mtbr member
    Jul 2004

XC Love, AKA works spider 2

Should we start a "post your spider 2" thread?

Here's the virgin. About to go out and get dirty. Works medium, XT, mavic ST's, float 140 RLC (15 T/A) thomson/easton cockpit. Magura Marta brakes.

Weighs in at 26.8 pounds with pedals. You could obviously lighten it up and race it if you wanted.... but this little baby is an all day fun machine.

Feels nice with the 140 up front..... Headed out to Chicopee in a few hours. And yes, the spacers...... I know. It'll be dialed in soon enough

BTW, if you're in Georgia. Look up reality bikes. They're such a good crew. and built this baby sweet
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by velez3000; 04-21-2009 at 01:33 PM.

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    you're missing pics

mtbr member
    Jul 2004

ooops!

Yep, worthless without the pics

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    Looks good! Let us know what you think of the ride.

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    Looks real nice.

That is a lot of stack height under the stem, especially considering your running 140mm forks.

mtbr member
    Jul 2004

spacers

Yes, I know. Remember, once it's cut, it's cut. But you're right. On really steep stuff it wanted to come up a little so I moved it around and now just have the one under the stem.

Gotta play around with the Float R to get the rear set up properly. I read to use 25% of sag on one thread and another said to start at half body weight and work your way up.....well I weigh 160, 165 with gear and was using 150 lbs. It was almost bottoming out on XC stuff, little jumps etc.

It still felt pretty efficient while pedaling. I'm going to bump up the PSI a bit and will report back after tomorrows ride. On the plus side, the bike absolutely devoured all rocks, roots, chatter and gnar. The frame is silent. And sitting and spinning the rear felt pretty efficient. I think it might be a matter of 5 or 10 psi. But that would mean that body weight would be the right setting.

here are some pics from the ride
    Attached Images Attached Images

mtbr member
    Jul 2004

wrong PSI

just hooked up the shock pump and was not at 150, it was a little under 130. I'll have the shock pump with me tomorrow (dumb )

Raised the saddle, moved the shifters and brakes, adjusted the levers. removed spacers and moved the saddle back a little.

feels good. This is going to be fun

mtbr member
    Jul 2004

dialed in

left the house EARLY today and headed north. Set the sag at 13mm and this time the rear felt AWESOME. Got almost all my travel on some nice drops, jumps, etc. but I couldn't see any bobbing during seated spinning and it even felt firm while pedaling out of the saddle.

I was a little skeptical about it coming with a float R vs. an RP23 but VPP does it's thing.

Sorry to beat a dead horse. I'm coming off 4 single pivots and a single speed. Never had one of the newer suspension designs.

Super happy. Couple of notes. if going with a 140, you really don't need much of a riser, angled stem or spacers under the stem (IMHO). I've got it with a 5mm under the stem now and might switch to a 2.5mm

The bike feels very confident on steep stuff and extremely stable.

I'm 5' 9" running a medium with a 90mm zero rise stem and a thomson setback. the cockpit feels great. Running it in the 5" setting and running a conti mntn king 2.4 in the back. The conti's really more like a 2.2 but you have enough room to run a true 2.4 back there.

Any way. I'll report back in a few with some more feedback

mtbr member
    Jul 2004

Spider 2 update

Taken the bike for a bunch more rides. Got the fork and shock dialed. So the bike is super fun. On fast pumpy steep rollers you stand up and mash and boom, stiffens up. The 140 up front really relaxes the geo and makes it super stable. Nice thing is that it doesn't seem like it steers slow. I ride tight twisty trails and the bike carves it up.

So to review the bike. Plush and firm when you need it. Nice small bump compliance. Geometry feels spot on. Steers very well, not twitch y or slow (neutral) Bike feels very calm when pointed down steep stuff. 140 works amazingly well except for the steep climbs where it wants to come up just a hair. I've got a 90 mm stem and a setback post. Maybe running the seat a little more forward would solve it. Pedals well. And the works looks AWESOME!

Great job Intense.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by velez3000
    Taken the bike for a bunch more rides. Got the fork and shock dialed. So the bike is super fun. On fast pumpy steep rollers you stand up and mash and boom, stiffens up. The 140 up front really relaxes the geo and makes it super stable. Nice thing is that it doesn't seem like it steers slow. I ride tight twisty trails and the bike carves it up.

So to review the bike. Plush and firm when you need it. Nice small bump compliance. Geometry feels spot on. Steers very well, not twitch y or slow (neutral) Bike feels very calm when pointed down steep stuff. 140 works amazingly well except for the steep climbs where it wants to come up just a hair. I've got a 90 mm stem and a setback post. Maybe running the seat a little more forward would solve it. Pedals well. And the works looks AWESOME!

Great job Intense.

There is nothing like getting a new ride all dialed. Congrats.

mtbr member
    Jul 2004

Thanks

Yeah, takes time. Anyone else got a Spider 2? Post 'em up!

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    I just got one!
    Built last friday, raced on the same evening and had a couple of rides since - absolutely awesome!
    I am running the forks at 120mm and it just swallows everything up and is super plush but at the same time very efficient and great fun.

Very, very impressed.
    Last edited by MavAndy; 05-18-2009 at 10:09 AM.

mtbr member
    Dec 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by MavAndy
    I just got one!
    Built last friday, raced on the same evening and had a couple of rides since - absolutely awesome!
    I am running the forks at 120mm and it just swallows everything up and is super plush but at the same time very efficient and great fun.

Very, very impressed.

Pic here.
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/23031420@N07/3532067422/
    Looks a bit like my new old style one!!!!!!