Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
    mtbr member
    Jun 2008

Bling, Bling

Quote Originally Posted by iClique
    I9 said they put together a wheelset with the DT Swiss 330 Carbon rims for interbike. Does anyone have pics of these wheels?
    Sorry about the picture quality.

mtbr member
    THANKS!!!! I've been wanting to see those!!!

Carlos
    iClique.com

It's the axle
    You do realize that by posting pictures of thos I9's with carbon rims, I will now have to kill you!

This is pretty exciting news that I9 may be producing a carbon rim.

Let's get the price down below half a grand, and then I'll start lacing up a set.

mtbr member
    Apr 2005
    Well said. I have had a single speed 29er I9 set and had 1 broken spoke in 3 years. It took less than 5 min to replace. I am a big fan of the engagement and stiffness!. I really think the thicker spokes do the trick. Hey my favorite road wheel set are the mavic ksyriums....another odd ultra stiff spoke. I have put over 15000 miles on ever pair I owned and someone else is riding them now. The only complaint I had was the drag on my geared I9 29er set. I ended up going to a Hope pro II set and then to a C29SSMAX set. I love the feel of the mavics but miss the engagement of the I9s and Hopes.

Quote Originally Posted by Flyer
    Those spoked definitely make for a stiffer wheel and the rotating mass is low as well. Bling is nice, of course. I'd really like a lighter wheelset and am flip-flopping between the I9 wheels and a custom set built with whatever hubs (DT/I9 conventional/CK) and Sapim CX-Ray spokes with Stan's Arch or Flow rims.

I think the resistance to breakage through hard impact is lowered versus CX-Ray spokes but the wheel is much stiffer. Stan's rims build up okay but I wish they could be tensioned a bit higher.

I'd get a few extra spokes and keep them handy if I got the I9s. I can't hate on them because it's impossible to build such a stiff yet light wheel. Stronger- yes but stiffer and lighter- practically impossible, isn't it? For some, the lightness and stiffness are two of the most desirable traits in a wheel. The acceleration is also fantastic with those two features.

Fueled by Tigerblood
    good luck with getting that....

hopefully ill see some of theese in real life tho....

but when do u think ne will get to wisc.?

lol

Vaginatarian
    Oct 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by Jaybo
    Running around looking for a wrench for an I9 spoke. He had broken a spoke and had a replacement. I think proprietary wheelsets are stupid! Just get a good hub and have someone build you a set. No running around looking for a stupid proprietary spoke wrench for a stupid expensive wheelset.

Jaybo
    half the parts on a bike are proprietary , you need a special wrench for the hub, another one for the cassette, some brakes use torx, some use allen and what about bottom brackets,
    if you do your own wrenching then you should have whatever tools your bike requires
    and if not either keep some spokes on hand, or buy your wheels from someone who does

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by his dudeness
    Well it's awesome that I9 ships extra spokes, I didn't know that. However I'm pretty sure that there isn't a spoke cutter in every bike shop out there. As bling as these are, I think thats the only real thing that keeps them attractive to the consumer. 3 degree engagement... who cares? It doesn't make you any faster, and if you're so worried about fast engagement then just go for a King or a Hadley. Now I'll openly admit that I'm an arrogant, stuck up ass but I just don't see it as being logical to throw down so much cash for these hubs when there is no standardized way of replacing the spokes. I can take my Phil Woods to any bike shop and get replacement spokes that day, if you run out of spokes that I9 sends you, you have to call and place an order and wait. And I'm going out on a limb here by saying I9 spokes are probably just a tad more pricey than your standard wheelsmith or DT swiss spoke.

It just doesn't make sense as to why these things are so popular. It's almost like the Milli Vanilli craze back in the day before everyone realized they were just faking it the whole time.
    you sir, are an idiot.

from a pure physics standpoint faster engaugement does INDEED make you faster.

and your milli vanilli analogy is stupid and makes no sense.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by BikeLazer
    and your milli vanilli analogy is stupid and makes no sense.

the Milli Vanilli analogy makes perfect since I9 is TOTALLY faking their wheels, all they are are standard wheels with colored aluminum foil wrapped around the spokes, nobody really owns any wheels it all photo shop!!

as far as spokes you only need to wait "forever" if you got a "custom color" if you bought red/black or silver spokes they most likely will have them in stock, I spoke with Brandi the other day and they now anodize in house so it only takes another day to get spokes in a custom color, they are trying to keep spokes in stock for the popular rims they lace (Stans,DT, Mavic)

I called up and ordered more spokes when I got the wheels, now the only way I am out of spokes is if I break 5 or more which at that point I will probaly need a new rim as well.

Hebrew Hammer

hey

joe bikelers bike shop in shawano, wi can get them. they are a pretty big wors supporter too if you race
    Melancholy is incompatible with bicycling.

mtbr member
    Here's some pics of them on an actual bike.... MINE!
    Attached Images Attached Images

Hebrew Hammer
    whats the weight of this beauty
    Melancholy is incompatible with bicycling.

mtbr member
    Ghetto Fab!

mtbr member

sweet jesus clean up that birds nest you've got hanging off your handlebars!

mtbr member
    That was temporary... here's the final look!
    Attached Images Attached Images
    My Mojo http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.php?t=477532

When only the finest will do... www.iClique.com

Ridin' dirty!
    Quote Originally Posted by D34ThL0rd69

sweet jesus clean up that birds nest you've got hanging off your handlebars!
    Dude that's a kick@$$ bike!
    "Common sense isn't always that common!"
    Custom Prophet and Custom Delta V

mtbr member
    That is one SWEET bike!

I've been an I9 owner since the early days. My son races the set that they took to Interbike some five years ago! No broken spokes, no problems, nothing. I have them on every bike in the family, including the road bikes. Been through plenty of Kings, just got with I9 and stuck with what worked! I'm also a 225lbs racer, never broken a spoke!
    also, you will never really appreciate the 3 degrees of engagement until you single speed!

mtbr member
    May 2008
    glad you cleaned up the nest, i was so looking forward to telling you your bike sucked on account of the crazy looking stem from the same photo...looks like you fixed that too...congrats on a sweet sweet ride. jealous as hell!

Fueled by Tigerblood
    Is there anything NOT carbon on that bike??

Nice!!!

:-D Rock on man!!

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    don't forget the extra's

http://www.carbon-ti.it/

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    I9's definately the best hub/spoke combo I've had in 20+ years. I'm on the same spokes after 3 years of riding 3-4 times a week. I have replaced a rear rim using the same beat up spokes and they still hold true. I've broken 2 spokes in that 3 years, and have not used up the replacements that came with the wheel set. Just replaced all the bearings and pawl springs after many many miles. I broke a rear axle before they changed the design. It was way out of warranty and they replaced it quickly for free with the newer design. Awesome CS. I'm completely sold on the fat aluminum spokes. They just don't stretch and the wheels stay stiff and true after years of pounding.

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by innocuous
    don't forget the extra's

http://www.carbon-ti.it/
    OOOOOOOOO come on now you know it won't be complete with out a set of Carbon Ti brake rotors..............

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by innocuous
    OOOOOOOOO come on now you know it won't be complete with out a set of Carbon Ti brake rotors..............
    And don't forget the Ti rotor bolts too...

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3