Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: RASE post

mtbr member
    Has anyone using this post had an issue with the seatpost clamp? I prefer not to use a single bolt model as I break them from time to time (has never happened with a dual bolt clamp).

Any comments on the maintenance? - frequency, time required?

Adjustable posts seem to have a lot of issues overall - some people have problems with each model, some don't. Anyone have good or bad warranty experiences to share?

Thanks

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    I went with the Fezzari (same as KS) 3 months ago...

1) The seat clamp is made of butter. Tighten it down and after 1 or 2 rides the material would creep. Tightened it again but eventually the top clamp bottomed on the bottom so no more tightening force could be exerted. I ground the middle of the clamps to provide a bit more clearance but this only delayed the process and the creep/bottoming returned. Like somebody else on these boards, I modified the post with a clamp from another post (Kalloy?) and all was solved.

2) The post worked great for 2 months. Zero slop, nice action. But a few weeks ago it wouldn't stay up or down for me. Others have been using there's for longer so maybe it's just my fat @ss :-)

Returned it to Fezzari under the 2 yr warranty. At first they told me they had no invenotry and would be refunding me the purchase price. I was happy with that as the 5" drop just isn't enough for the steep terrain around here - I need the seat slammed or 8" off the seat tube. Now they tell me they're not going to refund me but rather they'll be getting inventory in a few weeks.

I'm just going to sell the new post they send me. Make me an offer!!!

The Beast Breathes
    [SIZE=5]$400?[/SIZE]
    WTF? I could build one of those for like $25 and have it be more reliable and probably weigh less!

EDIT: Okay maybe $50.
    Good luck with that, mister 300-Mile Turn Radius.

mtbr member
    I have one and it works ok. If you dont keep it lubed it WILL bind on you!! It has more seat play than I would like but its not really noticeable when you are on the bike and climbing. The lever for dropping the seat is terrible, can be hard to reach and the lever action is hard to push. Out of all the things they need to fix fast - I would say this is it. Its to the point where I am considering going back to the Command Post now that they have the new seals etc.
    "Originally Posted by iheartbicycles
    We should all kick each others asses to protect the environment.."

The Beast Breathes
    Quote Originally Posted by MTBShane
    I have one and it works ok. If you dont keep it lubed it WILL bind on you!! It has more seat play than I would like but its not really noticeable when you are on the bike and climbing. The lever for dropping the seat is terrible, can be hard to reach and the lever action is hard to push. Out of all the things they need to fix fast - I would say this is it. Its to the point where I am considering going back to the Command Post now that they have the new seals etc.
    Only Specialized product you should trust
    Good luck with that, mister 300-Mile Turn Radius.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by mountain_bomber156
    Only Specialized product you should trust
    Hey Now!!! My bike is a Specialized too!!!

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by MTBShane
    The lever for dropping the seat is terrible, can be hard to reach and the lever action is hard to push
    I actually think the lever works very well. Did you move your shifter away from your gri and put the lever next to your grip? For me that puts the lever in the perfect position.

mtbr member
    Jul 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by evdog
    Has anyone using this post had an issue with the seatpost clamp? I prefer not to use a single bolt model as I break them from time to time (has never happened with a dual bolt clamp).

Any comments on the maintenance? - frequency, time required?

Adjustable posts seem to have a lot of issues overall - some people have problems with each model, some don't. Anyone have good or bad warranty experiences to share?

Thanks
    I much prefer the single large bolt and the thick pieces of aluminum in for the clamp. I've never had the smaller two bolts break though either. However, the hole in in the tube for the GD post broke on me twice and I just don't trust that set up. The AMP has the same. I'll take some close up pictures of the RASE clamp at some point.
    I haven't had any maintenance issues as yet; I just wipe it quick and hit it with a light coat of spray WD 40 each ride. I will look for something else though that is cheap and doesn't leave a residue.
    I have found a couple more function 'issues' with the RASE after further use. I'll post a more thorough review soon, but just say that all of the issues are livable, and in fact, I'm so much more enjoying riding . I just went to WhiteClay in DE today and every new down or uncertain trailI I dropped the post. I had so much more control and confidence whipping through the roller-coaster sections.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Tim Mailloux
    I actually think the lever works very well. Did you move your shifter away from your gri and put the lever next to your grip? For me that puts the lever in the perfect position.
    The position is fine, its actually using it that I dont like the feel of, its much harder to use than the others I have used. The cable feels like it is hung up but it isnt. It just is nowhere near as smooth as the others I have tried. The Command Post was by fat the best in this area but I had the same problems other people had with loss of pressure in their system, when it worked, it worked better than any of the others though.

Loser

Disagree

Quote Originally Posted by syadasti
    Both me and my friend use to own one. He got a GD first and then I got a AMP. Neither of us own one anymore. They aren't as useful in some regions. Out west or on trails with long sustained climbs sure, but here in the East its cost/benefit isn't good enough.
    I disagree - I think they are BETTER suited for riding out East (at least Northeast). Our hills are relatively short, steep and technical. When I had friends visit from out West, they are constantly asking me if "we are at the top of the hill" so they can lower their seats. Out west its all up, lower the seat, all down, so essentially 1 seat height change. With a Speedball I change the height of my seat maybe 30 times during a ride (sometime I'll have to count to get a real number).

John
    Big Strings, Big Wheels, The Jisch Blog

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    I've waited to post this until I've had some real time on this product. Now I have about 4 months of at least 3x a week riding on it.

I just did the Rubicon 4x4 technical jeep trail in the Sierras last Friday and all I can say is awesome! It made the differece for me between riding most all of it and walking. I had my seat up and down on that ride more than I shifed my gears! The fact that it drops 9" saved my ass many a time on the super steep stuff.

As for the issues posted above:
    I did loan it out to a very heavy friend with a DH bike and apparently a very slack seat tube and he did complain of binding. He is also on one leg (seriously) and has difficulty unweighting the post before lowering it.

I've had no such trouble (Ibis Mojo and SC Blur). I simply take most of my weight off, hit the lever and sit. I find it extremely smooth especially if I sit a little forward of center when I do.

As for the lever, it's my understanding the earlier ones were bigger. Not this one. I think it's the perfect size.

Lube? I suppose I should read as to what the manual says, but I've just used a dry spray lube with teflon with good success. (lubed it about 1x a month) I keep the boot on all the time.

This is a new product and I'm sure most of these bugs will be worked out, but so far, based on my experience I'd recommend it and won't part with mine.
    Best racing series in the West!
    http://www.bicyclingevents.com
    Helmet cam reviews
    http://www.helmetcamreview.com

mtbr member
    May 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by mountain_bomber156
    [SIZE=5]$400?[/SIZE]
    WTF? I could build one of those for like $25 and have it be more reliable and probably weigh less!

EDIT: Okay maybe $50.
    I invite you to come by the shop and have a look at the operation. I think you'll come away with a different point of view.
    You can reach me through the service email on the RASE site.

Actually, I invite anyone with questions or criticism to hit me up. We're small and we're relatively new and can use the feedback. I feel that I miss a lot of good info that flows through this site.

user-created
    Quote Originally Posted by w00dy
    Actually, I invite anyone with questions or criticism to hit me up. We're small and we're relatively new and can use the feedback. I feel that I miss a lot of good info that flows through this site.
    THANK YOU for making a 30.0! But your seatclamp sucks. How's that feedback?

So, if you've no need for a 9" travel can you set the limit and hack off the unused portion of the "I-Beam"? I'm thinking interupted seat tubes...

mtbr member
    May 2007
    Thanks for the kind words, Jack.

I'm especially glad you like the lever. A lot of work goes into that.

Give a shout if you have any issues. The service email on our site goes right to me.

Cheers,
    Dave
    Last edited by w00dy; 11-08-2009 at 10:06 PM.

mtbr member
    May 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by singletrack
    THANK YOU for making a 30.0! But your seatclamp sucks. How's that feedback?

So, if you've no need for a 9" travel can you set the limit and hack off the unused portion of the "I-Beam"? I'm thinking interupted seat tubes...
    Thanks for the honesty. That is a complaint I've heard before. People see the 1 bolt clamp as a big negative just because all the cheap companies use that design. I have no complaints with it. It's simple, and works for my 205lb self.

You can limit the travel, but you aren't able to cut extra length. We will have a 6" travel version in the near future, as well as a thompson style clamp for you 1 bolt whiners.

user-created
    Thanks for the honesty. That is a complaint I've heard before. People see the 1 bolt clamp as a big negative just because all the cheap companies use that design. I have no complaints with it. It's simple, and works for my 205lb self.

You can limit the travel, but you aren't able to cut extra length. We will have a 6" travel version in the near future, as well as a thompson style clamp for you 1 bolt whiners.
    I know you're kidding, but calling your potential customers whiners because they know what they want is pretty lame. I weigh 145 and I've never used a single-bolt clamp that DIDN'T break. So there. Besides, WTF is the point of all that setback.

Is the clamp/post one piece or is the clamp "glued" on? I won't be using a bonded clamp either. They cause my vagina to get all sandy.
    Last edited by singletrack; 10-14-2009 at 03:26 PM.

mtbr member
    May 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by singletrack
    I know you're kidding, but calling your potential customers whiners because they know what they want is pretty lame. I weigh 145 and I've never used a single-bolt clamp that DIDN'T break. So there. Besides, WTF is the point of all that setback.

Is the clamp/post one piece or is the clamp "glued" on? I won't be using a bonded clamp either. They cause my vagina to get all sandy.
    My sincere apologies if I offended anyone. Just a bit of friendly heckling.
    If I may ask, can you name a couple of brands of broken 1 bolt posts you've broken?
    The design is very popular with all the cheapest brands because it has the lowest number of parts. I've broken a couple of those myself, but I tend to blame that on the build quality.

The clamp is not integral, the two parts have an interlocking boss and then are secured with two 5mm bolts. No bonding, it's very secure. The new clamps we're developing will be interchangeable.

user-created
    Not offended. Just particular.

I've got a lot of experience with rental fleets, so you find out what breaks based on a pretty wide sampling. I don't really see how one brand is different than another. It's usually house brand stuff, because who would buy a 1-bolt post aftermarket?

At any rate, what's the point of defending a 1-bolt? They suck. Don't Use them. It's good that you are addressing this, since it'd likely turn-off 3/4 of the people that would consider a $400 post.

A good adjustable seatpost must first be a good seatpost. As has been noted many times before, no one has managed that yet. Good luck!

mtbr member
    Jul 2005
    As I mentioned before, after breaking two GD posts myself I have no faith in the skimpy two bolt system of the GD or AMP clamps. However, I've had no problem with the one-bolt clamp of the RASE. The bolt is twice the size of my Thomson bolts and the pieces seem machined well, with none of the little fiddly nuts. I set it once or twice to find where I wanted it and have ridden it for 500+ hard trail miles with no issues. This system hasn't broken, the while other two bolt systems I've experienced have. Whatever the design implementaion the RASE has it's not the same as the single bolt I've seen on cheaper bikes and probably not the same as what you saw on the rental fleet. The primary reason I went with the RASE is because it's the only 27.2 that had a clamp I hadn't broken yet. I've had other issues to complain about with the RASE as you can see in my previous post, but the clamp isn't one of them. It's also a lot easier to make adjustments.

user-created
    Even if it's not broken there's the issue of the setback....

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    in the near future, as well as a thompson style clamp for you 1 bolt whiners.
    I have your post and love it, but on rare occasion the seat clamp will losen on me and I have to to tighten it on the trail. Will I be abke to purchase one of the new clamps and retro-fit my post?

mtbr member
    FYI. We have two Rase Posts. One is on a demo Ridge and one is on a reps gruitr. The rep weighs 230lbs and is using the 27.2. Not a problem so far. And this dude is a hard freerider. The demo is getting beat by all sorts of peeps. Not a problem there either.
    Oh ya. The post works great!

mtbr member
    Nov 2007
    I'm thinking about buying one of these, but I have some questions:
    1. Can you get them to Belgium?
    2. When does the thomson-style clamp arrive?
    3. How's warranty?
    4. Will there be a version without setback?
    5. How does it perform in Belgian mud winters?

mtbr member
    May 2007
    Tim: The new clamp will be reverse compatible and available for individual purchase.

Hubert: We can ship to Belgium, but it will probably incur import taxes.
    I don't have a date yet for the 2 bolt clamp, but the testing is going favorably. We will likely begin production of that on our next run of posts. This option has no setback.
    The warranty information is spelled out at length on our website www.rasebike.com,
    If you leave the neoprene cover on it should fare well in the mud. Just be sure to clean and re-lube it with oil or light grease once in a while.

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    Don't get rid off the layback clamp . Alot of people need layback on their posts and almost all the adjustable posts are inline.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast