mtbr member
    Dec 2012

Why is it that one size fits all? - Trail and offset talk...

I noticed the below statement from Intense on the 951 Evo's geometry vs. the M9.
    Comming from the motorized side of 2 wheels, where each model (let alone each vendor) uses its own offset for the front's geometry.
    Given that the bicycle world seems so much more user focused on being optimized to creature and specific handling cosideration and preferances (from frame size to drivetrain to cockpit erogo):
    why is it, then something so fundametal as offset is left to "one size fits all" for a given wheel size?

A common point of confusion is the head angle. At 62.5 degrees, the 951 Evo is slacker than the M9's 64-degree neutral setting. Typically, that would point to the 951 Evo being less responsive, and more high-speed capable, but then you need to consider the impact of fork offset. You see, 27.5-inch Downhill forks run a longer offset, which translates into less trail for a given head angle. And as the geometry-obsessed among us will already know, trail is far and away the largest determining factor in a bike's cornering feel. In other words, the steering feel of the 951 Evo is similar to that of a 26-inch bike at 64 degrees, with the added fore-aft stability that comes with a more relaxed head angle.
    Last edited by Jonathan972; 02-02-2014 at 04:49 AM.

mtbr member
    Dec 2004
    I'll take a stab at this...

With being able to choose your own preferred suspension fork, you lose the ability to have that user-specified fork offset. I like my Marzocchi 888 Evo but if I wanted to I could put on a Fox 40, Boxxer... etc, on my M9.

The only way to make fork offset user-adjustable would be for the individual fork manufacturers to offer different crowns with different offsets for their forks; I don't see that happening. Which is why I suppose everything else out there is adjustable (handlebars, anglesets, stems...etc).
    -2000 Giant DH Team
    -2003 Balfa BB7
    -2004 Nicolai Nuclean ST
    *DH riding hiatus*
    -2011 Intense M9

mtbr member
    Dec 2012
    Thanks CR,

I would agree to that, just that the way our engined fellows organized it is that, the tripple clamp is specific per model while as the stanchions are manufactured by the suspension companies (e.g. OHLINS).

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    Don't bike companies do this to a degree by changing head angles? The combo of head angle and offset are used to set the right trail figure and the bike manufacturers adjust the head angle to get the right trail range based on the range of offsets available for the popular forks. Just another way to skin the cat.

The White Jeff W

Re: Why is it that one size fits all? - Trail and offset talk...

How about an eccentric in the axle mounts on the fork. That would give some measure of adjustability without the expense & tooling of multiple lowers.
    No moss...

mtbr member
    Dec 2004
    They could I suppose do that but then they'd have to develop some sort of adjustable brake mount.

Sent from my SGH-I337M using Tapatalk
    -2000 Giant DH Team
    -2003 Balfa BB7
    -2004 Nicolai Nuclean ST
    *DH riding hiatus*
    -2011 Intense M9