Words cannot describe.....

how much I love this Spider 29 Comp!

Thanks crew at Intense for making this beauty/beast

Specs:

Large Spider 29 Comp
    Easton Carbon Havoc Bar
    Syntace 60mm Stem flipped down
    Red King Headset
    Fox 32 Float 29 - 120mm - waiting for spacer kit so I can install my Fox 34 at 130mm
    XTR Brakes
    Roval Carbon Wheels
    XX1 drivetrain 34t up front
    Nobby Nic front, Rocket Ron back
    Reverb Stealth post
    Red Hope Seat Collar

weight.....26 lbs, 7oz!

I love the balance this bike gives on the flow and downhill, truly intuitive.
    The climbing is just fine, pedal smoothly and up you go.
    I gave up my Tallboy LTC to go with the Spider and Strava speaks the truth...a bunch of my DH PR's are now on the Spider
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Words cannot describe.....-spider-1.jpg  

Words cannot describe.....-spider-2.jpg  

Words cannot describe.....-spider-3.jpg  

What is thy bidding, my master.

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    That is sick - very nice build! I keep lurking on these new build threads to keep myself tided over until mine arrives, hopefully next week. I am going with a 130mm spaced down 34 Float on mine as well. Enjoy it in good health.

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    Sweet rig!

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    Wow lovely bike there clyde. I think I would go the same colour and size.

Can you give us more details, a small ride review mate. You comp guys are holding back on us lurkers and procrastinators. Its time to fess up and give us some ride opinions, as subjective as they may be.

Now you are the perfect candidate Clyde, as you have come off a TB Ltc. Can you give us your views on where you think the Comp might have had strengths on/over the TB? What rear travel are you running by the way?

The comp is way slacker than a TB, did you notice any draw backs with the slackness in more XC tracks?

Please elaborate so as we can salivate.

mtbr member
    me too i like to know what you find pro and cons from the Santa TB LTc you have come.

Bikes!
    I love that bike! Looking forward to hearing your comparisons to the TB LTc too...
    2014 Yeti SB95c
    2014 Trek Stache 8
    2013 Trek CrossRip Elite

mtbr member

Must be Nice

Must be nice!!!!!

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    Amazing LOOKING rig....

Could I please ask you a few questions?

Why are you planning to change to a 34 fork, is it because you want a higher from end / slacker head angle with the same amount of travel on the front or is it because you feel the 32 is to flexy?

Could you please let me know what travel you are running the rear in at present with the 130mm forks?

Do you find the bike has a long top tube? and please could you say how tall you are?

Regards
    Steve

American Made!
    Quote Originally Posted by WilliamK View Post
    Wow lovely bike there clyde. I think I would go the same colour and size.

Can you give us more details, a small ride review mate. You comp guys are holding back on us lurkers and procrastinators. Its time to fess up and give us some ride opinions, as subjective as they may be.

Now you are the perfect candidate Clyde, as you have come off a TB Ltc. Can you give us your views on where you think the Comp might have had strengths on/over the TB? What rear travel are you running by the way?

The comp is way slacker than a TB, did you notice any draw backs with the slackness in more XC tracks?

Please elaborate so as we can salivate.
    A few observations/comparisons for you

I really did like my LTC but it always had that "long" feel and rightfully so with the 17.9 chainstays and longer front end feel. Going from a Tallboy C to a LTC its the Ups that you notice right away.
    My Tallboy was such a good pedaler and solid uphill bike there were times you felt like you were cheating...the LTC never had that feeling but was worth every pedal stroke once the trail was flow and or down.
    This is where the Spider fits in.
    Climbs like my Tallboy and has that more upright feel but when it flows and go downs, I feel like I am on the LTC but a much "peppier" feel.
    The Spider begs to go fast and I have lost nothing from the LTC...Granted there is a noticeable difference on the big stuff but not enough to give up the Spider for the rest of trail.
    Steep climbs, especially the grinders here in socal, you just stay seated and pedal or on short and steeps I just stand up. I really have yet to feel any loss from a Tallboy C.
    I have yet to run the 5" travel position- kinda waiting to convert my Fox 34 140 to 130mm - but am planning on at least trying it on a couple trails the next few days as we are heading to Sedona today!

American Made!
    Quote Originally Posted by stejam View Post
    Amazing LOOKING rig....

Could I please ask you a few questions?

Why are you planning to change to a 34 fork, is it because you want a higher from end / slacker head angle with the same amount of travel on the front or is it because you feel the 32 is to flexy?

Could you please let me know what travel you are running the rear in at present with the 130mm forks?

Do you find the bike has a long top tube? and please could you say how tall you are?

Regards
    Steve
    I had the 34 fork on my LTC and really liked the lateral stiffness. Never thought I'd be able to tell the difference until I got back on a 32 and hit the same trail and felt "pinging"...it just wouldn't hold the line as smoothly. Not a huge deal but glad I kept my 34!
    I demoed a Spider with a 130mm fork and it felt great so I can only imagine the 34mm fork
    set to 130mm of travel should be even better, I hope!
    The large has a long TT which I like. It allows me to run a nice short stem so it is soo much easier for me to get over the front and drive the bike through corners. I am 6ft tall with a 33" inseam and love the way the large fits.
    Hope that helps!

mtbr member
    Jul 2009

Very nice

Hey clyde, thanks heaps for your further impressions. It seems that you were holding back and had an even deeper appreciation of TBs, having also owned the TBc. You are indeed a worthy advisor and guide here...It was really good to hear your opinions with the mix of those 3 top end bikes under your belt.

And, I liked what you had to say. Makes sense re the climbing, the Spider comp has a pretty good seat angle, should be a great climber really.

Peppier than an Ltc and more capable than a TBc is the ticket Id say. Sounds like a real weapon, seriously nice with that longer top tube allowing for short stems and inviting some nice weight work over the front tyre yum! And yes it will be interesting to see how it is in full travel position to possibly a close match for a Ltc and possibly too close to tell the difference in 8mm of travel unless super rough and fast, although Id prefer the Spider HA for the steeps. Ah, compromises. So much fun to be had with so little ride time huh. Again, great bike Clyde. Thank you.

American Made!
    Well a quick South Mountain/Sedona trip these last few days just reaffirmed my love lol!

A few pix from South Mountain..

great conditions, the overcast and light rain made the trails tasty!

Had a Carbine with us as well as a Rocky Element BC Edition, excellent selection of bikes lol!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Words cannot describe.....-mormon-loop.jpg  

Words cannot describe.....-spider-carbine.jpg  

Words cannot describe.....-south-mtn.jpg  

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    That looks great on the trail Clyde. Somehow it just seems all the more appealing when it is in context with other bikes on a trail. Or, that could be just the fact that you have one and I want one.

That's a very decent weight for the calibre of the bike. No wonder it flys. Feel free to show off and woo us some more with gushing tails of trails. Thanks for sharing those pictures. Cheers.

American Made!
    Finally made it to Palm Springs to ride this last weekend and brought the beast!

So much fun, once the Spider just goes and goes and what a great trail....once again it charged all over the palm to pines trail!

Words cannot describe.....-hahn-trail.jpg

Words cannot describe.....-pc-trail.jpg

Words cannot describe.....-pc-trailhead.jpg

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by 1x1clyde View Post
    A few observations/comparisons for you

I really did like my LTC but it always had that "long" feel and rightfully so with the 17.9 chainstays and longer front end feel. Going from a Tallboy C to a LTC its the Ups that you notice right away.
    My Tallboy was such a good pedaler and solid uphill bike there were times you felt like you were cheating...the LTC never had that feeling but was worth every pedal stroke once the trail was flow and or down.
    This is where the Spider fits in.
    Climbs like my Tallboy and has that more upright feel but when it flows and go downs, I feel like I am on the LTC but a much "peppier" feel.
    The Spider begs to go fast and I have lost nothing from the LTC...Granted there is a noticeable difference on the big stuff but not enough to give up the Spider for the rest of trail.
    Steep climbs, especially the grinders here in socal, you just stay seated and pedal or on short and steeps I just stand up. I really have yet to feel any loss from a Tallboy C.
    I have yet to run the 5" travel position- kinda waiting to convert my Fox 34 140 to 130mm - but am planning on at least trying it on a couple trails the next few days as we are heading to Sedona today!
    Interesting to read. I'm currently on a TBc, but thinking I should have gone longer travel. I've been looking at the Spider 29Comp and the Niner RIP 9 RDO.

Having ridden it now for a while I would like to hear your thoughts on my plan. I was considering a Spider Comp with the Fox 34 Talas 150/120.

I was thinking that the Talas would really make the bike versatile. 4.5 inch with 120 for aggressive XC and 5 inch/150mm for a few times a year that I go ride some bigger stuff.
    13 Lenz Lunchbox punkass

mtbr member
    Clyde, what Q cranks did you end up with?

mtbr member
    What is the gearing? Im converting my same bike this week to a 32 F -R- 11-42 1x10 setup.

American Made!
    Quote Originally Posted by rgeniec View Post
    What is the gearing? Im converting my same bike this week to a 32 F -R- 11-42 1x10 setup.
    I had it set up 34t front and 10-42 rear XX1 11 speed.
    Have fun!

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    I sold my Spider Comp because I live on the east coast in the Piedmont area of North Carolina. The bike LITERALLY took the challenge out of mountain biking! If I lived or rode Pisgah I'd get another one, but at 59 years old that simply isn't going to happen. In just about every way it was the best bike I think humans could make. Here though a 29er hardtail is my choice for all kinds of reasons. I was faster on the Spider as all you have to do is keep the bike on our trails as it again literally sucks up anything on the trail and makes it like sitting on the couch watching a video game.