Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Sep 2009

2011 Interbike not in Vegas!!!!

For 2011 Interbike will be moving to Anaheim, California!!!

ride more
    Mar 2007
    Why ?

banned
    Apr 2010
    An effort to further destroy Las Vegas' economy?

They probably got space and a better deal in Anaheim.

mtbr member
    I've read that there has been a push by some in the industry to get out of Vegas and to a more "bike friendly" area. I don't really think that Anaheim was the best choice. There was a lot of talk about Denver, but the time of the year they do Interbike, Denver's weather could be shaky. It'd probably be nice, but there is always that chance.

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    From what I hear it is an attempt to move it to a more bike friendly city as well. Interbike has been in Anaheim before, probably ten years ago. I suspect we will see fewer people in attendance since the only reason to attend is the actal show now. Many times when I went, some of the employees from the shop never made it to the actual show due to hangovers and what not. I am curious to see where they hold the on-dirt demo.

Grams Light Bikes
    Quote Originally Posted by Team Fubar Rider
    I've read that there has been a push by some in the industry to get out of Vegas and to a more "bike friendly" area. I don't really think that Anaheim was the best choice. There was a lot of talk about Denver, but the time of the year they do Interbike, Denver's weather could be shaky. It'd probably be nice, but there is always that chance.
    They moved it to the first week in August for Anaheim.

They did a bunch of analysis for four towns for Interbike: Vegas, Salt Lake, Denver, and Anaheim

They got a + or - for each of the following categories ( I placed their abbreviation if they had a + by the category):

- Exhibit space <= LV, A, D (maybe)
    - Location that would maximize attendance <= LV, D, A
    - Large, diverse and affordable hotels, restaurants, entertainment <= LV, D, A
    - Close International airport <= LV, A
    - Good union relations and quality service <= LV, SLC,
    - Outdoor Demo: weather, good trails, etc. <= LV, SLC, D, A
    - Cycling culture <= SLC, D, A

LV (Las Vegas) = A-
    A (Anaheim) = A-
    D (Denver) = C+
    SLC (Salt Lake City) = D+

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    on the other hand, interbike 2000 presented one of the special events i have participated in, a critical mass. vegas IS the most bike unfriendly towns i have ever been in. this provided a contrast that was undeniable. bring a bike. shut down the strip. you'll never forget it!

mtbr member
    I hate Vegas, i went to Interbike 3 times, and hated the city.

mtbr member
    Jan 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by Hand/of/Midas
    I hate Vegas, i went to Interbike 3 times, and hated the city.
    care to elaborate? Heat, wimmin, commercialized-monetized-debauchery, snakes, sand, "culture"?

Nouveau Retrogrouch SuperModerator
    All I care about is having easy flights, simple ground transportation, easy to find a hotel and food choices.

LV has the above down pat.

At IB I spend 90% of my time on the show floor or in my room processing info. Could care less about the city otherwise. Last year I was outside once between Tuesday afternoon and Friday afternoon.
    mtbtires.com
    The trouble with common sense is it is no longer common

mtbr member
    All I care about is the dirt demo. I've been to I-bike 4 times and have never seen the indoor exhibit. In fact, I don't even go to Vegas at all. I go straight to Boulder City and stay at a motel there or at the in-laws up near Overton and drive down the Lake Shore road each morning (zero traffic... beautiful views of Valley of Fire and Lake Mead). I, for one, will be sad to see it leave. Salt Lake would've been fine for me too.

What does Anaheim have for a dirt demo? Fullerton Hills maybe? What did they do in the past when I-bike was there?

Quote Originally Posted by KRob
    All I care about is the dirt demo. I've been to I-bike 4 times and have never seen the indoor exhibit. In fact, I don't even go to Vegas at all. I go straight to Boulder City and stay at a motel there or at the in-laws up near Overton and drive down the Lake Shore road each morning (zero traffic... beautiful views of Valley of Fire and Lake Mead). I, for one, will be sad to see it leave. Salt Lake would've been fine for me too.

What does Anaheim have for a dirt demo? Fullerton Hills maybe? What did they do in the past when I-bike was there?
    There was no Outdoor Demo until a few years ago (6-8?). Started well after IB moved to LV.

"Outdoor Demo tentatively set for Irvine Regional Park."
    mtbtires.com

I Have Cookies
    Quote Originally Posted by shiggy
    There was no Outdoor Demo until a few years ago (6-8?). Started well after IB moved to LV.

Cool.... Just watch out for the Bee's!
    The most important thing is what God thinks about it. He will have the final say. Joshua Stinebrink

____
    Kimo

NMBP
    Quote Originally Posted by shiggy

The first Outdoor Demo that I participated in was in 99 out at Blue Diamond. It was held there for 3 or 4 years before they out grew the area and moved to Bootleg.

Team Hardcore Cornbread
    I would say Aliso Woods Park would give a better option to try different style bikes. XC, AM and DH are all possible there. I suppose space is a concern but Irvine does not have much for DH and have fun pushin' up the biatches with a 40lb bike.

It is hard to beat Bootleg with the easy option to test any style bike. Flying B Ranch in Silverado would be a perfect fit if they can get permission to open it up.
    "Set the gearshift for the high gear of your soul".

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by toyotachaos
    For 2011 Interbike will be moving to Anaheim, California!!!
    You mean back to Anaheim don't you....it's been there many times in the past. Why you ask? Certainly not because John Wayne is a better airport than Vegas....Bottom line is the bottom line....Show owner can make more money there or Vegas has has increased rates. I always liked it better in Anaheim.
    Needed: 26.8mm XTR seatpost, blue GT/Grundig Jersey.

mtbr member
    Jun 2004
    Show management's contract was up in vegas anaslime gave a sweet deal to come back
    vegas (sands) really don't like once a year shows and the bike, snowboard, ski,outdoor retail
    don't really spend the money like the big show people (ces,sema,etc) they spend a lot entertaining clients.Denver, SLC, would be a lot better than socal.

banned
    Mar 2004
    So no love for the East Coast, huh...no worries. I went once and that was enough for 'this' lifetime...

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    should have thought about Boise
    from the convention center, you can be on the trails in 15 minutes on a bike.
    how is that for convenience

mtbr member
    Jun 2004
    Not enough hotels, bars,oh ya the convention center is kinda small.

Quote Originally Posted by mtbmitch2
    should have thought about Boise
    from the convention center, you can be on the trails in 15 minutes on a bike.
    how is that for convenience
    Without enough hotel rooms, show floor space, and easy air access, how close the trails are matters not at all, and interbike is far from just a mtb show.
    mtbtires.com

mtbr member
    What's with the Vegas hate? I'm not a big fan, but I kinda feel like I have the right after 23 years here, I have different hates than visitors. I never really understood why people want to move Interbike out of Vegas, it seems pretty good place for a bike show to me. The perfect convention place, plus a dedicated bike "park" to ride the bikes? Whats wrong with that?Anaheim? Yea, ok....

mtbr member
    I think vegas is fine cause there is lots of activity there but not much riding. anaheim is weak. i think there will be less people going to the show in anaheim. maybe they should look at portland or seattle.

Grams Light Bikes
    UPDATE:

SAN JUAN CAPISTRANO, Calif. - Sept. 18, 2010 - In an effort to continue to best serve the overall needs of the bicycle industry, Interbike management has decided to hold the 2011 installment of its international trade show August 8-12, 2011 in Anaheim, California. The date and location realignment comes after months of collecting feedback from bike industry retailers, manufacturers and partners through surveys, forums and discussions.

Interbike plans to hold the industry's show at the Anaheim Convention Center for three years, beginning with the 2011 show. Interbike has secured Irvine Regional Park August 8-9, 2011, to stage the OutDoor Demo with the indoor portion of the show taking place August 10-12.

No, that's not phonetic
    Quote Originally Posted by KRob
    I, for one, will be sad to see it leave.
    Me too. Screw the floor show, dirt demo is all I go for. I know the number of folks who go to the floor show is probably 10x as many as hit the DD, but the DD is where the reality of the product collides with the marketing hype. At the floor show, all you get is ad copy BS from the marketing department. After DD we would go riding in Utah for a week or two. I know I will never go to SoCal for Interbike. Bummer.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast