Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by MMcG
    Ummmm........a Moots on the speedgoat.com site is almost $2,575!!! So you are off by a grand and change tozovr.

However it would be interesting to see the Niner pricepoint compared to that of a custom built Quiring Ti frame. Scott had some crazy great Ti prices going (maybe he's adjusted them a bit, maybe not).
    Unless Quiring has changed suppliers he previously built with straight gauge Ti tubes (not the lightest). Ti is very hard on tooling (ie mandrels to butt the tubes) so you are paying partially for that on the higher end (Moots, IF, etc) bikes that cost in excess of $2000 for the frame.

SBK
    HMFIC
    Quote Originally Posted by MessagefromTate
    Unless Quiring has changed suppliers he previously built with straight gauge Ti tubes (not the lightest).
    I believe you're correct in stating that Scott builds straight-gauge Ti. Although straight-gauge may not be the lightest option, Scotty Q's work is a down-right bargain. My custom Quiring Ti with sliders weighs 1580g (3.48lb), so it's no boat-anchor regardless of the type of tubes employed.
    Mark
    "Anger is a gift..."

Front Range Cyclist
    Well I think I know what frame I'm getting after my collarbone gets fixed (surgery friday then 6-8 weeks! ugh!)! I hope they keep the panels. I'll take one just like that. Think i just found my new bike. :-) Maybe have someone weld in some S&S Couplers....
    In the immortal words of Socrates..."I drank what?"

Facebook.com/monstercrosser
    Twitter: @monstercrosser

mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    I've been waiting for a Ti Niner If it happens, top tube cable routing like the MCR please.

One by Nine is Fine
    ... and for a name, how about E.M.W. 9? [SIZE="1"](empty my wallet)[/SIZE]

But seriously... I love Ti, god's gift to bike frames (and to ocean engineers like me). My skilz and commitment aren't worthy of a Ti frame, but I have no problem with those whose are.

And in the case of Niner, I love it double right now, 'cause it might shake loose a few MCR frames (size XL) into the used market, for the punters like me...

Eddy

just ride

Today's confirmation from Niner.....

I will post pics late tonight, but there was some confirmation of the thing today.

I have good pics, of it built single and geared. It is Ti, welds look good, not Moots, but better than chinese (i.e. Sibex).

It will have an eccentric BB, so it can be geared or single.

Here is the kicker: It is NOT suspension corrected. Thats right, its for rigid forks only.
    MTBR Disclaimer: I work for Salsa Cycles
    Ride: www.chequamegon100.com

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by chequamagon
    Here is the kicker: It is NOT suspension corrected. Thats right, its for rigid forks only.
    Now I am interested.

29er Geek
    Quote Originally Posted by MMcG
    Ummmm........a Moots on the speedgoat.com site is almost $2,575!!! So you are off by a grand and change tozovr.

However it would be interesting to see the Niner pricepoint compared to that of a custom built Quiring Ti frame. Scott had some crazy great Ti prices going (maybe he's adjusted them a bit, maybe not).

How about this...A Dean Colonel, built here in the US is $1550...If Niner can beat that by a few hundo they'll be coming in at a great pricepoint.

Again, nothing against Niner. I think they have a beautiful frames, and frankly I'm not one to not ride something because it wasn't made in the US....I was just surprised to learn the one9 is an $800.00 frame.
    unityhandbuilt

bmw
    mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    Thank god! Now I don't want one.

Bike Nutt
    OK, now I am on the fence....

I can justify a new frame and selling my Air-9 frame, but if I buy a new frame and rigid fork, I might as well just build up the whole bike...mmmm rigid, single-speed Ti Niner or geared Air-9 with a Reba to chose from....hey, I can fit two bikes on my rack, sounds reasonable to me.

just ride

Ti Niner Pics

here she is
    Attached Images Attached Images
    MTBR Disclaimer: I work for Salsa Cycles
    Ride: www.chequamegon100.com

MTB B'dos
    As the discussion has gone on, it'll be interesting to see what price they put on this. At some point in the future I'd love a Ti HT, but as of right now they're out of my price range.

Maybe Brett will chime in with some info since he's quietly watching this thread, but strangely isn't browsing the Niner forum
    One day your life will flash before your eyes, will it be worth watching??
    MTB Barbados
    My Phantom pics

Down South Yooper

I like it more now. My SIR felt really, really tall in the front end. Asthetically better looking, IMO too.

Plum
    This post is in 3B, three beers and it looks good eh!

mcd
    uh, uh...oh, i forget
    Jan 2004
    I will post pics late tonight, but there was some confirmation of the thing today.

I have good pics, of it built single and geared. It is Ti, welds look good, not Moots, but better than chinese (i.e. Sibex).

It will have an eccentric BB, so it can be geared or single.

looks like i'm gonna be on a waiting list very soon!
    disclaimer: i (NO LONGER) live with my mom...

29er Geek
    Wow, that really is a pretty bike!
    unityhandbuilt

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

Thanks for posting picts!

So does that mean it will be like other bikes with A-to-C of about 470mm, or will it be using 26" rigid fork at about 440mm?

Any other changes in geo from their other HT's?

mtbr member
    What carbon fork is on there?

EDIT: has similar decals to the DT Swiss suspension forks.

In FTF We Trust
    ...but better than chinese (i.e. Sibex).

Two things - have you seen a chinese welded frame lately? My XACD built frame is pretty impressively constructed weld - wise. My dad's been a professional welder and worked in QA/QC for going on 30 years (he certifies welders too) and he was fairly impressed with the welds on the frame. Anywhoo, where are they built then, Taiwan?

Second - you could get away with running a larger offset suspension fork and make the bike handle well still; the bb height may increase by an inch or so and the virtual tt length would shorten a little though.
    "I'll disintegrate over time if I expect my body to try to keep up with my mind" -BM

Race, Rocks or Road...Just Ride

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by tozovr
    How about this...A Dean Colonel, built here in the US is $1550...If Niner can beat that by a few hundo they'll be coming in at a great pricepoint.

Again, nothing against Niner. I think they have a beautiful frames, and frankly I'm not one to not ride something because it wasn't made in the US....I was just surprised to learn the one9 is an $800.00 frame.
    the dean is $1750. +200 for the mod dropouts

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Fulton
    the dean is $1750. +200 for the mod dropouts
    And then wait, wait, wait at least 3 or 4 months?

MTB B'dos

Wink Niner=WAIT

and you figure all the folks who are sitting waiting on other Niner frames would say anything different? I know of several people who have been waiting for months to get a Niner, don't think they've quite figured out that they're a popular brand, that's doing well and will continue so produce higher runs of the damn bikes already
    Quote Originally Posted by Napfgeist
    And then wait, wait, wait at least 3 or 4 months?
    One day your life will flash before your eyes, will it be worth watching??
    MTB Barbados
    My Phantom pics

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    I thought Ti and a set-screw style EBB runs the risk of ovalizing?

And the non-suspension corrected is kind of a bummer IMO also.

People of zee wurl,Relax!

Carver TI for $1K

Carver will be selling a TI 99er for about 1K. It is made in China but that is a great pricepoint for a TI bike.
    Less Talk, More Rock.
    http://www.peakmtb.com

mtbr member
    More info from the MTBR Interbike page:

The latest project is a titanium 29er hardtail. Yet unnamed, Niner will seek the publicís help to determine the configurations to produce. Singlespeed, geared, rigid fork only, EBB are some of the configurations in play. Mtbr will develop some quick polls after the show to collect some opinions in the matter.

MTB Monkey
    Quote Originally Posted by CJones
    Mtbr will develop some quick polls after the show to collect some opinions in the matter.
    Cool! I'm going to vote for a 26" wheel version!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast