Attached Images Attached Images

parts leftover
    SRAM XX, Campagnolo Super Record 11, Dedacciai, Orbea Oiz

parts leftover
    Orbea Oiz linkage and new Alma

parts leftover
    Fabian Cancellara's bike, Alberto Contador's bike, Andy Scheck's bike, Lance Armstrong's bike

parts leftover
    Quote Originally Posted by tscheezy
    Without a doubt the most wide-ranging, well-written, in-depth, interesting, insightful, and comprehensive collection of reviews from this year's Interbike I have seen so far. I liked your personal take on all the bikes (including pointing out your positive and negative experiences and how that influenced how you judged the bikes) and I could imagine the behaviors of all the models from your detailed descriptions. Outstanding work all around, and a hearty thanks for your effort. This is what Dirt Demo coverage is supposed to be like!
    Thank you! That's certainly high praise coming from you. I'm happy you enjoyed the write-ups. I just tried to share my experiences on so many great bikes as best I could for all of the folks that couldn't make it out this year. I've enjoyed reading your reviews in previous years and they certainly motivated me to experience Interbike myself. I hope everything is going well in Alaska!

Guesswho117
    Jan 2008
    Schlim. Thanks for the awesome reviews and pics

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Excellent writeups, schlim! I was looking forward to some solid and detailed reviews so thanks!

Too bad you had that experience with the Intense guys I have heard a couple of stories like that as well fro others. Hopefully their customer service and other company employees are not as cocky. With so much competition, they cannot afford to be.

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    Outstanding report!

Paper or plastic?
    Awesome work. This is what a demo coverage is supposed to be like. Pics of pretty bikes don't tell you how it rides. Having ridden two of the bikes (my regular ride is an 08 EG, and I test rode a Mojo before) you rode, I can relate to your impressions. Thanks again.
    Faster is not always better, but it's always more fun

So is your face
    Awesome! Definitely the best interbike coverage this year anywhere on the internet. Thanks Schlim!
    IT'S NOT THE FALL THAT HURTS. IT'S WHEN YOU HIT THE GROUND.

GMM
    mtbr member
    Great ride detail Schlim!

I had similar impressions riding the Ibis Mojo and SC BLT (not carbon) so I'm paying particular attention to your review of the other models.

Only wish you would have demo'd a Ventana Terramoto, but I guess there are only so many hours in a day.

mtbr member
    The British mountain bike magazine, What Mountain Bike (WMB) just did a review of high end carbon bike (Trek, IBIS, Scott and Mojo) and had very similar impressions as you. It is kinda surprising that in this new world with all these new suspension designs, a bike like the TREK with be so good..

mtbr member
    Hand down the best IB write up and reviews I've seen this year.
    Thank you for taking the time and doing it so well

Singletrack Addict!!!
    Way to go Schlim!!! Thanks for sharing.

Which were your 3 preferred bikes? and why?
    I'm in the market for a new frame, leaning more towards the Mojo SL, but which you liked the most between the Mojo, 5-spot and Remedy and why?

Again thanks for the great coverage.

mtbr member
    good reviews. too bad the pivot didnt fit, its what i ride and its pretty clear it didnt fit you. i have supreme confidence going downhill.

mtbr member
    Great reviews schlim. On the bikes we rode in common (except the UZZI) we had very similar impressions. I'm still working on my reviews. Trying to get Day One out tonight at least.

parts leftover
    Quote Originally Posted by Relayden
    Way to go Schlim!!! Thanks for sharing.

Which were your 3 preferred bikes? and why?
    I'm in the market for a new frame, leaning more towards the Mojo SL, but which you liked the most between the Mojo, 5-spot and Remedy and why?

Again thanks for the great coverage.
    Glad you liked my thoughts on the bikes! I hope they are helpful in your decision making process. The fact of the matter is that at this level, there are very few bad bikes. Most of the differences really come down to preference, intangible impressions from the overall ride, and intended purpose. I found I had to pay close attention to what each bike was doing and try to find ways of describing how they reacted to my input and the environment.

The Mojo SL is, in my opinion, an exceptional ride. While my top three bikes were the Remedy, the Spot, and the El Guapo; I was looking at what bikes on the "all mountain" 5.5-6" travel spectrum would made me feel like a better rider and enhance my abilities.

The Mojo had an incredibly responsive and almost surging feeling to it that I appreciated immediately. Think of a Mitsubishi Evo off-road and you'll get the idea. If I was looking for one bike for fast and flowing terrain that I could race as well, it would be the Mojo. For me, though, the ride fell more in the cross country spectrum than all mountain. That being said, in the right hands, I have no doubt the frame is capable of all sorts of trail abuse.

As for my favorite bikes, the Remedy felt like a Ferrari with six inches of absorption through the trails. I could fly on that thing and let it find it's line through all sorts of junk while I kept the accelerator wide open. It was a huge surprise to find out what the Trek was capable of. I just didn't expect it, and it played to my abilities well.

The El Guapo felt like a scaled-back downhill rig with the 1.5 head tube and Fox 36 fork and communicated confidence and sure-footedness through the pedals. The suspension and geometry were exceptionally well-balanced the frame more than solid. It made me believe I could do nearly anything.

If the Trek was race car and the El Guapo a Hummer, the Spot was right in between. The personality of the Spot was a little harder to read. What came out was the solid, comfortable nature of the machine made me just want to go and go more. Nothing knocked it off it's line, the traction when you had to put the power down was always there, it ate trail chatter, and felt I was put in a very commanding position by the geometry that I liked quite a bit.

Those three bikes were the ones I didn't want to give back.
    Last edited by schlim; 09-27-2009 at 11:02 PM.

Neg reppers r my biatches
    Quote Originally Posted by celluloid hero
    Awesome! Definitely the best interbike coverage this year anywhere on the internet. Thanks Schlim!
    meh...he is definitely no tscheezy but then again, who is?

parts leftover
    Quote Originally Posted by scoutcat
    good reviews. too bad the pivot didnt fit, its what i ride and its pretty clear it didnt fit you. i have supreme confidence going downhill.
    Something was clearly off, but with so little time, I didn't want to burn any troubleshooting. I tend to prefer more active travel bikes as well, so some preference may be clashing with expectation. I'm glad you enjoy yours!

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    Great job! I'm very impressed . Eleven bikes in two days. I'm wondering how many KRob did. On day two of the dirt demo it was hard to get any bikes and I think one of the shuttles broke down.

I'm glad you were able to demo the carbon Remedy. They wouldn't let me take the carbon one out because I wasn't a Trek dealer.

Your Best Friend
    That was good reading! I actually feel like I didn't waste my life while reading that thread. Good subjective comments. Thanks.

mtbr member
    Thanks for posting. These back to back reviews are really informative. They are my favorite part of the IB coverage by far.
    Only two infinite things exist: the universe and stupidity. And, I am unsure of the universe
    - Albert Einstein

May contain nuts
    Ditto to all the previous comments, thanks for the write-up.

www.derbyrims.com
    Great write ups and photos! Very comprehensive.

It's unfortunate you had poor set up from Intense. I've always had great painstaking attention to set up and adjustments when demoing their bikes. But Interbike was much busier and hotter than places I have demoed Intense bikes, although that shouldn't be an excuse for poor service, the tech you had may have been over fried by then.

mtbr member
    Schlim - THANK YOU for the great write ups ! :-)

OMG !!! It's the GT LTS reincarnated !!! :-o I used to ride around with a guy that owned one of these bikes and I used to marvel at how that back linkage could move around from side to side out-of-sync with the front triangle on the bike and not cause him to wreck ! :-))

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast