Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
    long standing member
    Quote Originally Posted by sopwithcamel
    You know mountain bikes should be beautiful, but in my IMO Knolly aren't...
    I agree that they're not beautiful...in the same way that monster trucks are not beautiful. They're just totally bad-ass.

Krob, awesome work on the reviews. You've got me lusting after a half-dozen different bikes now.

mtbr member
    May 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by KRob
    I was surprised by a couple of things about the El Guapo eventhough I rode it last year and rated it as one of my favorite bikes of the demo. This year it felt a little bigger (it's not), and little heavier (it's not), a little slacker (I don't think it is), and a little less long legged trail bike and a little more All Mountain Nomad beater.
    Just comparing the EG specs on the Titus 2009 catalog to the 2008, and the TT on the medium is .3in longer and wheelbase is .41in longer in the 09's. This, along with the demo's long-ish stem, would account for the bike feeling longer/bigger.

mtbr member
    Ah. That would explain it. I'm glad to see my seat-of-the-pants impression backed up by some numbers.

mtbr member

Hammerschmidt!!

I forgot that I did get a chance to test out this new internally geared crank.

It pretty much does just like they say. It has a small 22t ring incased in a bash guard looking enclosure. The chain runs on this chainring for low gears without additional drag or friction. When you want a taller gear you pull the samll index trigger shifter (backwards from normal) and a 1.6x multiplying cog is engaged which gives you a ratio equivalent to a 34t chain ring. You can shift when mashing on the pedal, while not pedaling, or while pedaling backwards.

The shifts were crisp and distinct feeling and after getting over the awkwardness of having the low/high triggers reversed, worked really well. I could feel a bit of drag in the tall ratio when I stood and tried to crank pretty hard/fast. I couldn't really detect it just spinning along though.

This little device has some real advantages for the AM/FR set who want to go to a dual ring setup but don't want the added complexity of a bash + chainguide and extra chance of dropping a chain.

Advantages include: better ground clearance, no chain slap/rattle on front derailleur, no dropped chains, shifting under power or while not pedalling.

Disadvantages: Weight, cost, and some added complexity in the gadgetry. Untested durability(?).

Pretty cool really. I think it's got a future.

Ibike 2008 and Moab 088
    Last edited by KRob; 10-08-2008 at 03:29 PM.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by geolover
    According to Marz's website = 2800g (6.17#). Knowing Marzocchi, that is probably without the steerer tube weight included . Add another .5#.
    That might explain the front heavy feel of D-T.... well the whole thing is heavy. Probably 38 lbs.

Quote Originally Posted by geolover
    Krob, thanks for the write up. Fun to read, even though you liked everything...you're the MBA of Interbike .
    LOL. Thanks geo. I guess I've been reading too many bike, motorcycle, and car tests in the mags over the years. I'm starting to sound like them. I also tend to be pretty diplomatic generally.

Honestly, the other reason I liked all of them (more or less) is because I only rode those bikes that I knew I would be interested in and knew from previous reports would be good. I was only mildly disappointed in any of them and pleasantly surprised by a few.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

Sultan v. 429

KRob
    Excellent write ups!

Maybe you can help me. I am coming off of a hardtail 29er that I've been riding this summer and before that a HH100X which I rode for over 4 years and absolutely loved. Now I'd like to get back to riding a bike with some of the qualities I had with the HH in a FS 29er. The thing I liked best about the HH is the telepathic handling on tight trails and efficient pedaling. I ride fairly flat, tight techy trails - no racing but I ride aggressively 90% of the time. The two frames I am split between are the Sultan and 429.

I see you mention the qualities of the 429 handling as similar to the HH but you also had zero complaints with the Sultan overall. You also mention that you would replace your HH with a Sultan. Is there any drawback with the handling of the Sultan in tight trails compared to the 429? can you comment on why you would pick the Sultan over the 429 to replace your HH?

All things being equal, I would really like to buy a Turner this time around unless the 429 is clearly a better bike for what I do.

thanks!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by jeffro
    KRob
    Excellent write ups!

Maybe you can help me. I am coming off of a hardtail 29er that I've been riding this summer and before that a HH100X which I rode for over 4 years and absolutely loved. Now I'd like to get back to riding a bike with some of the qualities I had with the HH in a FS 29er. The thing I liked best about the HH is the telepathic handling on tight trails and efficient pedaling. I ride fairly flat, tight techy trails - no racing but I ride aggressively 90% of the time. The two frames I am split between are the Sultan and 429.

I see you mention the qualities of the 429 handling as similar to the HH but you also had zero complaints with the Sultan overall. You also mention that you would replace your HH with a Sultan. Is there any drawback with the handling of the Sultan in tight trails compared to the 429? can you comment on why you would pick the Sultan over the 429 to replace your HH?

All things being equal, I would really like to buy a Turner this time around unless the 429 is clearly a better bike for what I do.

thanks!
    Thanks Jeffro.
    I think the 429 feels more like the HH100x but I liked the expanded versatility and range of the Sultan a bit better (and have always wanted to own a Turner as well) so that's the main reason I would go that way if I were purchasing a replacement for the HH. It felt really efficient yet more plush than the 429 and more capable of handling chunkier riding conditions. It definitely felt more "trail bike" to the 429s more "XC" feel. I didn't ride the Sultan on any really tight twisty trails but I don't think it would give up much to the 429 here either.

I also really wanted to try the RX29er both years I've been to I-bike but have never been able to be at the booth at the right time to snag one. I think it may feel the most like the HH100x of all from what I've read.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by KRob
    Thanks Jeffro.
    I think the 429 feels more like the HH100x but I liked the expanded versatility and range of the Sultan a bit better (and have always wanted to own a Turner as well) so that's the main reason I would go that way if I were purchasing a replacement for the HH. It felt really efficient yet more plush than the 429 and more capable of handling chunkier riding conditions. It definitely felt more "trail bike" to the 429s more "XC" feel. I didn't ride the Sultan on any really tight twisty trails but I don't think it would give up much to the 429 here either.

I also really wanted to try the RX29er both years I've been to I-bike but have never been able to be at the booth at the right time to snag one. I think it may feel the most like the HH100x of all from what I've read.
    that's good info. It sounds like either would work good for me even though I am xc biased which favors the 429.

Just curious, were you running pro-pedal on either shock? I would like to get away from a bike that needs pro-pedal in light of the DW link advantages. That is also why I am overlooking the RX29, even though it may be the most HH-like of the bunch. I am alread convinced just by the fact that the most credible frame designers are endorsing dw link as the real deal (Dave Turner and Chris Cocalis).

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by jeffro
    Just curious, were you running pro-pedal on either shock? I would like to get away from a bike that needs pro-pedal in light of the DW link advantages.
    I had the RP23 set on the lowest propedal setting on both bikes. Although I don't think you can completely illiminate propedal on the RP23 unless Turner or Pivot are getting a custom light valving from Fox (which I heard rumor was the case with the Mach 5). I don't think the Four Bar strut design of the RX needs much, if any, propedal either though.

The DW-link seems to be the real deal. It is a bit better than a Horst Link and VPP no doubt.... kind of combines the advantages of both without their disadvantages.

Try and get a ride on them if you can. Turner is going to be traveling extensively this year with their Demo fleet rather than selling them so check your "local listings". Pivot has been getting around quite a bit also. I saw them at the FFTF in April and the've been in Park City, Phoenix and other places with their demos.

Happy hunting.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3