mtbr member
    Feb 2006

Zerk problem on Tracer VP - grease not going in?

One of the zerk grease ports on my new Tracer VP frame seems to be blocked, or for some other reason not accepting grease. Has anyone else had this problem?

If so, any views on how to fix this problem?

Thanks.

mtbr member

Blocked or

Full of grease? You can't have put many miles on the bike this soon, they only just came out. These grease fittings don't work like those on heavier machinery, i.e. squirting out around the bearings when full. When these spaces are at capacity they simply reject attempts to add more grease.
    Everybody dies, but not everyone lives

mtbr member
    Feb 2006
    I managed to squirt in grease in one of the two ports (with the effect that old grease was purged out through the bearings as intended) - but the problem one resisted any attempt of getting grease in...

Has anyone had problems with the the little ball in the zerk port getting stuck?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by mtnbikerx
    Full of grease? You can't have put many miles on the bike this soon, they only just came out. These grease fittings don't work like those on heavier machinery, i.e. squirting out around the bearings when full. When these spaces are at capacity they simply reject attempts to add more grease.
    really? where does it go then? it has to go somewhere.

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    Mine is the same way...the forward/ upper fitting takes grease but the back/lower one does not....I assumed it was full.

mtbr member
    Sep 2004
    Did you end up finding the problem. Mine is the same, one zerk works perfect but the other wont take anything. Mine is the bottom bracket pivot which wont take any grease.

Ideas Above My Station...
    The whole point in zerk grease fittings is that when you pump new grease in, the old dirty grease is purged out the other side....? If its not happening it sounds like a problem, or am i missing something?
    Its All Downhill From Here....!

mtbr member
    Sep 2004
    You got it, one zerk is purging grease out through the bearing the other is not.

mtbr member
    unless you are only able to push out water and thinned grease once it is contaminated. on turner bushings it kind of works this way. full viscosity grease doesn't come out easily but contaminated grease does due to it being thinner. maybe the grease in the bearings you are trying to pump into is fine. on the other hand i had the same problem on the retro fit bearing kit on my wifes 5.5 on one bearing. i ended up not putting it in a spot that i don't like as it is not as accesable as i wanted. i did wonder if the zerk fitting is extending too deep into the husing and the end of it is up against the axle sleeve and stopping the flow of grease. i haven't had a chance to pull it out and check yet so i am just guessing right now.

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    Maybe your pumping needs work........
    Meh

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    I'm having exactly the same problem, one port works fine - I can pump as much as I like, the other however seems completely blocked...

Mr Intense?!

mtbr member
    This is just a thought-

If the diameter of the holes drilled for the Zerks fitting were a little too small this could cause an issue when pressing the fitting in. Basically the fitting might compress slightly and cause the needle inside the fitting to bind up. I did a retro fit on my SS and had the same problem on the upper (bottom bracket) pivot. Took the zerks out and drilled the hole slightly larger- after that it worked fine. Just my 2 cents.
    Don't drink it

mtbr member
    This sounds like a stuck ball valve in the Zerk and most likley needs to be replaced.
    Another posability is the ball valve got damaged while being installed as the greese is filled in the bearing cavity before the Zerks are pressed in , ( we use a high speed filler gun )
    I am now having the Zerks checked as part of final QC to avoid this.
    Please contact your dealer or Intense if you have this problem and we will get you a new Zerk shipped of.
    I don't recomend drilling the hole bigger as this is a precision fit and done on the CNC.
    The Zerk should take the greese easily and purge out the weep holes on the outer seal when full.The cavity holds quite a bit of greese and depending on your riding conditions will determine how offten you want to recharge with fresh greese. The new Angular Contact bearings are a huge improvement themselves for this application.

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    Slightly off topic but what is the best way to clean the dirt out of the zirks before you pump grease into them?

mtbr member
    I spray a little simple green on them & use a old tooth brush , Spraying a little WD 40 on after seems to keep them clear. Honestly in the past year that we have been using the Zerk fittings on protos etc. none of these bikes have really even needed fresh greese but as part of the testing I check them every couple months.