locally, but ANY time I go to the mountains or someplace I've never been I'll take it... it's my "security blanket"!
    Best racing series in the West!
    http://www.bicyclingevents.com
    Helmet cam reviews
    http://www.helmetcamreview.com

mtbr member
    Jun 2008

length?

I've been looking at these, could be promising. My frame needs a 27.2, so that rules out some other brands, and 9" of drop sounds sweet. My main concern is, what is the total (exposed) length of the post at max extension? (meaning height above the seatpost clamp) My frame has only a 16.5 inches seat-tube for a medium frame, so I gotta run a pretty long post to get proper pedaling position uphill.

mtbr member
    Jul 2005

Drop Post for road riding

One of the things I hate about road riding for even 5 minutes is that you almost never move on the seat, and my butt just can't take it. That is one reason I dig MTB so much more, you're never in the same position for very long.

However for a few months I started hitting a river path when the trails were too muddy and even went on my first couple of road rides (knobby tires and all). One thing I found was that I actually love having the drop seat on the road because I like being able to change the seating position.

I commented on this before; if I have my RASE at the highest position it's actually too high to use all the time. I'm over extended and I'm sure it would cause some injury if I only rode like that. But for a minute or two it's great. I find it changes up my legs muscles and stretches them out. Lately I've found that I adjust through the top few holes (1.5") all the time, I reckon there's even a market for a 2" drop post for roadies as conventionally they are stuck with one position the entire ride. (many hours in some cases)

The other huge benefit is for when you're screaming down a hill at 40mph. There's no real need for a drop post, but it's sure fun to have. I drop the Rase about 7" and low ride down. I feel in more control and I can sit somewhat upright still with less wind resistance. It's awesome and a ton of fun. It also puts me in a completely different position again which seems help with the fatigued muscles too.

I wanna hit the road a lot more this year and I was thinking about getting a road bike, but I've decided (as I happen to be upgrading my MTB wheelset) to put some slicks on the old wheel set and road ride with the MTB, Rase post and front shock included ! Part of my decision was, "well, if I get another bike for the road I won't have the drop post, and I like the drop post..."

mtbr member
    Jun 2005
    I recently purchased the Rase Seatpost used after using a Specialized Command Post for 6 months or so.
    The Command Post is way better than the Rase on side to side play and lever feel, etc.
    But... i need way more than 4in of travel so i needed the Rase. I guess i am stuck.
    The Rase Seatpost is crazy loud on the DH when out of the seat. It rattles like crazy. I thought something was wrong.... well, i still think so. I understand machine tolerances, but dang, this thing sounds super loud. It ruins my helmet cam audio cause it drowns out the normal MTB sounds of the bike and ground. The post moves up and down when the lever is pulled fine (greased up) and is OK to ride with. I do like it being more mechanical with springs vs. the air and seals of the air posts, but it is definitely not as good from side to side and up and down play as the Command Post. The CP is pretty dang good.

Does anyone else think the Rase Seatpost is too loud or rattles too much on the DH?

I should post some raw helmet cam footage.

BMJ
    "42 lbs and climbing!"
    I had the Rase post for a short while. I liked the 9" drop and I thought the spring system worked pretty nicely. But, you are right, It wiggles in every direction possible creating a crazy racket where ever you go! I have other issues with this post but yes, it's LOUD!

I'd like to see them do some revisions, I think it could be a good contender.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by tsunayoshi
    2nd the request to keep the layback.

Ditto - the only other adj seatpost with an offset is the Joplin - don't make those that need an offset use a joplin - please don't!

mtbr member
    Jun 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by BMJ
    I had the Rase post for a short while. I liked the 9" drop and I thought the spring system worked pretty nicely. But, you are right, It wiggles in every direction possible creating a crazy racket where ever you go! I have other issues with this post but yes, it's LOUD!

I'd like to see them do some revisions, I think it could be a good contender.

I posted above about the crazy rattle when riding...
    I actually sent in the post cause i thought something was actually wrong with the post. They tested it and said it was within spec but they were still going to try and update it with this new sleeve or something. After a 3 weeks of having it, they said it was not working right. So they are sending me a completely new post with this new sleeve or something. I should be getting it this week and i will write back when i get a few rides on it. I hope this thing has less rattle. I can't stand crazy noises when riding.
    But i do give Rase a very good rating on customer service. Huge detailed replies by email from the technician. Very professional as well.

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    any update on when a seatclamp without offset might be available for the Rase?

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    Never I hope. Or at least only as part of a range that still includes layback.
    There are many inline adjustable posts on the market. RASE's main advatage is it's layback

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Nsynk
    There are many inline adjustable posts on the market. RASE's main advatage is it's layback
    Ditto.

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Nsynk
    It said earlier in this thread that there might be a straight seatclamp that could be used to replace the offset one on old posts..... since I already have a RASE, it would be nice to be able to change as I have it slammed as far forward as it can go and would still like to push it a little more. It would be great to have a choice.

I happen to think the main advantages to the RASE post are that it works (unlike the Joplin), has many adjustment positions (unlike the Gravity Dropper) and has more drop than any other post. Disadvantages for me are the offset, and (while I have not yet had any problems) the inability to repair or replace a damaged or dirty cable without sending it back to RASE.

≈ > ♥
    Did the inline seatpost clamp ever become available?

I've been holding off on a purchase, waiting for it to come out.

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by zahgurim
    Did the inline seatpost clamp ever become available?

I've been holding off on a purchase, waiting for it to come out.
    I emailed RASE in July or August to ask if a new clamp would be available and they eventually responded that the company has a lot of other things on the go (other non-biking product lines) and the addition of a zero offset clamp was not imminent..... it really didn't sound like there was anything going on in that respect. So I wouldn't wait for RASE if I were you. If I were buying new right now, I'd be looking at the new RockShox Reverb, although it's a little scary buying a 1st generation product.

The RASE does work well, but I would really like a zero offset.

mtbr member
    Any update on whether the new RASE post eliminated the rattling?

mtbr member
    Jun 2005
    I had my RASE post sent in like 6 months ago and they tried to update the sleeve on it but couldn't. So they sent me a whole new post with the new sleeve on it which was supposed to eliminate the rattling a bit. It was absolutely no different. I sold it right away and got a KSi950. Way better. That RASE post made me so pissed off while riding. It sounded like my bike was broken while riding. The rattling is so loud, my helmet camera picks it up super loud.
    That bad.
    Over it.
    Buy the Command Post, KSi950R, or Gravity Dropper in my opinion. Those are the ones i have used and can recommend. I got the i950R cause it had the most travel at the time, 5in. I heard the Gravity Dropper is coming out with a 5in model??

But with all due respect to RASE, the CS was great and they helped me out a ton. But... their post just sucks until they fix that rattle, the crappy lever, and the single bolt seat mount.

mtbr member
    Thanks for the update.

I can't in good conscience buy a Specialized component for a non-specialized bike, nor a seatpost that uses a booty. Its not them its me.

I was really eying up a ksi900 (need the offset) but some reports of some issues, plus RS and Blackx have options too. Don't know if the reverb has an offset offering though.

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    Hello,

People have occasionally commented on the RASE post making sounds when the rider is unseated and the bike is traveling over jarring terrain, to therefore shake the post. It seems that riders who ride down longer downhill sections mainly pick up on these sounds.

I mainly ride trails that have many small hills with with somewhat steep and challenging terrain. While riding down short descents I am usually too busy trying to find the best line and catch a bit of air off small rocks to notice any sounds from the post moving around.
    The rest of the time I'm usually seated, so I have never actually heard this sound myself.

The mini Rapid Index Trigger Shifter though, was the result of a combined design effort from a number of riders from all over the world. The main idea behind the Mini Trigger Shifter, is that gear shifters used to be positioned on the top of the handlebars, yet they quickly were changed to be positioned under the handlebars so that the riders thumb would stay locked under the grip.

These gear shifters now take up this actuating space under the grip. Like the Index trigger of the Rapid Fire shifters, the RASE Mini Trigger Shifter is positioned in front of the handlebars where it is accessed by the riders Index finger.

The RASE Mini Trigger Shifter does work very well, being positioned in the space right next to the grip and reaches out by only a finger width as to not get in the way of any other index shifters. The RASE Shifter is CNC machined, very rugged with great cable routing and extra great looks.

Thanks,

Austin Walsh
    Developer of the RASE Seatpost

mtbr member
    Oct 2005

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    Hey Austin- do you guys offer a "Refurbish" to your posts? I have two that I love and would like to get them sent in to have them gone over. One has had some noticeable wear and tear and would prefer to have you guys put new cables, etc on them.

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    Hello Mbell,

Good to hear that the RASE post is working well for you.

You should be able to get through to the RASE crew at rasebike.com.
    They should be doing refurbishes for the cable housing, as the cable might need to be changed up when the new housing is replaced. New grease should be put in with the locking pin, a new wiper seal should probably be put in also. Any other pieces can also be easily switched out if needed.

Keeping a light coat of oil on the Teflon Hardcoat seatpost will help shed off any dirt and keep the post sliding well.

Cheers,

Austin Walsh

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Hello Austin,

thanks for posting here.

Any news when the inline head will be available?
    There have been pics like this for quite some time now:

Since the head is srewed on with the current (offset) head, will it be possible to change the offset head to the inline one?

While the rattling of the seatpost is noticeable, the only real drawback for me is the offset. The sitting position (on my bike), especially noteceable on uphills, is a pain and makes me think of getting a Gravity Dropper (again).

br,
    Markus

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    Hello Markus,

Great picture from the Outdoor Demo.

An inline seat clamp may be available after the summer. The present RASE seat clamp is only set back by about half an inch, so if you just get a saddle that has its rails back more, this should easily make up for the difference, I would think.

I have also heard people say that putting grease in the main spring, while it is fully expanded, will quiet the main spring.

It looks like I may be working back with RASE soon. I can't say to much more on the zero offset for now.

Cheers,

Austin Walsh

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Thanks Austin,

youīre right the offset isnīt that much but on uphills itīs enough to make it very uncomfortable and exhausting.With a straight seatpost I have absolutely no problems on the same bike. Iīve alredy put the saddle as much forward as possible.

Hopefully Rase will make the straight head.

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    Hello Markus,

It's good to hear about issues that make a real difference. The inline clamp will be a priority.

Thanks,

Austin Walsh

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast