Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member

Impressions of the I-Beam seatpost systems?

What were your impressions of this system, think it'll stick around/catch on? Who else besides SDG is using this platform? I really like their saddles.
    People don't think it be like it is, but it do - Oscar Gamble

mtbr member
    not from I-bike, but I only have had one second hand experience with them when a 24-hour teamate had it set up on his bike.

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    I bought a new Iron Horse that had an I-Beam saddle. Tried it once, pulled it off and sold it. It wasn't very comfortable, but mostly -
    I hate hate hate proprietary components. why limit yourself to one brand?

I don't think it will be around long. I-beam fixes a problem that nobody actually has, at least I sure never lay awake at night wishing that seats/seatpost weren't so gosh-darn complicated.

M070R-M0U7H FR3NCHI3
    I'm an SDG and I-Beam fan. Kore also uses this system (they make a post and saddles) and I’ve heard rumors that other manufacturers will start making posts/saddles.

Gone riding
    Jan 2004
    Yeah there were a few problems with saddle breakages initially, but for the last couple of years or so it seems they have things sorted. SDG have a huge range of saddles, so chances are there will be one in the range that feels right. More manufacturers are getting behind the standard, so I’d say it’s here to stay.

Dave.

mtbr member
    revolutionary as far as im concerned of course there is going to be a few broken ones about but if you buy the right saddle for the job i cant see any difference to a normal seat i would rather trust my nads on i beam as apposed to the tioga spider

M070R-M0U7H FR3NCHI3
    Quote Originally Posted by konut
    i would rather trust my nads on i beam as apposed to the tioga spider
    yeah, bottoming your cojones on the head of a seatpost doesn't feel so good!!!

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    I use something similar on my jump bikes. No forward/aft adjustment, but for jumping I really don't need it.

MacNeil Pivotal

HB - The God Damn Flying Dutchman
    Chicago Freeride
    Elgin, IL

mtbr member
    I just got a new bike and got the I-Beam thrown in for free. It's not really comfortable, but it's not uncomfortable either. I'm pretty neutral on the comfort level. The adjustability and weight are phenominal though, so I'll probably keep it until I find a saddle that fits my ass perfectly.

mtbr member
    My thoughts, though I've never really ridden an I beam saddle (not for any length of time or on a trail), but as far as the design of a traditional seat goes the saddle shell is supported at the nose and the rear by the rails, and the rails are supporeted in the middle by the post. In theory, this setup allows the seat shell to flex, and the rails to flex, to better conform to your rear and take up some shocks from the ground. The I-Beam setup does away with all that, puts a stiff I beam down the middle of the shell, and sets the post right in the middle, seamingly sending the shock directly to your tailbone.

Just my opinion, and why I won't buy an I beam seat...

BM
    "I've come to believe that common sense is not that common" - Matt Timmerman

mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    I typically use a seat bag. The I-beam saddles do not have rails to attach a bag to. Though some have tabs built in but not all of them.

I also prefer my saddle to flex in the middle.

CAN YOU DIG IT??!!??!!!??
    Junk.
    "Why are you willing to take so much & leave others in need...just because you can?"

mtbr member
    I have been using the system all season an dI like it. Works just as good if not better than rail systems

Brackish
    I got two I-beam post and saddle combos on Iron Horse bikes I bought last year. On the DH-oriented Yakuza Kumicho it was uncomfortable but not a problem, how much do you sit down on a DH bike anyway? On the more multi-use oriented Waka-gashira hardtail it was an ass-pounding, gooch crushing torture rig that I replaced with a proper post and a decent WTB Speed V at my earliest opportunity. On extended rides I found the rail's constant presence and lack of compliance to be a major comfort issue, and as the saddle got broken in it became extremely laterally flexy. I recently sold the Waka, before I did I replaced the post and saddle with the I-beam from the Kumicho and put the IRD post and WTB saddle on that and experienced a big jump in comfort and control. Just not a fan, after a year of riding with the system. And to be fair I had a completely open mind about it going in, and have always been a big fan of the SDG Bel-Air saddles.
    Last edited by carbuncle; 10-28-2006 at 02:32 PM.

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    I greatly dislike it.

I hate how the saddle flexes from side to side

Goin' Down ain't bad!!!
    I've been riding it for a year. I have a couple Bel-Air SL's and an ST. I use to ride a rail Bel-Air and I love the fit of the Bel-Air's for my butt. I'm real comfortable on them. The I-Beam system is really light weight. I haven't tried Kore's Carbon post, but am looking for one.

As to the bag issues. You have to use the Topeak system with the Plastic "Tab" mount. I have no issues with Topeak and the system is easy to mount and unmount the bag.

As to quality, I had the Topeak mount break on one of my SL's, but I think it may have been because I replaced the mounting screw with too long a screw. As to seat breakage, I've never had one come apart. I have blown up a couple rail seats, so I'd say be carefull about saying rails are "reliable"...

I think the industry may move toward this as a standard but it's hard to tell. The advantages I see are a wider range of adjustment and lighter weight. Plus I do believe it's more robust than a rail system.
    Dug-da-Goat

"Oh momma, could this really be the end? To be stuck outside of Mojo with the High Side Blues again!!!"

mtbr member

Ass Hatchet

I tried and SDG set up since the set up is a lot lighter. I tried it on a hardtail singlespeed and it was VERY uncomfortable. I think it's mainly since there are no rails to provide some flex. I'm interested to try the KORE seat since it looks like it could have some cush.

mtbr member
    I've gone on some long rides since I posted earlier in this thread, and the i-beam became VERY uncomfortable for me. I think I can spend about 3 hours on the thing, then the pain starts.

dreaming of bottlerockets
    One of these I-Beam systems came on the '05 Haro Escape 8.3 hardtail that I started out on.

The thing was a rock in the middle - no cush whatsoever - right where the most sensitive part of my taint sits. I've improved as a rider now (standing up in the rough sections, supporting myself with my legs more), but the experience was bad enough that I won't ride one again. The pain started after about 2-3 hours.

I went to a WTB Power DH and haven't looked back. It's just comfy enough for 4-5 hour long rides in the mountains.

I sold the I-Beam stuff in a package deal with my old Haro frame.
    if it ain't broke you ain't ridin' hard enough
    http://www.outdoorsclub.ca - I'm the webmaster and I help run trips!

nerfherder
    I had four rides on an Ibeam saddle/post combo. Obviously not enough time to really pass judgment but I should mention that I never noticed the saddle which is another way to say it didn't bother me.

Takw/agranofsalt
    Jan 2005
    I've spent some time on one on my XC bike. I feel that the post is well designed and the whole system saves weight. I like the range of adjustment and the easy one-bolt adjustment however I don't think that the SDG seats are all that comfortable. I'm a WTB fan for sure. Plus, my I-Fly saddle cracked from corner to corner at the rear after about 6 rides. I don't think I'd buy another until they sort out some of the problems.

SamIAm
    Quote Originally Posted by Excel
    One of these I-Beam systems came on the '05 Haro Escape 8.3 hardtail that I started out on.

The thing was a rock in the middle - no cush whatsoever - right where the most sensitive part of my taint sits. I've improved as a rider now (standing up in the rough sections, supporting myself with my legs more), but the experience was bad enough that I won't ride one again. The pain started after about 2-3 hours.

I went to a WTB Power DH and haven't looked back. It's just comfy enough for 4-5 hour long rides in the mountains.

I sold the I-Beam stuff in a package deal with my old Haro frame.
    omfg, i hated the seat on my 05 8.3 too. and i got a power V dh. its such a better seat.
    <(*-*<) Go Ride (>*-*)>

05 SxT: totemcoil, dhxair, juicycarbons, LXcranks, X9kit, halo freedomdisc, deity compound pedals

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    Tried old models and buttom needed time to set to them.

New Bel Air versions are coolio, a light version of the already good railed saddle

Love just needing 5 secs to move my saddle

Giant Robot

I'll stick with rails for now...

The SDG Bel-Air is by far my favorite seat, at least in railed form. I tried the I-beam set-up for three weeks, and while the shape was good, the lack of flex definitely bothered me (more specifically my ass, that is). Thus the railed Bel Air is back on the bike. SDG makes an i-beam seat that is supposed to flex (the Bel Air FX), and allegedly they're working on a new version of this seat that will have more flex. As far as the system is concerned, I think it has potential if seats can be made that are more comfortable for longer rides that involve actually sitting down. The new stuff that Kore is making for i-beam is definitely light, but from my pushing on it at Interbike it also didn't seem particularly comfortable.
    "Dada, you have an Owwie"

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    I'll add a positive vote for the i-beam setup:

If you choose the right saddle I'm sure it's at least as comfortable as a railed saddle and significantly lighter. As mentioned above, the FX has a space between the rail and sheel to allow flex just like a normal saddle.

I have a Reign which came with a WTB saddle and easton post. I hated the saddle (kicked up too much at the back, big seam across seat, sharp rear corners) so I replaced it with an I-beam Bel Air SL. Much more comfy and approx 1/2 the weight...

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast