Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    lookin' for a hill

Interbike 2009, what to do?

So, I will be making the voyage to Vegas for my first taste of all that is Interbike. Besides the actual show and outdoor demo, are there any plans within the MTBR community? Who is going to have the wild party ending like a reprise of "Very Bad Things"? Anyone planning any epic rides at the demo day? This will be my first Interbike experience so I apologize for my naivety, just looking for some ideas as I may want to get away from the co-workers for some, or extended, periods of time.
    Also, I heard there may be a shuttle which goes from Vegas to the outdoor demo in the morning, is there any truth to this? any further info? Yes, I will go to Interbike.com.
    Lets all get a beer one night!
    Cheers.

(Mtbr Site Manager) Administrator
    Heh....Very Bad Things...I love that movie.....Kobe Tai!!

For sure, the most important thing is to be there for both days of Outdoor Demo. Sounds like you've already got that part covered. Being able to actually ride all the new hotness is the most important part.

Shuttles are free and run from the Sand's convention center to Bootleg Canyon and back. On Monday it won't be bad at all, but Tuesday coming back, the line can get long. But if memory serves me correctly, last year they had things pretty much dialed, and the wait wasn't as long as 2 years ago.

There is usually a video release party or two, and those are the big party scenes. I am not sure if IMBA is still doing the bowling fundraiser thing at the Orleans or not. The CrossVegas race is another big draw...was especially big last year since Lance raced it.

But yeah, we should try and organize an Mtbr meet up.

-g
    Like us on Facebook - http://www.facebook.com/Mtbrcom

Follow us on Twitter - twitter.com/Mtbr

Mtbr YouTube Channel

Art is Resistance
    Quote Originally Posted by gregg
    Heh....Very Bad Things...I love that movie.....Kobe Tai!!

For sure, the most important thing is to be there for both days of Outdoor Demo. Sounds like you've already got that part covered. Being able to actually ride all the new hotness is the most important part.

Shuttles are free and run from the Sand's convention center to Bootleg Canyon and back. On Monday it won't be bad at all, but Tuesday coming back, the line can get long. But if memory serves me correctly, last year they had things pretty much dialed, and the wait wasn't as long as 2 years ago.

There is usually a video release party or two, and those are the big party scenes. I am not sure if IMBA is still doing the bowling fundraiser thing at the Orleans or not. The CrossVegas race is another big draw...was especially big last year since Lance raced it.

But yeah, we should try and organize an Mtbr meet up.

-g
    No more IMBA Bowling, that ended two years ago. IMBA and Kona will be raffling off a Cadabra complete bike at Kona's booth, though. Entrance into the raffle is an IMBA membership or renewal.

Cross Vegas was really cool. I wonder if Lance will race it again, since he finished about a minute and a half down from the winner.

mtbr member
    Well you can go and just have fun or you can get really focused and cover as much as possible (which for me is fun).

I like to ride as many different bikes as I can but still get a good 45-60 minute ride on each so it takes some hustle and some planning.

Make a list of the bikes you want to ride.
    Download the site map for the Outdoor Demo and get a feel for where each of the manufacturers booths are.
    Get there early as you can on each morning (Go to the booth of the bikes that will be hardest to get ahold of first).
    Stay 'till 5:00.
    Take a cooler with enough food and water to get you through the day (although you can get lots of free samples of energy/electrolyte drinks, power bars, gels etc from the booths I still like to have some real food).
    Take all the repair stuff and spare tubes/pump that you would for an all-day ride (It stinks to lose half the day walking a flatted or broken bike back down off the trail).
    Team up with someone about the same size and that has the same type of pedals as you and trade off bikes.

I've tried to get folks interested in a mtbr group ride in the evening after the demo or the morning before the floor show without much success in the past. Most people are toast after two full days of dirt demo rides. A mix and mingle type deal one night would be fun too.
    Last edited by KRob; 08-11-2009 at 12:37 PM.

mtbr member
    Apr 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by KRob
    Well you can go and just have fun or you can get really focused and cover as much as possible (which for me is fun).

I like to ride as many different bikes as I can but still get a good 45-60 minute ride on each so it takes some hustle and some planning.

Make a list of the bikes you want to ride.
    Download the site map for the Outdoor Demo and get a feel for where each of the manufacturers booths are.
    Get there early as you can on each morning (Go to the booth of the bikes that will be hardest to get ahold of first).
    Stay 'till 5:00.
    Take enough food and water to get you through the day (although you can get lots of free samples of energy/electrolyte drinks, power bars, gels etc from the booths).
    Take all the repair stuff and spare tubes/pump that you would for an all-day ride (It stinks to lose half the day walking a flatted or broken bike back down off the trail).
    Team up with someone about the same size and that has the same type of pedals as you and trade off bikes.
    k rob has it pegged!

mtbr member
    Jul 2008

more n00b questions

Like nikwashere this is also my first Interbike. I've spent a fair amount of time on the Interbike website, but find it a bit frustrating in terms of finding basic information.

So I have a few questions, mostly regarding the Outdoor Demo, if anyone here would be so kind as to answer/give feedback.

After getting my badge in the mail, is there a check-in process at the actual convention/outdoor demo? I'm scheduled to arrive late-ish on Sunday night, so will I have to register at the Sands on Monday before heading out to Bootleg Canyon?

KRob mentioned bringing a cooler with real food to the Outdoor Demo... Where does one leave their stuff at the Demo? Is there an area provided?

I'm wondering if it's worth renting a car for the two Outdoor Demo days so that I can a) go to a grocery store to get aforementioned real food and b) not be restricted to the shuttle schedule.

In addition to the sample energy bars/jelly beans/gels/etc, is there drinking water readily available at the Outdoor Demo, or is it b.y.o.w?

Thanks!

NMBP
    Quote Originally Posted by formulate
    In addition to the sample energy bars/jelly beans/gels/etc, is there drinking water readily available at the Outdoor Demo, or is it b.y.o.w?

Thanks!
    There will be water available at the CCCC National Mountain Bike Patrol canopies on the main cross country loops. You will be happiest if you bring a hydration pack with you.

As for your other Q's, they are best answered by those that have dealt with such problems.

Don't forget shoes, helmet and pedals.
    Riding Fat and still just as fast as I never was.

If you have your badge already, you could just head out to Bootleg. There is a check in booth there with the pass holder and cards that you'll need to give for bike/gear demos.

If you are taking the shuttle, you could get those things in the Sands check in area, then head to the shuttle.

There is a booth right at the entry of the Outdoor Demo for checking helmets and bags and stuff like that....I don't see why you couldn't check a cooler. The items are kept under the canopy, so your cooler should at least have some shade (but it WILL be plenty hot out there, so pack plenty of ice.)

The rental car is really a personal freedom kinda thing. Depending on where you are staying, you would have to either walk or take a taxi to the grocery store, then lug stuff back to your room and pack it. The shuttles themselves are pretty effecient, and it's actually nice to just sit back and relax during the ride out and especially for the ride back. Chit chat with yer shuttle neighbors or try and take a snooze....

There has been free water provided every year that I've been there. And plenty of Cytomax and other energy drinks. There is also a hot dog/hamburger stand (bring cash) for lunch time too. Some manufacturers provide free grub too, but there's usually a line and quantities are limited.

-g

Mtbr YouTube Channel

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    Thanks for all the info CTD and gregg! I'm leaning towards renting a car for convenience and also to load up on groceries so I'm not stuck eating vegas food for the trade show portion of the week...

Nouveau Retrogrouch SuperModerator
    Thanks for all the info CTD and gregg! I'm leaning towards renting a car for convenience and also to load up on groceries so I'm not stuck eating vegas food for the trade show portion of the week...
    IME a car is more of an inconvenience at IB. Shuttles and taxis are faster and easier. I am driving to LV for the show but mainly for post-show reasons. Doubt it will move once at the hotel.
    mtbtires.com
    The trouble with common sense is it is no longer common

lookin' for a hill
    I noticed that NWD is having a release on wednesday night. From what I gathered on their site, I assume you get tickets from their booth at the show.
    http://www.nwdfilms.com/new/tour

If I can catch standby on my monday flight, I will be able to go to both days off the outdoor. Fingers crossed.

Team Captain
    Jan 2004
    Drove to interbike last year and didnt use the car again until i was driving back home.

Commit or eat sh!t
    Pads and armour, especially if I am going to be riding DH bikes? Leatt brace? In other words, should I bring my DH stuff? Thanks.

Nouveau Retrogrouch SuperModerator
    Quote Originally Posted by Cable0guy
    Pads and armour, especially if I am going to be riding DH bikes? Leatt brace? In other words, should I bring my DH stuff? Thanks.
    It is Bootleg Canyon. Steep, loose and rocky.
    mtbtires.com
    The trouble with common sense is it is no longer common

Team Fearless Descender

NWD 10 @ the Palms - Wed Night?

Planning on checking this out right after the MTB Hall of Fame inductees ceremony on Wed night. Just trying to figure out how many others are hitting this.

NWD 10 at the Plams "Rain"
    "...when your ride is nearly over, it seems to have lasted but an instant..."

Stuff

lookin' for a hill
    Quote Originally Posted by El Salt
    Planning on checking this out right after the MTB Hall of Fame inductees ceremony on Wed night. Just trying to figure out how many others are hitting this.

NWD 10 at the Plams "Rain"

i'm plannning to go.
    the pre-order tickets are only available in canadian dollars. I have a feeling after the bank exchange fees, It will be the same as 20 cash in vegas.

lookin' for a hill
    anyone know anything about the use of cameras on the show floor? I noticed on the back of the badge sheet it states something about cameras and video only allowed by pre approved journalists. I assume cameras are fine at the demo.

Team Fearless Descender
    Quote Originally Posted by nikwashere
    anyone know anything about the use of cameras on the show floor? I noticed on the back of the badge sheet it states something about cameras and video only allowed by pre approved journalists. I assume cameras are fine at the demo.
    Huh? I did not know about that! My friend / shop has my ticket. I was planning on bringing a DSLR camera, but.... maybe not? Can anyone confirm Nikwashere's coment on the camera thing?

(good point on the NWD tickets too!)

Stuff

Huh? I did not know about that! My friend / shop has my ticket. I was planning on bringing a DSLR camera, but.... maybe not? Can anyone confirm Nikwashere's coment on the camera thing?

(good point on the NWD tickets too!)
    If you have a big, serious looking camera, they will stop you at the door and ask to see your "photo" sticker on your badge.

If you just have a crummy point and shoot, you could just stick it in your pocket and walk in.

-g

Mtbr YouTube Channel

Team Fearless Descender
    If you have a big, serious looking...

I'm alway's big and serious!

Awe rats. Yes, I was planning on bringing my Canon 40D (SLR style - big?) camera. It allows me to shoot with available light much better than my smaller G10.

I guess that's what I get for not being (able) in attendance in 10 years, things change.

Stuff

Team Fearless Descender
    ...ask to see your "photo" sticker on your badge.
    Anyone know what the photo sticker looks like!

Stuff

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    Anyone know what the photo sticker looks like!
    This.

Bummer -- I might have to retract my offer of photos, gregg.

This.

Bummer -- I might have to retract my offer of photos, gregg.
    No worries, I totally understand. I wish there was a way for us to help you guys out.

-g

Mtbr YouTube Channel

Team Fearless Descender
    Gregg,

I'll still manage to get some shots. I'll get my G10 and external flash in! I doubt they'll toss you out once you're in. Heck, its "Sin City" after all.

Stuff

lookin' for a hill
    are we allowed to take back packs in with us? is there a full search? If I get my dslr in will they take my badge if they see me using it? ... looking for a P&S, I wanted one for in my saddle bag on rides anyway.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast