Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member

Works Red Tracer and Chris King bottom bracket

Ok, I just couldn't take it any longer, I hadn't built a complete bike in almost a week, was starting to get the shakes, and the works red one was just hanging there laughing at me. Not to mention the fact that the brown santa just dropped off 6 sets of these sweet new bottom brackets and a bunch more headsets. Don't ask for a ride report on the bb's yet, I have NO IDEA, really. They install easily and look good is all I can say.

I just started grabbing random parts we had, heading out the door Friday afternoon, brought it all home for a build up. I know there are a lot of people who wanted to see a medium works red tracer frame, so here you go. Should be a fun bike, when the freaking snow and ICE go away!!!

More pics as I work on getting her finished if any of you'd like.
    Attached Images Attached Images

nerfherder
    I hate how this bike makes me feel like all my other bikes are inadequate.

Sigh. Can't wait to see the finished build! Work faster. =)

mtbr member
    Nov 2008
    my birthday was last week..... i'll pay shipping?

Ideas Above My Station...
    Lovely build, but is it me or does that CK BB look pretty scratched up already?

I'd be royally pi55ed off if my brand new tracer turned up with a new BB in that state!
    Its All Downhill From Here....!

mtbr member

I thought that myself...

Quote Originally Posted by Orange-Goblin
    Lovely build, but is it me or does that CK BB look pretty scratched up already?

I'd be royally pi55ed off if my brand new tracer turned up with a new BB in that state!
    I actually had to go out and look again to see how scratched up it was, but it wasn't, really. I think there are a few normal scratches from the park tool that installs these bottom brackets, but I think the flash really accentuated that.

I see, fair enough, flashes aren't kind to bikes!!

That H/Set / stem combo is what i used to run on my SS, awesome set up!
    But just switched to 1.5" Totems, so had to switch to Sunline stem (Thomson don't do a 1.5" stem any longer than 45mm! Damn them!! ;-) )

mtbr member

Esquire

I bet that thing is going to be killer when all is said and done. The Red BB would've been a sweet match too- it almost matches the Works Red perfectly. Also really diggin the White Lyrik- I need that on my SS

E
    Don't drink it

Quote Originally Posted by E2@CC
    I bet that thing is going to be killer when all is said and done. The Red BB would've been a sweet match too- it almost matches the Works Red perfectly. Also really diggin the White Lyrik- I need that on my SS

E
    Yeah you do! Just put a white Totem on my SS, looks the nuts!!!!

mtbr member

I have one...

Quote Originally Posted by E2@CC

E
    E, I have one, but I wanted a bit of contrast. Anyone who buys the bike certainly we can switch it (and headset to the same color too, if need be). I like the red/black combo though...

mtbr member
    Really nice looking. Will a Lyrik crown clear the downtube with a flush mount headset?

mtbr member

I would say...

I would say, yes, take a look at the picture. The project got derailed by other bike projects that just came up and I have to get completed by the weekend, so this is as far as I've gotten. Sorry guys, but she looks good so far...
    Attached Images Attached Images

mtbr member
    Nice looking bike. I like the color. What size stem are you running? Looks like a med frame. The white fork looks great on the works red. Not running the 1.5 fork? Any reason why?
    Last edited by JohnnyG 1970; 12-17-2008 at 06:17 AM.

mtbr member

2 reasons...

Quote Originally Posted by JohnnyG 1970
    Nice looking bike. I like the color. What size stem are you running? Looks like a med frame. The white fork looks great on the works red. Not runing the 1.5 fork? Any reason why?
    Well, for 2 reasons. The first is that I typically prefer (if the bike doesn't have an owner yet), to go with 1 1/8", as they of course will still work in the smaller headtubes, but the 1.5", you have no choice but to put it in a 1.5"... From experience, when someone comes in to ride the bike, look at it, and people being SET on certain forks, there is a better than 50% chance I will end up changing the fork anyway, and then looking for a home for this lyrik. If it is a 1 1/8", I have a better chance at finding a home for it.

The second and more practical reason is that this was a warranty replacement (no questions asked), for a previous years lyrik solo air that had bad bushings, in 1 1/8".

I think that stem is 70mm, and it is a medium, crossmax sx wheels, Continental Gravity 2.3" UST tires, J7 brakes, etc.

mtbr member
    I see. Q What do you like better the Lyrik or the Fox 36 Talas RC2 1.5. Nice bike.Someone will scoop that up.In your opinion is the C/K BB better than the Shimano XT bottom BB.Also for my Uzzi build in your opinion who makes the best headset?

mtbr member

King Homer

I'm a King homer, so I'd say go with a Chris King on the Uzzi, I absolutely love them, and with the new "no star nut" system, they are quite handy to install.

As for the bottom bracket, I'd say they probably will be more durable, but to be honest, I can't see dropping $100 or more on a bottom bracket, especially when you can buy 3-4 of the Shimano ones for the same amount of money. At the same time, the bling factor cannot be overlooked for an extra $70 or so... I may see things differently when I try them out next spring, pull the first one apart and they are still pristine, but at this point, I'm skeptical.

Lovely looking bike, can't believe you used Continental Gravity tires though....... i can only guess its seriously dry out there???

They are without doubt THE worst tires i've ever ridden in damp conditions, they came on my UK Spec Orange 5, and were the worst spec choice i've ever come across on a pre-built bike!!!

Anyway, great spec and lovely looking apart from that saddle (IMO) ghastly!

Good work Esquire!

mtbr member

Really?

Quote Originally Posted by Orange-Goblin
    Lovely looking bike, can't believe you used Continental Gravity tires though....... i can only guess its seriously dry out there???

They are without doubt THE worst tires i've ever ridden in damp conditions, they came on my UK Spec Orange 5, and were the worst spec choice i've ever come across on a pre-built bike!!!

Anyway, great spec and lovely looking apart from that saddle (IMO) ghastly!

Good work Esquire!
    Sh it, really? Someone ordered them and they were one of 2 sets of UST tires we had, the others were DH and they seriously wouldn't have worked for this bike. Maybe someone on the west coast might want them then. I'll leave them for now, just for show, and usually people pick their own favorite brand of tire anyway, but bikes look stupid on the rack without tires...

oh don't let me pi55 on your bonfire, they might work great for dust/dirt tracks etc, but in mud, or damp ground, they seemed to slide to the left or right, as if its being forced one way of the other by the triangular centre tread, was a weird and very short experience!

I agree, the bike would look weird without tires!

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    esquire, sorry to hijack your thread...but what kind of Park Tool did you use? I have my CK BB waiting to be installed and I have this socket type Park Tool. I'm just afraid I might end up with that kind of installation.

mtbr member

The original...

Quote Originally Posted by schumi
    esquire, sorry to hijack your thread...but what kind of Park Tool did you use? I have my CK BB waiting to be installed and I have this socket type Park Tool. I'm just afraid I might end up with that kind of installation.
    I have the original, looks like a big "O" attached to a blue handle. The socket type is at the shop and doesn't do this... and come on guys, its not that bad, believe me...

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    i do believe you!!! so, i rather use the socket type than my other BB tool with the handle.

not so super...
    send me the scratched up BB and I'll slum around with it.
    Nothing to see here.

Botox User
    Aug 2008
    I thought CK came with its own installation tool to prevent scratches like that?
    09 Tracer VP - "wtf, am I hovering?"

Dude, got any schwag?

True dat

"I thought CK came with its own installation tool to prevent scratches like that?"

It's not available yet.
    Billy

Speed is sweet, it's like an avenue to
    ... Shredtopia!

mtbr member
    Dec 2008
    That is looking awesome esquire, be sure to post up some ride pics.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast