mtbr member

Any real innovation???

Did anybody who attended this years Interbike show actually find any real innovation? The only things that I found that were of any significance were:

1. Acros Hydraulic shifters and derailleurs.

+ Nearly 1/2 pound lighter than XTR, more positive shift, as you push the derailleur in either direction, rather than relying on a spring, and possible to shift by hand through the entire range of gears, should you rip a hydraulic line off.

- $2000.00 pricetag

2. Shimano XT brakes.

+ Cooling fins on brake pads run cooler, more positive bleed with less chance for air in lines, sturdier hydraulic lines.

- Slight weight penalty for cooling fins and sturdier lines, and cooling fins will be one more place for mud to accumulate.

3. Suntour's new super quick, quick release for through axle forks.

+ Strong, reaspnably light, and SUPER QUICK!

- Only available for Suntour forks.

Other than these three things, most of what I found was about as exciting as a tire that comes in a slightly better looking shade of black, or a downhill frame that is now 5 grams lighter than last year's version.

Maybe next year, someone will come out with some real innovation, such as adding another cog to a cassette, addng a millimeter or two of more travel to a fork, or making innertubes in a variety of colors.
    If more people rode more bikes, more places, more often, the world would be a more better place!

lookin' for a hill
    hmm.. real innovation?

well, suntour had the qLoc last year, and the XT is trickle down. Hydraulic shifting I guess is an adjustment of method.

As far as true innovation, I don't think I can recall any. If the Ibis ripley were there, maybe. eccentric pivots. but again, maybe just an adjustment of method. Maybe Specialized's autosag, but never went by to check it out.

mtbr member
    Hey, Thanks for looking at our product and stopping by the booth. We have used the Q-loc since 2009 and was designed in 2007.

It's not a perfect system but works pretty well on most hubs.

Best Nick
    Last edited by SRvancouver13; 09-28-2011 at 04:01 PM.
    SR Suntour warranty/technical advisor

mtbr member
    I couldnt find the hyd shifters! I was bummed to that fact. Electric shift was a nice touch though. I did however find the string bike. I was impressed at the innovation, no doubt the hipsters will be picking this up just as quickly as the belt driven has gained in popularity. Lemme host a photo or two on PB then Ill link them.

-Chris

mtbr member
    Here:

mtbr member
    I also liked the Nicolai Helius Pinion 3 gear box frame. Once that technology hits about $1500 for frame and gear box I am in.

Helius Am Pinion