swag ho Administrator

All our videos in one click

This is really cooooool. Put this up on another window and read it running all day!!

If that doesn't jump to the next video automatically, go here and 'play all':

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Re-Ta...x=0&playnext=1
    IPA will save America

29 some of the time...
    Ugh. Bunch of marketing hoo-hah.
    "lighter"
    "look its carbon"
    "all the cool kids will be running this"
    "more powerful"
    "stiffer"
    "exclusive"

Bleh
    Quote Originally Posted by saturnine
    that's the stupidest idea this side of pinkbike.

swag ho Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by AL29er
    Ugh. Bunch of marketing hoo-hah.
    "lighter"
    "look its carbon"
    "all the cool kids will be running this"
    "more powerful"
    "stiffer"
    "exclusive"
    Bleh
    I'm going out on a limb here but I suspect making new products, getting dealers to carry it and getting consumers to buy it has something to do with a tradeshow.

fc
    IPA will save America

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Excellent job, francois!

29 some of the time...
    Quote Originally Posted by francois
    I'm going out on a limb here but I suspect making new products, getting dealers to carry it and getting consumers to buy it has something to do with a tradeshow.

fc
    Yep, just the delivery and "buzz" words got to me after a few of them. I actually though that the Norco rep was spot on, would have been a very good vid if he would have just hung onto the mic. Some guys just have a clear, concise, and informative pitch. Maybe too much beer drinking by the rest? MF of Santa Cruz was a hoot

No offense to ultralord and the MTBR crew, vids are appreciated as is the rest of the coverage

swag ho Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by AL29er
    Yep, just the delivery and "buzz" words got to me after a few of them. I actually though that the Norco rep was spot on, would have been a very good vid if he would have just hung onto the mic. Some guys just have a clear, concise, and informative pitch. Maybe too much beer drinking by the rest? MF of Santa Cruz was a hoot

No offense to ultralord and the MTBR crew, vids are appreciated as is the rest of the coverage
    No prob.

There is an oasis developing though and it's the Handmade Bike Show and the other small bike shows cropping up. The artists and the small builders are flocking to those since it's not a carbon tech race and the art of building is revered.

The Panaracer Cedric Gracia video is coming tonight and it is reportedly crazy.

fc
    IPA will save America

No, that's not phonetic
    And you need to be the megaphone for their mouthpieces?

Warning: minor rant follows...

The heart and soul of mtbr is the user reviews, and the forums. It is where the marketing rubber meets the road of real user experience. Sure, we buy some marketing hype, but we see through a lot of it too. The fact that mtbr's Interbike coverage that is heavily slanted towards the floor show and faithfully reproduces the marketer's ad-speak verbatim, and takes actual money from said companies to do it, is a little gross.

Now I know that all the infrastructure (servers, bandwidth, support staff) that the users of this site consume with no regard for how it gets paid for is your issue to wrestle with, and you know who butters your bread, Francis. But that you don't somehow get more REAL people onto bikes at the dirt demo and run their experiences up the flag pole undermines the what gives this site its real heart.

In past years Gregg approached me to do a blog-style post of my IBike Dirt Demo experiences. I thought that was pretty cool, but in the end I preferred the experience of being down on the floor with the unwashed masses and posting my thoughts directly in the forums, where I received some thanks for those efforts, and also got hit with a few rotten tomatoes. KRob and schlim have produced dirt demo writeups that are far more real and content intensive than the ad copy so far posted from this year's "official" coverage. [With their permission, of course] Krob and schlim's writeups should be front and center with big fat perma-links at the top of the official interbike coverage page taking folks wanting a taste of the real Interbike to this forum, to read their real impressions, and then see the real feedback from the mtbr community. In the past I got Dirt Demo stuff out the door on the day it happened, and because of that the combined page views on my two IBike reports in 2007 was almost 60,000. That fact alone tells you that people are hungry for that sort of thing, and if you put out enough bread crumbs, more folks would find their way to KRob and schlim's excellent efforts too.

I appreciate what you guys have built here, and I do acknowledge what a hard row you have to hoe, and that you have offered to give folks like me a "forum" to post our experiences. I just ask that you find a creative way to balance the corporate schilling in the official coverage with the feedback from the guys getting dusty in the heat, doing it for free, for the love of the sport. An obvious link would be a good start.

Thanks Francis and Gregg.

tscheezy
    Last edited by tscheezy; 10-01-2009 at 08:52 PM.
    My video techniques can be found in this thread.

swag ho Administrator
    Oh jeez this is funny...

IPA will save America

(Mtbr Site Manager) Administrator
    Hey tscheezy and Al29er,

Points well taken and dutifully noted.

I WILL be contacting Krob and schlim for permission to feature their write-ups in our coverage (and throw out a t-shirt, at least...)

One of our contributors (Brian Mullin aka pastajet aka Gram's Light Bikes) did include ride impressions for quite a few bikes (seems to be a lot of cross over, actually, in the "popular" bikes to demo.) The more opinions we can garner, the better. But for the most part, yes, our coverage of the show means photos and marketing info. Is this really a bad thing? We aren't trying to pass it off as "review" content. Beats waiting two months for the mags to cover it, right?

As I'm sure you know, it's not always easy to get a fair and accurate (and adequate) impressions/reviews of the demo bikes, within an hour or so on trails that aren't the local ride for most of us. Something else that also needs to be factored in, is that each person MAY have their own chosen favorite brand. Absolutely nothing wrong in that, but it may be a factor for any ride impression/review contributors.

Thanks for the well worded feedback....you guys have given us something to contemplate. Maybe we assign contributors to specific bikes next year?? I personally rode only 3 bikes this year, but I plan on writing up my own opinions after all my other videos and articles are up. (FWIW....SRAM XX kicks ass!)
    -g
    Like us on Facebook - http://www.facebook.com/Mtbrcom

Follow us on Twitter - twitter.com/Mtbr

Mtbr YouTube Channel

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    I thought this was supposed to be a manufacturer mouthpiece video so with that expectation, I have no issues. The IB coverage is not even close to what we used to have a few yeas ago and most people know my stance on the of-late MTBR-Manufacturer closeness so no point me rehashing it here. No offnce gregg, but Pasta isn't even in the league. I don't bother reading his reviews. If Moots made a Unicycle, it would be the Best of the Show.

I do think fracois and gregg are too close to the manufacturers now so next year, maybe facilitate the reviews and vids and let guys like tscheezy, KRob, Shlim, and others do the bulk of the reviews while a stated showpiece for manufacturers (like a well-made video- which is helpful to see all their products) can also be produced so they can show their wares. That would be a good balance but yeah, it really is no secret that you guys are simply too financially tied to the manufacturers...or some of them. Even that GF Superfy 100 video review had no depth to it. Compare that to the 29er Shootout from a few years ago. The difference is depth and impartiality is glaringly apparent.

swag ho Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by Flyer
    I thought this was supposed to be a manufacturer mouthpiece video so with that expectation, I have no issues. The IB coverage is not even close to what we used to have a few yeas ago and most people know my stance on the of-late MTBR-Manufacturer closeness so no point me rehashing it here. No offnce gregg, but Pasta isn't even in the league. I don't bother reading his reviews. If Moots made a Unicycle, it would be the Best of the Show.

I do think fracois and gregg are too close to the manufacturers now so next year, maybe facilitate the reviews and vids and let guys like tscheezy, KRob, Shlim, and others do the bulk of the reviews while a stated showpiece for manufacturers (like a well-made video- which is helpful to see all their products) can also be produced so they can show their wares. That would be a good balance but yeah, it really is no secret that you guys are simply too financially tied to the manufacturers...or some of them. Even that GF Superfy 100 video review had no depth to it. Compare that to the 29er Shootout from a few years ago. The difference is depth and impartiality is glaringly apparent.
    Points taken.

One thing really important is it is really hard, impractical, and sketchy to do a review on a bike after one hour of riding it in unfamiliar terrain. Dirt demo conditions are decent for getting a feel for a bike. Doing a review on it in 100 degree heat in the desert rock and wind is difficult. Some people are pretty good at it but most just struggle even with just getting a bike. But we'll gladly publish and recruit folks that can do something good there. As for reviewing all the parts and components that we cover there, well there's just no opportunity for that.

The Superfly 100... ahh great bike. But I only rode it for two days when I shot that video in new Utah. I will fight to get that bike in home ground soon. In my old age, I find a minimum of 5 to 10 rides in home terrain is needed to properly evaluate a bike.

fc
    IPA will save America

29 some of the time...
    Oh jeez this is funny...
    Now that is good stuff Great delivery. Packs in some information. Gives a rider/pro insight. A bit of genuine excitement to boot. I think they may have broke the mold when CG came out.

mangai.rollin
    dude, that CG vid is awsome.

"verry niice" LMAO! Funny seeing the laid back side of Cedric. I've seen him in action and he seems much larger and meaner when on the bike.

Francis, speaking of oasis, are you and the crew coming up to Portland for the Oregon Manifest show?
    '10 Ibis Mojo SL
    www.mangai-rollin.com We are hiring
    pdx mtb

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Understood- age is doing the same thing to me. Heat is enitrely worse. The main thing is that we don't want MTBR to simply become a manufacturer landscape. It really defeat the purpose at a basic level. To get them to make better bikes and better products, shortcomings have to be pointed out, along with the good stuff. The guys do a pretty good job with that. I still read the old 29er Shootout- what an great review that was!

Anyway, thanks for the coverage- I saw stuff I didn't know existed.

Points taken.

One thing really important is it is really hard, impractical, and sketchy to do a review on a bike after one hour of riding it in unfamiliar terrain. Dirt demo conditions are decent for getting a feel for a bike. Doing a review on it in 100 degree heat in the desert rock and wind is difficult. Some people are pretty good at it but most just struggle even with just getting a bike. But we'll gladly publish and recruit folks that can do something good there. As for reviewing all the parts and components that we cover there, well there's just no opportunity for that.

The Superfly 100... ahh great bike. But I only rode it for two days when I shot that video in new Utah. I will fight to get that bike in home ground soon. In my old age, I find a minimum of 5 to 10 rides in home terrain is needed to properly evaluate a bike.

fc

No, that's not phonetic
    Quote Originally Posted by gregg
    As I'm sure you know, it's not always easy to get a fair and accurate (and adequate) impressions/reviews of the demo bikes, within an hour or so on trails that aren't the local ride for most of us. Something else that also needs to be factored in, is that each person MAY have their own chosen favorite brand. Absolutely nothing wrong in that, but it may be a factor for any ride impression/review contributors.
    And as I'm sure you know, it's not always easy to get a fair and accurate (and adequate) impressions/reviews of the demo bikes from the marketing department of the manufacturer. Something else that also needs to be factored in, is that each person MAY have their own chosen favorite brand, including those industry representatives. Absolutely nothing wrong in that, but it may be a factor for any ride impression/review (or sales pitch) by industry shills.

See, I am only seeking balance, and you have provided your own counter-argument brilliantly. You have provided a huge platform for the industry, and we are trying to claw out a tiny corner for the (perhaps equally biased) common man's non-monetarily incentivized response. Yin? Meet Yang.

No, that's not phonetic
    I just dug around the Interbike page, and I cannot find any mention of the common man's reviews. Can someone help me find them? Maybe my eyesight is getting worse with age.