Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Oct 2004

on more thing

my free hub is totally jacked up, and I have only used wide based single speed cogs, such as boone, and surly.

I'm not blaming all these things on i9, because I am hard on my wheels. I'm sure all this stuff could have happend to any hub I would have bought.

But I just thought I would share, because like someone said on this thing one time, no one likes to talk about the bad things that happen to there super expensive stuff.

34N 118W

gallery

Quote Originally Posted by 2TurnersNotEnough
    No sign of their road wheels?
    http://gallery.mtbr.com/showphoto.ph...28324/cat/1185

thay have contracted Edge Tech. to brand carbon fiber clincher rims with the I9 name too. Should be a sweet combo.

mtbr member
    Dec 2003
    - Still no pic's of the new QR's? ? ?

mtbr member
    I9 wheels rock, they have the engagement like Kings (actually a tad faster) and less bearing drag, they are also stiffer than a conventional wheel..
    I for one have never liked prebuilt wheels using any kind of proprietary setup but they did their homework and thought through them...
    quite a lot of local riding buds have switched from handbuilt king wheels to I9s and all dig em

I haven't broke a spoke but there have been a few broken in the area, all directly attributable to impact of a stick through the spokes, etc..

They have outstanding customer service

this account retired
    ditto.....

while its true that they have the bling factor, which clearly is what draws the haters out consistently, they have tangible benefits in my book. Especially for 29ers, what I believe to be added stiffness is a HUGE plus. I have broken a spoke, just like i have broken spokes on other wheelsets, and guess what, you replace the spoke just like you would on your other wheelset; no special tools. The ONLY legitimate complaint I have heard is that indeed if you have special colored spokes (ie, not stock) and you run out for some reason, they may not be on hand at I9 right away. Fortunately I have a few in my less common color such that if I ever do get down to only having 2 spares I will call I9 well in advance of ever needing more.

KILLER CUSTOMER SERVICE, great guys all around, great hub engagement, and the cool colors may not be everybody's cup of tea but if biking is your ONLY outlet from reality and you like cool colors, its sorta cool.

mtbr member
    Dec 2003

Gotta agree with.....

Charles & Fo. The fine folks at I9 are putting forth a well thoughtout & executed product backed up by very good customer service.

- Keep in mind peep's : Nothing last's forever & everything breaks/fails at some point. YMMV.

P.S. - My personal set and the few I've sold happen to be problem free so far....

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Those spoked definitely make for a stiffer wheel and the rotating mass is low as well. Bling is nice, of course. I'd really like a lighter wheelset and am flip-flopping between the I9 wheels and a custom set built with whatever hubs (DT/I9 conventional/CK) and Sapim CX-Ray spokes with Stan's Arch or Flow rims.

I think the resistance to breakage through hard impact is lowered versus CX-Ray spokes but the wheel is much stiffer. Stan's rims build up okay but I wish they could be tensioned a bit higher.

I'd get a few extra spokes and keep them handy if I got the I9s. I can't hate on them because it's impossible to build such a stiff yet light wheel. Stronger- yes but stiffer and lighter- practically impossible, isn't it? For some, the lightness and stiffness are two of the most desirable traits in a wheel. The acceleration is also fantastic with those two features.

Daniel the Dog
    Mar 2008

I saw a guy last summer at Mountain Bike Oregon

Quote Originally Posted by stratmosphere
    I guess most current Road and Mavic wheels would fall into this "lbs spoke" theory. Meaning they aren't likely to have all of those parts either. Funny thing is Mavic is probably the leader in wheel sale. Oh...my LBS is an I9 dealer and stocks plenty of spokes. I don't know anyone that owns a set that has broken a spoke.
    Running around looking for a wrench for an I9 spoke. He had broken a spoke and had a replacement. I think proprietary wheelsets are stupid! Just get a good hub and have someone build you a set. No running around looking for a stupid proprietary spoke wrench for a stupid expensive wheelset.

Jaybo

this account retired
    Quote Originally Posted by Jaybo
    Running around looking for a wrench for an I9 spoke. He had broken a spoke and had a replacement. I think proprietary wheelsets are stupid! Just get a good hub and have someone build you a set. No running around looking for a stupid proprietary spoke wrench for a stupid expensive wheelset.

Jaybo
    what in the world are you talking about Jay? There are NO special tools required??? He must have been a mental patient. Trust me, its trivial. If people dont like the bling cuz they are bling haters.....fine, but the wheels are great, period.

Kings are for queens!

Category Winner
    Quote Originally Posted by Jaybo

Jaybo
    I think Park Tool sells the "stupid proprietary spoke wrench". It retails for way less than $100 and is available, like anywhere.
    WWW.TEAMDICKY.COM

I get paid 3 every time I post on MTBR.

this account retired
    Quote Originally Posted by teamdicky
    I think Park Tool sells the "stupid proprietary spoke wrench". It retails for way less than $100 and is available, like anywhere.
    LOL.....I need to get me one of dem. Maybe people think the wrench has to be anodized the same color as the spokes to work on I9s

not so super...
    What I think Jaybo is talking about is this: if the guy that broke the spoke broke it at the hub it leaves the threaded portion stuck in the hub. The bottom of the spoke has a hole for an allen wrench, but you need a very small allen to get it out.

Looking at the big picture - not really a big deal.
    Nothing to see here.

this account retired
    Jaybo lover!

Category Winner
    Quote Originally Posted by SSINGA
    What I think Jaybo is talking about is this: if the guy that broke the spoke broke it at the hub it leaves the threaded portion stuck in the hub. The bottom of the spoke has a hole for an allen wrench, but you need a very small allen to get it out.

Looking at the big picture - not really a big deal.
    Ooooooooooooooooooooooooooh. I had that happen with my one broken spoke.
    WWW.TEAMDICKY.COM

I get paid 3 every time I post on MTBR.

Feeding your addiction
    Quote Originally Posted by Faux Part Deux
    what in the world are you talking about Jay? There are NO special tools required??? He must have been a mental patient. Trust me, its trivial. If people dont like the bling cuz they are bling haters.....fine, but the wheels are great, period.

Kings are for queens!
    They are also easier to replace than a conventional spoke, since they are straight-pull there's no need to remove the rotor or cassette.

Larry
    Mountain High Cyclery
    larry@mtnhighcyclery.com
    "It is inhumane, in my opinion, to force people who have a genuine medical need for coffee to wait in line behind people who apparently view it as some kind of recreational activity". - Dave Barry

Let's ride SuperModerator
    Quote Originally Posted by Loki
    and possibly a hub. Don't know though because they are all at interbike and there is no CS for a week. Yippy.

Oh, maybe you internet guys can help me. Well not really because one way or another I need some new parts.

So I brok a pawl. That I figure can be replaced. But I also bent and cracked this thin peice of aluminum the the bearing on my rear wheel drive side sits against. I can't tell if its a machined part of the hub or something that can be taken out. I would think I could take it out becuase its so darn thin.

Anyone know? I haven't really dicked around with it much, I had the LBS do it.

Nate

Oh, and engagement is cool. I never thought it was a big deal until I had to start using a different rear wheel, wow what a dif.

Post a pic of it. I know my i9 hub innards pretty well.

On the engagement paw, are you running 6 or 3 paws? You can always remove 2 if you were running 6 and broke one.

What happened to the wheel to cause all this damage?

I'm sure the i9 guys will send you a new paw.

not so super...
    Quote Originally Posted by Ventanarama
    They are also easier to replace than a conventional spoke, since they are straight-pull there's no need to remove the rotor or cassette.

Larry
    Mountain High Cyclery
    larry@mtnhighcyclery.com
    True - unless you have to use the allen wrench to get that tiny threaded nub out
    Nothing to see here.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Ventanarama

Larry
    Mountain High Cyclery
    larry@mtnhighcyclery.com

I agree....

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Loki
    and possibly a hub. Don't know though because they are all at interbike and there is no CS for a week. Yippy.

Oh, maybe you internet guys can help me. Well not really because one way or another I need some new parts.

So I brok a pawl. That I figure can be replaced. But I also bent and cracked this thin peice of aluminum the the bearing on my rear wheel drive side sits against. I can't tell if its a machined part of the hub or something that can be taken out. I would think I could take it out becuase its so darn thin.

Anyone know? I haven't really dicked around with it much, I had the LBS do it.

Nate

Oh, and engagement is cool. I never thought it was a big deal until I had to start using a different rear wheel, wow what a dif.
    Sounds like you broke the gutter ring. Easily replaced but you need to remove the drive ring to do it. I don't know if your LBS has an I9 drive ring tool, but I'm sure the I9 guys will be able to get it sorted when they get back from Vegas.

mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by WayDownSouth
    Sounds like you broke the gutter ring. Easily replaced but you need to remove the drive ring to do it. I don't know if your LBS has an I9 drive ring tool, but I'm sure the I9 guys will be able to get it sorted when they get back from Vegas.
    Thats the piece. So it needs a special tool huh. I will call my bike shop and make sure they contact them today.

It is a 6 pawl version. As to what I did to break it, I'm not sure. My rear hub has had bearing play for a long time now. I tried to remedy it by following the direction to adjust the pre-load on the bearings. But it came back very shortly after. So I tried again, and same thing, the play came right back. So I've just been running a sloppy hub for about 4 months now. I don't know if that is what caused the broken gutter ring, or if the broken gutter ring could have been the culprit from the beginning.

Anyhow, I know the i9 guys will help me out as quickly as possible. It just does suck that they were all gone for the full week.

OH, and also, not every spoke tool will work. I have one of those alien tools that has every thing on it. I went to tighten a loose spoke and the openings on the spoke tools wouldn't fit over the actual spoke. Luckily another rider had one that would work.

mtbr member
    Oct 2004

I can't post a picture, its at the shop

Quote Originally Posted by rensho
    Post a pic of it. I know my i9 hub innards pretty well.

On the engagement paw, are you running 6 or 3 paws? You can always remove 2 if you were running 6 and broke one.

What happened to the wheel to cause all this damage?

I'm sure the i9 guys will send you a new paw.
    As to what I did to do all this damage. I don't know. I just ride. I've had the hubs serviced twice since I've had them, and that has been about a year and a half now.

Let's ride SuperModerator
    For the i9 bearing play, from my own experience, if there is even a smidge of tightness, and I mean smidge, the bearing can go bad fairly quick. This means it then becomes loose, and no amount of tightening will resolve it; actually make it worse. I had this on my first set, and learned/assumed from there. YMMV.
    Now I leave mine just a tiny bit loose/play. This seems normal practice, as American Classic wants the same treatment with their hubs.

That ring drive, which is what the paws catch on, certainly requires a special tool to remove.

mtbr member
    Oct 2004

Just got off the phone from the shop

Quote Originally Posted by rensho
    For the i9 bearing play, from my own experience, if there is even a smidge of tightness, and I mean smidge, the bearing can go bad fairly quick. This means it then becomes loose, and no amount of tightening will resolve it; actually make it worse. I had this on my first set, and learned/assumed from there. YMMV.
    Now I leave mine just a tiny bit loose/play. This seems normal practice, as American Classic wants the same treatment with their hubs.

That ring drive, which is what the paws catch on, certainly requires a special tool to remove.
    And industy 9 is sending the parts and the tool to take the ring drive off. I knew they would take care of it. I just hope I'll have it for this weekend.

mtbr member
    I9 said they put together a wheelset with the DT Swiss 330 Carbon rims for interbike. Does anyone have pics of these wheels?

Fueled by Tigerblood
    vannilia ice?

wtf?

on a not totally different part, i too have non standardized wheels.

i have an awsome set of spinergy xyclones that i love dearly. they rock like its going out of style, and hardly cause me any greif. there is only one shop in the area that will service them, but im ok with that. hell, spinergy even sent me 5 spokes for free. not because theyre cheap, but because thats what you get when you buy from a reputable company. and i also love engagement, you acucally do tell the difference when you ride other wheels...

but thats just my $.02

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast