mtbr member
    Mar 2006

Who's still rockin' a 6.6 ?

I'm keen to hear from those still riding their 6.6 and what the set-up is these days.
    I was about to pulled the trigger on a heavily discounted Tracer from Jenson but then decided against it and have instead decided to make some more changes to my 6.6 in order to have it do what I want it to do these days.

For the past three years I've been riding it with a 36 Talas up front and a CCDB at the back plus some K9 cups to slacken it out - and I've been loving it. But, since I bought a carbon All Mountain hardtail (On-One 456c) I've come to really appreciate the importance of light weight and suddenly my 6.6 feels like a slug. I've also realised that for all but the most DH riding - I don't need all that much travel. Sooooo - I've ordered a RS Revelation and a Pushed Monarch to make the bike lighter, leaner and more trail bike than AM. I'll then have two bikes in one because I'll throw the origional gear back on if I'm riding more DH / AM type terrain.

Anyone care?

Team 5Hunner
    Feb 2010
    Hi Bud,

I care - old skool 6.6 all the way

I'm still using and abusing my 6.6, and have just spent a small fortune changing things to tart her up and be more suited to aggressive all mountain/gravity activities.

Just had the frame mirror polished, new Nuke Proof Yellow AM wheelset, DHX4 rear shock, and some offset bushings (sure it was reading a post recently, involving your bike a couple of years back that steared me that way), and the Lyrik coil forks are away at TF Tuned getting a service and new DH spec damper cartridge installed.

After running the dreaded DHX Air for yearsthe coil has transformed the bike into what I wanted it to be. Cna wait for the forks to come back so I can hit the trails.

I too was thinking of the rear shock/front fork second option, for normal trail activities.
    My current rides.
    Intense 6.6 coil/coil AM.
    Commencal Max Max Superteam jump bike.

mtbr member
    Jan 2009
    Still blasting my 6.6, Lyrik 2 step up front and the dreaded DHX air - keep thinking about changing to a coil on the back

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    Yup, I'm still in. 66 Zocchi's (180 mm), off-set bushings by Beth (UK) and recently got a CCDB 2nd hand to replace my Pushed Fox Van R (still playing with the set up on the CC).

If I made any changes I'd go for a lower A2C fork (160 mm) w/ an angle reducer head set to further drop the BB while keeping her slack.

Looking forward to your report regarding the Pushed Monarch.

mtbr member
    Thinking about converting my 6.6 to a 69er. Anyone seen that done?

Team 5Hunner
    Feb 2010
    Only 5 of us

Are these the only 6.6's that havent broken
    My current rides.
    Intense 6.6 coil/coil AM.
    Commencal Max Max Superteam jump bike.

Dr. Bike
    Mar 2006
    I'm on my second one and love it. It started making an odd sound near the end of Sundays ride... I'm afraid to look at it...
    If you make something idiot proof, someone will make a better idiot !

suspension whore
    mine is still my everyday ride ( but the second child has killed the everyday riding).
    Still going strong in my garage.
    170mm fork, CCDB with off set bushings, 10mm bolt on rear end. Burly build at 35 lbs but a capable climber and very capable descender.
    BB is about 14 1/8 which seems managable .

To the 69- er poster, I'm guessing a 29 whell up front would lift the BB to a height that may not be desirable, just get a 29er if thats where you want to go.

As to my 6.6, if I was ridding more I may have upgradeitis but is it sits right now, I dont see anything I would want to buy that wouldnt require a complete new bike and there's nothing that I want right now. I like that the 6.6 fits between the uzzi and the tracer. Maybe the yet to be delivered turner RFX may inspire?
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Intense 6.6..... Demo 9.

Mammoth MTN downhilling - check it out
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xb_m_pb0Ns0

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    Been riding mine for two years now. Despite its flaws I really like it. Still, I am thinking about trading it for a 5 inch lighter frame.

Running a 36 Van and a RP23. The cockpit is a 70 mm Thomson X4 and a Sunline V1 bar. Avid Elixir R to keep me away from the trees and Shimano SLX/XT in the drivetrain. Currently I am using a 2x9 (36/22 in the front and 11-32 in the rear) but I just bought a new transmission. I am giving this 1x10 trend a shot.
    Just sold my Bontrager Rhythm Elite wheels and I am now waiting for a new set of wheels with a 10 mm rear axle.

Still looking for some offset bushings.

When my post count reaches 10 I will post some pics.

mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    Sad news - mine has been retired. I finally came to terms with the fact that at 6 foot tall on a medium frame - the bike was always too small for me. So when those discounted Tracers came up on Jenson - I snapped one up because I could fit all the 6.6 parts on there with no issue (which was important because I have a dropper post and CCDB which I wanted to keep using).

Interestingly - the differences in performance between the two bikes really isn't as great as people said. The longer bike suits me much better but suspension wise - there's very little in it.

mtbr member

2006 Hot Rod Orange 6.6 still going strong.

I'm not, but my buddy who bought it from me 2.5 years ago is still riding it. He's replaced most of the parts but the Van 36 fork is original. I'm really surprised he hasn't broken it.

He rides almost daily. Jumps, drops, urban trials, etc. He breaks everything. Tough bike.

These are pics of Russel riding it recently
    DSC00665

Squaw Peak Oct 2010 002

Here's a couple of the 6.6 in its younger years.
    Park City and Alpine Loop 007

fruita and moab 0041
    Attached Images Attached Images

suspension whore
    Quote Originally Posted by gravityfreaky View Post
    Interestingly - the differences in performance between the two bikes really isn't as great as people said. The longer bike suits me much better but suspension wise - there's very little in it.
    GF - care to expand - do you miss the extra travel of the 6.6 on the way down?
    Tracer is better climber?
    Intense 6.6..... Demo 9.

mtbr member
    I can't seem to want to change. I bought a 6.6 SS and it doesn't ride as well as the 6.6 for my riding. Also, I have a Blur LT2 and it is really good. However, for All Mountain / Freeriding, the 6.6 is awesome. The frame is best I have ridden. Pedals well, handles rough chop well, and jumps well. It is really is a do it all bike. It is going to be difficult to replace.

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    Still love mine although with two kids now it rarely leaves the garage which is probably why it hasn't cracked yet (have no money to replace it either if it does). Medium in red with Van 36's up front, ISX-6 evolver out back, and Mavic Crossmax SX wheels, plus XT build. Somehow managed to keep the weight down to 32lbs which I think has a lot to do with the wheels and tubeless tyres plus the air shock.

Still really irritated by the flex in the swingarm and the too upright seat tube, and although I think the evolver works better than the DHX air on the 6.6, it will never match a coil over shock for DH use.

Would probably go for a Tracer if I was to replace it but dont think that will happen anytime soon.

mtbr member
    Jun 2004

Still on the 6.6

Gravity,

Still on mine which came back to life a few years back with an offset headset and the offset shock bushes (which I still thank you for!).

Just did a gravity enduro race over here in the UK on it and it still goes Ok. Similar to you I have lived with the fact that it is a bit short compared to the modern equivalents - even in the large.

There has been so much press on the offset shock bushes in recent times 'new concept' and all that. Every time I see it it makes me laugh and think 'No not new! Gravity was doing this 2 years ago'.

I then sent your photos to BETD here and had them make them up special - cheapest new bike I have ever bought!

cheers again

dbug

mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by dbug View Post
    Gravity,

Still on mine which came back to life a few years back with an offset headset and the offset shock bushes (which I still thank you for!).

Just did a gravity enduro race over here in the UK on it and it still goes Ok. Similar to you I have lived with the fact that it is a bit short compared to the modern equivalents - even in the large.

There has been so much press on the offset shock bushes in recent times 'new concept' and all that. Every time I see it it makes me laugh and think 'No not new! Gravity was doing this 2 years ago'.

I then sent your photos to BETD here and had them make them up special - cheapest new bike I have ever bought!

cheers again

dbug
    Hey mate,

Yea I've been chuckling to myself reading about these "new off-set bushes innovation" popping up in magazines and online. Nice to know that at least once - I was ahead of the curve!
    Mate the 6.6 is a great bike. With the cups and bushes the handling is dialled and honestly, were it not for the fact that I bought an on-one 456 hardtail which is super long in the top tube and which made me realise that my 6.6 was just too short for me - I'd never have changed it. Riding the Tracer Vp - honestly - it's no better and infact the suspension on the 6.6 is beter than the Tracer so if the length is ok for you - stick with it.

We don't have gravity enduro's over here yet (wish we did). Which one did you do and what's the format?

Cheers

mtbr member
    Jun 2004
    Yeah a load of fun. The format is 5 timed dh stages
    With 4 transition stages in between. A seeding run on the Saturday sets your start times for each of the 5 stages on the Sunday.

Uk Gravity Enduro Series. Can't say I set the world in fire but a feet great weekend of riding. One of the front runners rides a tracer and there must have been another 10 or so there. Most people running 5-6 inch bikes. About 200 riders all up I think.

Won't be long before there is a series down there!

dbug

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Any of you guys still here? Just got offset bushings for mine and I wonder why I took too long to get them! I already had a DHX COIL since the previous owner took care of ditching the DHX AIR a long time ago. Changed the XT wheelset to Hope hubs(bolt-in) laced to Flows last month as well.

The only thing remaining is to install the WorksComponents -2deg headset that I had already bought. Unfortunately, I'll have to get a new fork since i'm currently running a Van 160mm with 1.5 steerer. I'm not quite sure if i should stick with the plushness of a VAN or go for a lighter FLOAT.
    :: Titus FTM :: Santa Cruz TallboyC :: OnOne 456evo2 ::

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    I gave my old 6.6 to a friend of mine when I built up my Tracer in '09. He is still rocking it today. It was a great frame.

mtbr member
    I've just joined the 6.6 club :-) Bought a nice 2nd hand frame with 5th element coil in raw finish. Was looking through the 6.6 gallery for thoughts on a colour and the ones that stood out were the works red. It's hard to re-create the works finish so plumbed for a lovely Candy Red.
    Absolutely love this bike. Made a few changes already to get it up to top condition - new bearings etc.
    Will be installing some shiny Hope Pro 3 AM-4 wheels tomorrow on Stans Flow rims B-)
    Will pop some pics up when done...
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Who's still rockin' a 6.6 ?-6.6.jpg  

suspension whore
    mine still good - needs a major overhaul this winter, have bearings, cassette, chain, front rings and new shifter cables in box waiting some down time.
    Stan - personally I would stick with the VAN, over the float, once you get lower and slacker I dont think you will regret the extra weight up front and extra plush.... but I'm still hauling around the Marz 66 RC - 170mm up front foe what its worth.
    Intense 6.6..... Demo 9.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Matthew- thanks for the advice about the VAN. I'm just getting used to the lower and slacker geo and I beginning see what you mean about unloading the front too much.

Deesta- you'll love the flows. I've had mine for a couple of weeks. Better watch your rear-tire clearance though. With those Ardents and Flows, you might have very minimal tire clearance left in the rear triangle. Not that big an issue if you're always in dry terrain though.
    :: Titus FTM :: Santa Cruz TallboyC :: OnOne 456evo2 ::

mtbr member
    Thanks for the tip Stan I've actually got a Medusa 2.1 to put on the back for winter here in the UK.