Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    MTB B'dos
    hey chequamagon, if you happen to pass by the Rock Shox tent mind trying to get confirmation on if they will or will not be offering a U-Turn REBA?
    One day your life will flash before your eyes, will it be worth watching??
    MTB Barbados
    My Phantom pics

mtbr member
    That looks like what DC's been hankerin' for!

mtbr member
    Feb 2005
    ooh look a ck bb finally

workin' it Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by chequamagon
    Today's suprise:

The Chris King Bottom Bracket.

ETA: Wednesday. Yeah, as in two days from today.

man CK has been holding that card since ISIS first bowed into the ring....'bout time.
    Try this: HTFU

*Hotter than Hell*
    Aug 2005
    is the builder german, or Mert Lawwill?

a lot of motorcycle influence there!
    PROFESSIONAL THREAD KILLER!

Quote Originally Posted by FoShizzle
    Maybe I will just start hanging out in the "Recycle Bin" forum.

*Hotter than Hell*
    Aug 2005
    Today's suprise:

The Chris King Bottom Bracket.

ETA: Wednesday. Yeah, as in two days from today.
    cat's been out of the bag for awhile.

http://www.cyclingnews.com/tech.php?...KingBBDville08

http://www.flickr.com/photos/pereiracycles/2809478306/

JJT
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by ~martini~
    I wish I had a reason to carry Salsa's in the store. They're just fantastic looking, and from the reports, the ride matches the look. Someday.
    Sounds like perfectly good reasons to me

JJ
    Singlespeed Central - European SS and 29" webshop

fc
    mtbr founder Administrator
    Awesome report. I put this up on our daily coverage. http://reviews.mtbr.com/interbike/in...y-chequamagon/

fc

No really, I am that slow
    Can you spell "maintenance nightmare"?

Recovering couch patato
    Great stuff Cheq! And you made it to MTBR's coverage, wow!
    I should have expected that from the Fargo, no-hands stable. You rode the M, right? More fork offset still, slacker HTA. Makes me really consider having a custom fork done for Fargo, something I contempaled before. Longer and more offset, and stick it in an XXL where XL is my normal size, to achieve M geometry, with a taller BB for my longer cranks :-)

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    Any info on the Vassago Fisticuff??

Where's Toto?
    Kinda Looks like the Paralever front end on my BMW mc -- without the structural integrity. Pivot on top and a very frail looking sinlge point of connection on the lower. Seems like that would be awfully loose - sorta float around.

mtbr member
    Mar 2008

Selma and King question

Hello, on the Selma they are running Crossmax wheels. Is the rear a Single Speed or a spaced out 9 speed hub? Hard to tell for sure?

Is the King BB avaiable in Pink? My wife has to have every none pink part on her bike.....

Tx!

*Hotter than Hell*
    Aug 2005
    The BBís will be available in all ten standard King colors, including their new Brown color. MSRP is TBD.

http://www.bikerumor.com/2008/09/23/...ottom-bracket/

just ride
    Quote Originally Posted by Cloxxki
    Great stuff Cheq! And you made it to MTBR's coverage, wow!
    I should have expected that from the Fargo, no-hands stable. You rode the M, right? More fork offset still, slacker HTA. Makes me really consider having a custom fork done for Fargo, something I contempaled before. Longer and more offset, and stick it in an XXL where XL is my normal size, to achieve M geometry, with a taller BB for my longer cranks :-)

I rode a large. Salsa recommends picking the size that you would ride in their other bikes, so since I own a Large El Mariachi, that is what I picked.

just ride
    Quote Originally Posted by mtbboy2000
    Hello, on the Selma they are running Crossmax wheels. Is the rear a Single Speed or a spaced out 9 speed hub? Hard to tell for sure?

Is the King BB avaiable in Pink? My wife has to have every none pink part on her bike.....

Tx!
    As for your first question, all singlespeeds are. 135mm is the standard mountain rear spacing, which the Selma has. So it will fit any MTB 135 cassette hub, as well as any of the single-speed hubs from King, Hope, etc.

They did have the King BB there in pink. All colors are available, including the new color which is sorta a dark brown.

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    Yes, but is the Rear Hub on the crossmax Single Speed Specific or is it just the standard 9speed freehub with a spacer kit on it? Thanks

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    Great report by the way

just ride
    Quote Originally Posted by mtbboy2000
    Yes, but is the Rear Hub on the crossmax Single Speed Specific or is it just the standard 9speed freehub with a spacer kit on it? Thanks
    Oh, gotcha. It was a standard set of crossmax wheels with a spacer kit for the freehub body.

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    Cool thanks, Shucks

mtbr member
    Today's hot new 29er product from Interbike:
    Okay what travel is there and how thick the stanchions are? 50mm? How much does it weight?

just ride
    Quote Originally Posted by BruceBrown
    How are your legs holding up after all that testing?
    I am an animal with 250lbs or RAW CHEESE FUELED POWER. Not only did I ride all those bikes, I rode them straight up the mountains and hucked 80 footers back down.

Actually, I bonked at 3pm and had a brat and some beer. We will see how today goes.

just ride
    Quote Originally Posted by Davidcopperfield
    Okay what travel is there and how thick the stanchions are? 50mm? How much does it weight?
    I think you missed the point (what else is new?)

I took the pictures because it was funny looking. I didnt bother to ask questions because the guy who built it is way smarter than me and I didnt have time to hear about trail figures and actuation angles and that kinda stuff.

I didnt ride it because I like my teeth how they are.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by CRAZY FRED
    Is this a RACE ONLY kind of bike? Or could I set this up to use as a woods bike( New England style)..Man this thing is hot, It's just begging for blue bits..Thanks..CF..
    I'm sure it could be set up as a woods bike, but my 2 concerns would be chainstay length and rear tire clearance. The spec sheet says 17.9in chainstays, which I think is too long for a good nimble east coast bike. It also says 2.3 max rear tire, so not sure if it will fit something like a Schwalbe Racing Ralph 2.4 or a WTB WW. I like to have the biggest rear tire possible!

Mark

mtbr member
    CF - what you seem to be describing is a Sinister Simon Bar set up in single speed moed. That would give you the New England Style Woods bike you speak of.

OR if you prefer something in steel - I'd recommend looking at the TEd Wojcik Monkey Butt 29er, or perhaps contacting Steve Stickel to see what he could produce for you (he's D.F.L. here on the forums btw).

Quote Originally Posted by CRAZY FRED
    Is this a RACE ONLY kind of bike? Or could I set this up to use as a woods bike( New England style)..Man this thing is hot, It's just begging for blue bits..Thanks..CF..

mtbr member

Hey bikeny Thanks for your reply,

Quote Originally Posted by MMcG
    CF - what you seem to be describing is a Sinister Simon Bar set up in single speed moed. That would give you the New England Style Woods bike you speak of.

OR if you prefer something in steel - I'd recommend looking at the TEd Wojcik Monkey Butt 29er, or perhaps contacting Steve Stickel to see what he could produce for you (he's D.F.L. here on the forums btw).
    You also MMcG you make great sence ( this is me CF's opinion so don't go getting to big headed on us) HaHa..Bro we need to hook up and kick some NE riding A$$.. Thanks again..CF..

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    Does it have two Bottom Brackets?

Stayin' Puft
    It needs a few more moving parts I think...not sure, I lost count. :-)

That's it, I getting a welding torch, I can make that out of old bike frames around the house!

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    that bike is weird, gotta find out who made it. It looks like 2 bottom brackets.

This might be one of those what's in vegas stays in vegas bikes.

mtbr member
    So do the upper fork tubes allow for slow bump sensitivity while the lower fork tubes for high speed? I think they might have something there, a fork that compresses from both ends.

mtbr member
    WOW! This is just like being there. Well almost.
    Great reports I cant wait to see what is next.

El Mas Chingon
    Any info on the Vassago Fisticuff
    Moots Cinco
    Vassago Optimus Ti
    Cervelo Prodigy

just ride

Interbike Dirt Demo report Day 2

Today was day 2 of the Interbike Dirt Demo. It was really hot today, and I rode a lot of bikes, so here goes.

just ride

Lenz Lunchbox.

I got to ride the Lunchbox. And wow, is it amazing. It is everything I hoped it could be, and then some. It climbs decent for a bike of this size, it descends better than anything I have ever been on, and feels very balanced.

The rear is VERY smooth, so much so, it almost overpowered the 150mm White Bros fork.

This bike is Mikesee's bike, and he told me not to treat it nicely, but to give it what I could. So with my measly powers of 3-4' drops and taking the rocks as fast as I could, I tried. I came back in and Mike noticed that I have not even used full travel on either shock. Maybe got through 80% of available travel after a 2 hour ride of giving it everything I had the balls for. WOW!

When I got back to give the bike to Guitar Ted, Devon was there and I got to chat with him about it a bit. This bike will see production in a few months after a few more tweaks are made.

The best thing about the bike was the rear RS Maxle. I could stand and give it all my might, and the rear end was VERY tight.

Also on this bike were Surly Mr. Whirly cranks which were really cool, and a set of Mike's built wheels with Salsa Gordo 35mm rims. The front tire was a WTB Stout, and it held traction no matter how hard I pushed, even in the soft Nevada sand.

I really wish I lived somewhere where I could use a bike like this. It was really fun.
    Attached Images Attached Images

just ride

Moots 29er

I rode the Moots 29er, just to see what all the dollars are spent on.

It was a nice high-end bike. But so are many others. It was smooth, did its job well, and didnt complain. But it also didnt stand out. I thought something of this caliber might be a shining star, but it really is just another FS 29er bike. So save your kids college fund, buy an alloy model from many of the other manufacturers out there, and enjoy yourself.

Witty McWitterson
    Guess there's a tire there we're not supposed to see, eh?
    Just a regular guy.

mtbr member
    Wow, the rear tire on that Lenz looks amazing

mtbr member
    The LB looks sick I just got a 5" version

just ride

Salsa Pistola

It has 700c wheels so give me a break. I like it and wanted to ride it and you get the info!

Pistola had me intrigued because it was built on the same geometry as the Primero, a bike I have always lusted for, but it comes in a bit more affordable with the change to True Temper OX-Plat tubing.

Essentially, it is a very fine steel frame, like you can get custom built for you elsewhere, but for less $$. I owned a Gunnar Roadie for a while with a Sram Rival group, and I really liked the bike. I climbed on the Pistola and felt like I was back on my Gunnar. Only thing is that as a complete bike, this will be coming in around $800 less than a similar-spec steel rig that is built from the frame up. Salsa seems to have that niche dialed, as in making a spectacular riding frame and offering it up at a great value. If you are looking to pound a little pavement, this is a great way to get started without spending a lot of $$

just ride
    It is really of no consequence, it is just the new secret RASTA MAMA PRO EDITION tire.

what a joke
    what a classic

What about the new fork thats not a WB?
    blah blah blah

just ride

OS Bikes Blackbuck

OK, funny story. I see this bike with WTB stickers on it, and I thought that they were bringing a new bike to market. So I snap a pic, and talk up the guy, asking if I can ride it. He says yes, and I go for a ride. The whole time I think I am on some new WTB model that Steve Potts has been dreaming up.

I get back, talk up the guy again, he says it retails for less than $500 for the frame. WOW! I ask for some paperwork and he hands me the OS stuff. DOH! I was actually riding a Blackbuck, just didnt know it, and because the guy works for WTB, it has stickers on it. I felt like an idiot.

But, I did get to ride it, and it was pretty cool. It is made in the same factory as Surlys, Vassagos, etc., and it only comes in one size. It as a tight bit small for me, so it is probably a 19" or something l like that.

It rode pretty normal, without any real standouts, pos or neg.

However, it does have a really unique EBB pinch that was creak-free even in the desert dust, and I like the tucked away disc mount. Pretty cool.

mtbr member
    What about 165mm WFO9? Where is Yeti 575? Ibis Mojo 29er? Pivot 529? Give us something earth shuttering. 29er movements advances at really slow pace I wanna see Totems and Boxxers on FR/DH 29ers as well. More scandium FS for racing. Reveleation 29er from RS.

Edit:
    Next we'll having a gorgeous 29er anniversary a decade has passed since its onset.

Witty McWitterson
    Quote Originally Posted by Davidcopperfield
    i can haz, no, wantz evrting?
    fixed it for ya DC.
    Just a regular guy.

just ride

Niner RIP 9

At the Niner tent, I went to grab a new RIP 9. One unique thing I have to mention is that I work for a very small-time dealer of Niner, we only sell 1 or 2 frames a year. However, when I got there, both Brett and Chris took LOTS of time to go through the bike with me, give me all the info, changes and improvements, got me set up on the bike, and on my way. These guys treated everyone as if they were the top dealer in the country, these guys know how to set bikes up very well, and it was amazing to see them at work. Good job guys!

As for the bike, Chris explained to me that it is entirely new except for two small parts. They changed every tube use FEA and all that jazz to make a lighter, stiffer product. Cool.

Last year, I test rode a RIP, and didnt like the way that the fork dove hard under braking. Well, this year that was all gone. Chris told me that they didnt change the pivot placement, so last year was just an issue with poor compression damping on the Manitou fork. This year the bike had a Fox fork.

It was much stiffer in the BB area under hard pedaling. I could stand up and it would not waver side to side. Very nice.

Descending is where it seemed to shine this year. Very smooth, very level, and did the job well. Brett says that while it is a 4.3" bike, it actually rides like a 5" bike, and I agree. I would definitely say that the JET is the XC bike, and this now fits more of the AM segment, being best at descending and ripping hard.

I forgot to take a picture of the Niner. Woops. www.ninerbikes.com

just ride

Random 29er pictures

These are 29er related pictures I took of bikes that I did not ride.

mtbr member
    Tim - aren't you like 6' tall? Fitting on MC's bike must have been odd. Bike looks nice. Too bad I have a POS Behemoth....
    Professional Amateur. Disagree? Submit your grievances here.

just ride

Chris King brown

The new Chris King Brown color.

just ride

Chris King / Hans Rey charity

Chris King himself giving Hans Rey himself a check for the Wheels 4 Life charity.

mtbr member
    Who said rootbeer was done.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast