Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast
    just ride

29er funny story

So, a funny story. I wont mention the MFR, because it was just a mistake, but funny.

I went up to a booth, and asked for a new 29er that had just come out. The guy got all my info, etc, and went to set the bike up, and I didnt really pay attention.

This company makes a 26" wheel and 29" wheel bike that are identical in color and spec as well.

The guy gave me the bike, and I started up for my ride. As I was going through the singletrack, I couldn't help but think how much the bike sucked. It was just horrible to ride, was really sketchy, I felt way over the front. I just couldn't figure it out, until I stopped to take a picture, and noticed the fork was a SID and not a REBA. DOH! They gave me the 26" wheel model!

So while the bike was most likely a great bike, it just felt that way because I am used to 29er wheels and they feel so much better.
    MTBR Disclaimer: I work for Salsa Cycles
    Ride: www.chequamegon100.com

mtbr member
    Hah! Mfrs would pay thousands for such an inadvertent double-blind study!
    Professional Amateur. Disagree? Submit your grievances here.

just ride
    Quote Originally Posted by Davidcopperfield
    What about 165mm WFO9? Where is Yeti 575? Ibis Mojo 29er? Pivot 529? Give us something earth shuttering. 29er movements advances at really slow pace I wanna see Totems and Boxxers on FR/DH 29ers as well. More scandium FS for racing. Reveleation 29er from RS.

Edit:
    Next we'll having a gorgeous 29er anniversary a decade has passed since its onset.

Soupboy - SIC EM BOY, GO GET EM!

DC - give it up or diaf

just ride
    Quote Originally Posted by Soupboy
    Tim - aren't you like 6' tall? Fitting on MC's bike must have been odd. Bike looks nice. Too bad I have a POS Behemoth....

It was pretty short, but it was fine. I think MC rides a medium, which he also had one of those. This bike was actually a large, so I was wondering if this one was too big for him.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by chequamagon
    Soupboy - SIC EM BOY, GO GET EM! DC - give it up or diaf
    DC is a bot. Initially I thought it was Curiak, then you, then Fo but he is clearly a bot. An utterly foul, despicable bot written by a pimply teen from the former Eastern Bloc that can't get chicks due to his unparalleled BO and poor oral hygiene.

Picking on DC, to me, has become like kicking a bag of flaming poo on your doorstep. Kick as you will, you still have dookie on your shoe.

mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by chequamagon
    Chris King himself giving Hans Rey himself a check for the Wheels 4 Life charity.
    Why is does Hans have a needle port in place on his right arm?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Crockpot2001
    Why is does Hans have a needle port in place on his right arm?
    Banana bag y0! High temps, biking, beer...hydrate or die!

aka baycat
    Have you gone to Cheetah's yet!

Thanks for the great reports...

mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    Kill me now, please, but i gotta agree with DC that the Mojo and 575 are bikes that would be cool to see in 29er form. Not to mention a Foes.

But we got plenty others to choose from in the meantime!
    The drive towards achievement and success is the motive power of civilization.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Boxer
    WOW! This is just like being there. Well almost.
    Great reports I cant wait to see what is next.

it is a great report. it just makes me more sad as this is my first time in 5 years im missing interbike.

mtbr member
    I'm still waiting for the Canfield FS SS 29er.

Don't mess with a 29er

Now Rocky Mountain joins in...

I find it highly interesting to see the 29er market grow so rapidly. While some (one) of us self-righteously ask for FS models that will not be available soon (and even if they were DC would get all fired up on demanding a FS with even more travel and more rear hub spacing and more spoke count and ...) major companies like Rocky Mountain just release their first 29er Hardtails. I find this remarkable as with more majors joining in 29ers are "officially" no niche anymore.

But then again it is a pity, as I personally enjoy being part of a niche - it is nice to have a limited selection of frames and parts to choose from made by passionate people who are all first movers and believe in what they do has a real benefit. It gives me confidence to be in a good community.

With the 29er market growing there are many free-rider / copycat companies like Moots and, for that matter, Rocky Mountain, that try to catch up and pretend that their very models are a tiny little bit different / better than others (which they really are not). I personally hope that 29er will not be carried away in the marketing frenzy of a mass market.

Fortunately, I (together with my two Niners) live in Germany where 29ers are still as unknow as e.g. root beer (the latter may change with brown seems to become the new black).

Keep the big wheels rolling an ride what you have!

Category Winner

New Niner EBB and fork from Interbike

Saw this over on singletrackworld.com (c'mon MTBR. What are we paying for here?):

http://www.singletrackworld.com/arti...7c9d158123347b

"Niner EBB - rather clever? - Hereís a clever take on the eccentric bottom bracket design. The cups on the new Niner EBB bolt together. Thatís it. One bolt pulls the cups together into the BB shell - and then, in theory, it doesnít move. No grubscrews or wedges. Interesting..."

"No pictures! Ninerís carbon fork - Itís still being tested and there are no official weights yet, but Ninerís new 29er fork is light! With forward sloping dropouts and a full carbon construction (with stainless dropout faces) itís going to be popular with the 29er crowd."

I believe Chris at Niner Bikes was heard saying (re:MTBR members stating the Niner logo was too big on the one we saw the first time from Napa spy shots) "To borrow a phrase from the fixie poser crowd, All you decal haters suck my ballz" *

*That mighta happened in a dream I had.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    WWW.TEAMDICKY.COM

I get paid 3Ę every time I post on MTBR.

The Dog.
    That's how Calfee tandem EBB's work.

Witty McWitterson
    Sorry, but Moots has been 'here' from the very beginning.
    Just a regular guy.

SpoK Werks Handmade Goods

... and if we just ...

Quote Originally Posted by 29ERCAT
    ....remember theres (correct grammer... there are) many teens that view the 29er forum
    Exactly! They have to learn about life somewhere. Why not here? Clean is a state of mind. Back to I-Bike coverage. Oh... don't forget that they need to learn to spell correctly as well.

just ride
    Quote Originally Posted by ~martini~
    Sorry, but Moots has been 'here' from the very beginning.
    huh?

Witty McWitterson
    Doh! was supposed to be replying to megalow maniac above. Claims Moots is a newcomer to 29". I'm just tripping over my big feet is all...
    Just a regular guy.

just ride
    Quote Originally Posted by ~martini~
    Doh! was supposed to be replying to megalow maniac above. Claims Moots is a newcomer to 29". I'm just tripping over my big feet is all...
    Yup. Kinda funny, I just read pastajet's review of the Moots, and he remarks it is his favorite bike again, over many other nice ones. Amazing how opinions go.....

hispanic mechanic

Semi OT (but still 700c)

Did you notice if Spot had their Black CX bike out there? Any chance to eyeball it?

Thanks,
    Los
    "Shut up body and do what I tell you."
    Jens Voight

http://teamjva.com/jens-voigt-soundboard/

Who turned out the lights
    It looks like it allows the fork to rotate forward (counterclockwise if you're looking at the drive side) to keep the trail consistent, which in theory would be a decent idea. I just don't think allowing your long-travel DH fork to pivot on a couple of relatively small connections is a great idea. Hope he has good insurance (medical, dental and liability).

workin' it Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by Francis Buxton
    It looks like it allows the fork to rotate forward (counterclockwise if you're looking at the drive side) to keep the trail consistent, which in theory would be a decent idea. I just don't think allowing your long-travel DH fork to pivot on a couple of relatively small connections is a great idea. Hope he has good insurance (medical, dental and liability).

I think those are spherical bearing rod ends. Check you carts and desert race trucks. They use them, also the 5link rear end on BMW. They should be plenty strong enough for the loads placed on them through that limited range of motion.

They are seriously strong. I would worry more about breaking the attachment to the aluminum a-arm then the bearing themselves.
    Try this: HTFU

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    any news from Vassago?

Category Winner
    I'm not a Turner Homer, but these post mount inserts look like bees knees in sexy thigh high stockings:
    (from cyclingnews.com)
    Attached Images Attached Images
    WWW.TEAMDICKY.COM

I get paid 3Ę every time I post on MTBR.

i don't give a shift
    Quote Originally Posted by teamdicky
    "Niner EBB - rather clever? - Hereís a clever take on the eccentric bottom bracket design. The cups on the new Niner EBB bolt together. Thatís it. One bolt pulls the cups together into the BB shell - and then, in theory, it doesnít move. No grubscrews or wedges. Interesting..."
    Curious if existing Niner frames can be retrofitted with it! Would love to get my hands on one if it is.
    blogging at 29in.ch

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast