Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    master blaster
    im so riding to the show next year.

Dr. Pepper drinker
    Funny that SLC can host the Olympics and the annual Outdoor Retailer convention but supposedly doesn't have the infrastructure (hotels/restaurants/entertainment) to handle IBike? And how is an international airport 5 minutes from downtown not considered close enough? Convention center size is the only downfall I see.
    Sipping the Knolly Whisquillappa

mtbr member
    Aug 2004
    I think you don't speak about the real problem, the date ! Do you think that manufacters have time to produce the bikes for the test ride ? no. In Europe, we have the biggest show in the world, Eurobike, and it's around the first week of Septembre. And do you know what ? we can smell the fresh paint on the frame of many brands... So the first week of august... Hot, hot !

Formerly DMR For Life
    Quote Originally Posted by pastajet
    UPDATE:

SAN JUAN CAPISTRANO, Calif. - Sept. 18, 2010 - In an effort to continue to best serve the overall needs of the bicycle industry, Interbike management has decided to hold the 2011 installment of its international trade show August 8-12, 2011 in Anaheim, California. The date and location realignment comes after months of collecting feedback from bike industry retailers, manufacturers and partners through surveys, forums and discussions.

Interbike plans to hold the industry's show at the Anaheim Convention Center for three years, beginning with the 2011 show. Interbike has secured Irvine Regional Park August 8-9, 2011, to stage the OutDoor Demo with the indoor portion of the show taking place August 10-12.
    So ibike is figuring they are going to get people to their show and Crankworks on the same weekend, good luck, all of the the DH/FR related manufacturers are going to be there where there are thousands of people not just the bike industry, and as someone else mentioned, most bikes for the next year aren't out till later (sept or later)

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    What about the Tahoe area...( Reno or Sacramento?) Plenty of out door demo areas and space for a convention. Reno would retain the gambeling! ;-) Tahoe area for demo rides would rock! I'm sure Reno has the facilities for a big convention... Sacramento too, then maybe Auburn for demo day?
    Best racing series in the West!
    http://www.bicyclingevents.com
    Helmet cam reviews
    http://www.helmetcamreview.com

mtbr member
    Jun 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by CactusJackSlade
    What about the Tahoe area...( Reno or Sacramento?) Plenty of out door demo areas and space for a convention. Reno would retain the gambeling! ;-) Tahoe area for demo rides would rock! I'm sure Reno has the facilities for a big convention... Sacramento too, then maybe Auburn for demo day?
    It would be cool to have the demo day at northstar

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    I thought the convention center staff (GES) in Vegas were rude. We had a car in our booth and the guy in charge of the Convention Center was real ****** bag.. he gave us a really hard time over their screw up.. I'l miss the city, not the staff...
    2009 Rocky Mountain Altitude 70, 2008 Rocky Mountain Slayer SXC, SeaSucker Bike Rack Systems

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Traildawg
    I thought the convention center staff (GES) in Vegas were rude. We had a car in our booth and the guy in charge of the Convention Center was real ****** bag.. he gave us a really hard time over their screw up.. I'l miss the city, not the staff...
    They are just as bad at the Anaheim center. I do think they probably have a tough job but man are they rude at setup time.
    "It looks flexy"

mtbr member
    Also, some shop owners 'round here are wondering why they would hold a show during a month that pretty much nobody has time to leave the shop. August??
    "It looks flexy"

Nouveau Retrogrouch SuperModerator
    After seeing who was not there this year and talking with numerous exhibitors I am wondering if interbike will be worth attending at all in the future.

I have been thinking about how to get to Eurobike.
    mtbtires.com
    The trouble with common sense is it is no longer common

mtbr member

West Coast = Bad choice

Altough I live in Vegas, and also lived in SoCal, I'll miss the buzz of Interbike. I didn't get to attend every year, or couldn't, it was cool running into notables on the local trails (Wade Simmons at Cowboy? Cool.), as well as everyone else coming to ride.

I rode SoCal for years and it's nothing compared to BC, whose trails are perfect for a test ride. Irvine will be like taking a test drive in a Hummer with the car salesman next to you telling you to keep it on the pavement.

On the idea that it's anywhere on the West Coast - my industry's trade show (MedTrade) is in Atlanta...in other words: East Coast. Which means no one has looked at a map - why can't something be more central??? Those from the Rocky Mountains west tend NOT to go to that show, like us here...meaning I would totally understand why the East Coasters would not want to fly all the way across the country to go to Disneyland... I mean Anaheim. We don't get at all giddy about visiting Atlanta, and Anaheim is just as fulfilling (unless you are bringing the kids to Disneyland, it's fun for the first two hours then you are just waiting to go home..).

We have a MedTrade West (smaller show) in Vegas and it is (well, was) visited by most on the West Coast/Mountain Region. The economy shrunk that one down (manufacturers decide to no show saving for Georgia) which forced most people to think about Gaglanta, and then just boycott it altogether.

The writing is on the wall....Poor planning.

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by shiggy
    After seeing who was not there this year and talking with numerous exhibitors I am wondering if interbike will be worth attending at all in the future.

I have been thinking about how to get to Eurobike.
    This.

Also, while doing my weekly QBP last week, their online poll for the week was about I-bike. Over half of the respondents didn't even go, and less than 12% (as of the last time I saw the results) said that they actually made decisions about 2011 lines/product while there. Add to that the respondents to this thread that mostly said "I don't even care about the show, DD is all I need". The sooner the industry as a whole realizes that all IBike is about is pro deals, DD, hanging out, and seeing who gives away the best schwag, the better off it will be. Pretty much anyone from the retail side of the industry knows that VERY few orders are actually written/actual commitments of $ are actually made at Interbike.

I do not say this to belittle or denigrate any of the (especially smaller/lesser known) companies who use Ibike to get a foot in the door, but Ibike costs a lot of companies a lot of money, and those costs are, to one degree or another, "written into" the costs of the goods the companies produce.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Hand/of/Midas
    I hate Vegas, i went to Interbike 3 times, and hated the city.
    +1. The idea of Vegas is waaaay cooler than Vegas itself. I have been to two technical conferences in Vegas in the past 2 years, and it's an a$$-whip. Seedy, overpriced, cheesy plastic crap stuck in the middle of the desert. Pushy cabbies always trying to take you to a strip club.

Oh, I forgot. 'Cirque Du Soliel' in 20 different themes at 20 different hotels. If you actually LIKE CDS, you'll love Vegas. If you think CDS is overproduced homoerotic crap, you're gonna hate Vegas.

mtbr member
    Nov 2010

vegas is the worst

We've exhibited twice and both experiences with the union labor and security were horrible. My staff got charged $50 by union thugs to use the elevator to roll their stuff out. Saw someone almost get killed by a forklift driver. Unfortunately, I hear it's back in Vegas.
    Santa Cruz Stigmata and Yeti 575 usually with a bicycle trailer and kid in tow.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by coloradodad
    We've exhibited twice and both experiences with the union labor and security were horrible. My staff got charged $50 by union thugs to use the elevator to roll their stuff out. Saw someone almost get killed by a forklift driver. Unfortunately, I hear it's back in Vegas.
    Union thugs? Damn, didn't know we had stuff like that here.

Hi.
    I love Vegas. It's cheap to get there (via Virgin America or Southwest,) it's cheap to stay there ($120 or less per night at a 4 star hotel,) the restaurants are excellent, the pools are great, and the clubs are fun all night. And you can legitimately be drunk all day long, and it's perfectly acceptable.

The people who don't like Vegas are the same people who don't go out anywhere except their local dive bar. It's too bad the convention has been moved. Outside of Disneyland, Anaheim is boring.

mtbr member
    [QUOTE=jtmartino It's too bad the convention has been moved. [/QUOTE]

It hasn't been, you're out of touch http://www.interbike.com
    Needed: 26.8mm XTR seatpost, blue GT/Grundig Jersey.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by jtmartino
    I love Vegas. It's cheap to get there (via Virgin America or Southwest,) it's cheap to stay there ($120 or less per night at a 4 star hotel,) the restaurants are excellent, the pools are great, and the clubs are fun all night. And you can legitimately be drunk all day long, and it's perfectly acceptable.

The people who don't like Vegas are the same people who don't go out anywhere except their local dive bar. It's too bad the convention has been moved. Outside of Disneyland, Anaheim is boring.
    The experience of Vegas as a personal vacation destination is totally different than Vegas as a business destination.

Once the thrill and novelty of a cheap vacation where you can be drunk all day wears off, Vegas will get old. That is unless a hotel adds another version of Cirque Du Soleil! Can't have too many of those.

Hi.
    Quote Originally Posted by gm1230126
    It hasn't been, you're out of touch http://www.interbike.com

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    http://www.bicycleretailer.com/news/...tail/4755.html

At least now I know they have no idea what they are doing. They? Take you pick....

is buachail foighneach me
    Guess that should send a message to retailers that when something as big as interbike sends you a survey, you should probably read and respond.

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    Yeah I think it was aroun 1999
    my blog- A mountanin bike fans ,thanks for visiting

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2