Powered by ice cream.

56 hours of Interbike 2009

I arranged for a few days off to visit with friends at I-Bike this year. I had hoped to attend the dirt demo, but alas, was needed on the home front, so I have zero riding impressions of anything.

Personally, I find the indoor show a bit of a drag, but I was hanging with friends and thousands of other bike geeks, so it worked out.

What follows is a bit of a trip report with photos of anything that caught my eye along the way.

I drove across four hours of desert only to find myself lost in Vegas. Luckily Foshizzle called me just when I most needed directions. This is even more remarkable because I have never before spoken to him. He sounded suspiciously like a 12 year old girl, but he was able to guide me where I needed to be.

My buds were busy, so I spent a few hours wandering the convention hall.

Banshee Paradox:

Sick bike. Sick build. Make mine orange please, sorry Fred. Unfortunately, Keith did not make the trip from Scotland as I would have liked to talk with him.

Lenz PBJ was at the MRP booth, sporting a Groove 180mm unmodified fork:

I ran into Devin Lenz here and he seemed pleased with how it turned out. This bike is different from the one Mikesee rode at Whistler, I believe the BB is 1/2" lower (13.75" IIRC), and slightly slacker. I thought the new shock mount worked out nice, but can't believe how much work it must be to fabricate this stuff.

White Bros is sporting a new forged crown on their products (but not the 150):

I then met up with my buds and we proceeded to wander around until show close.

Hincape seemed thrilled to be working the show:

Cavendish Tour Bike

Killer paint on that one.

One of my buds is shopping for a new XC race bike. He's 5'5", so I recommended various 26" options for him, believing him too short for the big wheels. Chris at Niner begged to differ...

Yes, that bike is as *****in as it looks. The fork feels hella stiff as well at least to the fore/aft flex I could apply to it at the show.

I was sooo tempted to buy the above frame, but successfully resisted

We strolled over the the Turner booth and ended up talking with Dave Turner for about an hour.

He's super nice, knowledgeable and friendly. I don't think you could go wrong with any of his frames.

I liked this one at the Sram booth:

Not available to the general public unless your name is Tyler Moreland.

At this point the show closed. Both my buds are racing geeks, and they had tickets for us to the Cross-Vegas CX race. I had never been to a pro-type CX race, so I was looking forward to it.

The other two guys flew in, so I had brought up my bikes for some after show riding. This evening's after show ride consisted of getting lost on the mean streets of Vegas riding full suspension bikes on perfectly flat, traffic filled streets for an hour. Of course I forgot my lights, so we had two headlights and one rear blinky for the three of us. This was possibly one of the more terrifying rides of my life until I remembered that no one drives the streets of Vegas impaired

Anyway, we got there safely and observed the races. The pro guys and gals simply haul on these cross bikes. Very impressive to watch. We ran into DT again and talked for probably another hour. We also ran into Devin Lenz again and I think he was please to see three of his frames rolling around the infield of the race.

I found it interesting that with thousands bike nuts, only a very small percentage bothered to ride their bikes out to this race. I believe many were too intoxicated to ride safely anyway

We rode home a little more safely and crashed into bed.

Stuff from indoor day two:

I liked the Pashleys

I like folders:

I could never in a million years ride this thing, but it looked cool:

Lots of Sportmobiles in attendance:

Rawland stuff looks good

Some sort of electric monstrosity

Quote Originally Posted by buddhak
    And I thought I had a bike obsession. You are at once tragic and awesome.