Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by AL29er
    Did they mention if that damage would have been covered under warranty?
    I think he was just happy to get out of the SC tent without them dinging his credit card for $700-800 to replace the rear triangle. The guy was actually super cool about it. He just asked him if he was OK and if he liked the bike.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by FM
    Great stuff KRob! Finally the quality coverage we've been waiting for (from Schlim as well). Thanks for the time & effort!

Did you happen to check out the Banshee Spitfire? Looks like a promising rig, although still a prototype.
    THanks.

I didn't see the Spitfire, but they were pretty low on bikes when we went by the Banshee booth.What kind of bike is it? We did see the Paradox and if I were interested in hardtail 29ers I would've checked this one out along with the Canfield 29er. Sweet looking bikes.

In fact we were looking for anything to match up with the DHR on this run and all the Yeti 303s and Giant Faiths were out as well as the Intense 951's. We had to guard this Sythe with our lives while we were waiting for the Banshee tech to finish what he was doing and check it out to us.

One guy came by and was looking at it while I was standing there holding it and begged us to let him take it (I thought for a minute there he was going to offer us money). We said, go find your own bike (politely, of course ).

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    I got to ride the Banshee Spitfire, and it was my favourite bike of the ODD. I don't and didn't ride any DH bikes and currently ride a Transition Covert.

The Spitfire is intended for a similar market as the Covert, and the Banshee guys described it as a bike they'd want to ride when not on their DH bikes. It's got a slacker HA, and an adjustable rear shock position, which I didn't actually understand when I demo'd the bike.

Pedalling the bike up hill was very efficient and effortless. Pointed down, it was the fastest bike I rode. I can't put it into words, but the geometry of the bike was the most comfortable for me and really helped me feel very comfortable at speed.

I know they were having front derailleur issues on the Spitfire, and at least one of their demo bikes was out of commission. I rode a 1x9 setup.

The Banshee guys also pointed out that they had remote-adjustable seatposts in mind when designing the Banshee and the top tube's fitted to run a cable for said seatpost. The other cabling runs under the downtube.

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    Being almost 6 feet, I always rode a large. Now after reading your reviews looks like I better test mediums as well!

swag ho Administrator
    Hey Krob,

If it's ok with you, we're going to copy your whole write-up into the intebike blog. This should give it a lot more visibility and search indexing.

We'll send you the uber-cool Hop On pint glass and Log On shirt.

regards,
    fc
    IPA will save America

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by francois
    Hey Krob,

If it's ok with you, we're going to copy your whole write-up into the intebike blog.
    fc
    Sure, that's OK with me. Thanks Francois.

www.derbyrims.com
    Great write ups again KRob. I just posted six ride reviews in a new thread here. Sorry I didn't call while there. I was spinning in the heat recovering from some stomach bug and didn't feel like I could try to keep up to your pace.

mtbr member

Krob

Thank You for the write-up on the 29'ers ! :-)

That's a bummer that you didn't get a chance to ride the SC Tallboy as I would have loved to read your comparison with the Tallboy and the Sultan.

fan of maple syrup
    That PBJ is one fine looking bike. Would love to give one a go.

Great write-ups. Interbike looks like so much fun.

Grams Light Bikes
    Quote Originally Posted by KRob
    I like to start these mini reviews/impressions with a disclaimer. I get only 30-60 minutes on any of these bikes and even with the technician at the booth setting up the suspension for my weight and me fiddling with it some out on the trail I know that it would take a day or two of riding (maybe more) to get things really set up so that they are working anywhere close to perfection for me and my riding style. In some cases bar, stem, seat, and certainly tire selection had an adverse affect on my impression of the bike. Some bikes were brand spanking new (I was absolutely the first person to throw a leg over some) and in other cases they had been so thrashed about and the fork and shock seals so full of fine Bootleg talc as to affect our impression as well. So, please, donít interpret these views as anything but that. Just one hackís first impression.

Some overriding themes for this year's demo:
    1.) Sheesh, guys. Put some decent tubes in your demo fleet or run them tubeless. We had 5 pinchflats in the first day of riding between us and they all had 1.9-2.0 weenie light tubes (trying to fill 2.35-2.5" tires) with the tires pumped up to 50 lbs to prevent pinch flats so by time you let some pressure out to get the tires to hook up and the suspension to feel right it was always a gamble as to when and where you were going to flat on those square-edged, sharp rocks at Bootleg.
    2.) Bikes are getting lighter. From the 5.5 inch Trail/AM steeds to the full-on DH sleds they all felt a good two pounds lighter than last year.
    3. Carbon does break. Ask Russell how we know.

1) I had to change the heading for my articles from 'Bike AS####-5 - Review' to 'Bike AS####-5 - Ride Impression', but still some people don't get that riding a semi tuned bike for a short period of time is nothing more than my impressions of a bike
    2) I totally agree on the tires, I thanked and complemented the guys at Titus for having my fave tire for places like Bootleg, the Rubber Queens (now called the Trail Kings). Almost all the other bikes have useless tires for rocky, loose and debris strewn trails like Bootleg, a better tire (like the RQ's) might give some bikes a better impression. I was lucky and got no flats this year, but I ride with a light touch.
    3) Carbon can work if it is done right, I have ridden a Ibis Mojo for 3+ years and have taken some frame breaking crashes, and only have minor dings and gouges, so the proper layup and engineering can do wonders on the bombproof abilities of carbon fiber. I broke my old Specialized Epic Ultimate frameset (carbon tube and ti lugs) years ago at Moab, it was still ride-able (doubt aluminum would have been in the crash), fortunately they were able to replace the tube.
    4) Great write ups!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2