MattSavage

Hayes Group not at Interbike...

Anybody have the lowdown on the Hayes group? That's a huge gap in the industry being opened by not showing... That's not a good sign.

Anyone know what's going on? I really wanted to see some new products!
    "I wrote a hit play! What have you ever done?!"

Have Ashtray, Will Travel....

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    Were they not there? When someone tweeted that we should visit Hayes at Interbike they retweeted it ..?! I didnt see them but I also missed a couple other large companies due to the sheer size and being a first timer.
    Soil Taste Tester

MattSavage
    I searched for them and all the companies that make them up, Manitou, Sun, etc... But nothing came up on the vendor list. I can't find anything on the internets either.
    "I wrote a hit play! What have you ever done?!"

Have Ashtray, Will Travel....

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by mattsavage View Post
    I searched for them and all the companies that make them up, Manitou, Sun, etc... But nothing came up on the vendor list. I can't find anything on the internets either.
    I worry about Hayes/Manitou. Nobody seems to have anything good to say about Hayes brakes and Manitou is slow to market with new products.

Love my Manitou forks but I wonder if they will survive...

Grams Light Bikes
    Quite a few companies are skipping doing a direct display at Interbike due to the costs involved (Cane Creek, Ibis, Hayes, etc), and in addition some just go to DealerCamp, PressCamp or OuterBike. The Hayes group was there doing behind the scene meetings with people.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by pastajet View Post
    Quite a few companies are skipping doing a direct display at Interbike due to the costs involved (Cane Creek, Ibis, Hayes, etc), and in addition some just go to DealerCamp, PressCamp or OuterBike. The Hayes group was there doing behind the scene meetings with people.

That is good to hear. I love my Manitou Nixon and wan't that company to survive.

mtbr member
    Yes we need them to survive! Competition is what makes things better and keeps prices in check. Competition in brakes, forks, and shocks is too slim already.

mtbr member
    Mar 2009

Just an FYI

I live here in Vegas and met a couple guys from Hayes at last years(2010) Interbike. Over this past summer, I did a custom build with a new Tower fork, which I had gotten a ProDeal on from one of the guys I had met. It's a great fork.

Anyway, I had originally wanted the 15QR version of the Tower which was not avaiable at the time I grabbed mine....so, about 2 weeks ago, I emailed the guy who hooked me up asking for any timeline and pricing info for the 15QR version and voicing my concern that they were not at Interbike last month. The next day he replied that everything is "cool" at Manitou and that they are concentrating on ride demos and other stuff like that.

I have a feeling more companies will be going this direction.

Hope this helps.

mtbr member
    It doesn't matter whether they focus on Ride Demo's or Interbike, if they want to survive they need to get their products in the public eye and spec'd on OE builds. The Prime Brakes, or Tower fork, for example, might be great, but if no big companies are spec'ing them, they aren't going to make much money. To compound the problem, if they aren't spec'd OE, then after market customers lose interest. If all you see are Avid brakes on all the shiny new bikes, then that's what people will buy after market as well.

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    Just trying to answer OP's question on the lowdown at Hayes.

Personally, I like the sound of a ride demo for products. I would prefer to ride a fork or brakeset to see how it performs, rather than buy it because some of the Brands spec'ed it on their bikes. But, to each his own.

Maybe you should email Hayes and tell them how they are screwing up.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by HalFliP View Post
    Just trying to answer OP's question on the lowdown at Hayes.

Personally, I like the sound of a ride demo for products. I would prefer to ride a fork or brakeset to see how it performs, rather than buy it because some of the Brands spec'ed it on their bikes. But, to each his own.

Maybe you should email Hayes and tell them how they are screwing up.
    I like the idea of ride demo's too, but as a business plan it is insufficient, IMO.
    I don't think they need my input, and I'm sure they wish, even more than I do, that they had more OE spec.

The problem is, after you've been out of the spotlight for a while, you look less attractive to the bike companies, even if you have great brakes and a great fork.
    Suppose you approach Trek and ask them to spec Prime brakes and a Manitou fork. Trek has to compete against Specialized who is spec'ing Avid brakes and Fox Float forks.
    Even if your stuff is good, they have to wonder if customers will lean toward the parts spec of Specialized, which they are more familiar with. I'm sure that's part of the problem they are facing already.