mtbr member

Who has ridden the tracer vp and can compare to the 5.5?

So after a bad experience with a 5.5 and a 2 year hiatus from the brand, I'm glad to see that the Tracer VP is using an improved bearing system. Of those of you who have the new bike what are your thoughts on its lateral stiffness compared to the 5.5.stiffness dep't. I also understand that the pivots have been tweaked to have less effect on chain growth, offering less pedal kick back. With the model being so new an honest opinion may not be possible but I'd like to hear your impressions. If I like what I hear I might add one of these to my stable this year. Thanks,

Also if you could post your build specs and rider dimensions for the size of frame you have. At 6'1" I'd most likely fit on a large but its good to see how ya'll are building them up.
    Last edited by bikesinmud; 12-20-2008 at 11:45 AM.

Dude, got any schwag?
    Get one. My TVP is the best bike I have ever ridden. Yes, the rear tri is stiffer, a lot stiffer in fact. Never noticed any "kick-back" on my 5.5, but this new one loves to roll over everything with noticable ease. In fact, I loved my 5.5 enough that I had no plans to replace it. At least until I read about the 1.5, the gen 2 VPP, stiffer rear, better tire clearance, adjustable travel, cable guides for Joplin post, and I am a complete and utter tech weenie.
    Billy

Speed is sweet, it's like an avenue to
    ... Shredtopia!

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    I sold my 5.5 and got my Tracer about two months ago(ish). I prefer the geometry of this bike hands down, much better all rounder, low slung cockpit really helps with cornering and going down steep stuff, didn't appreciate how tall the 5.5 felt until I got this bike. Pedaling, you don't realize how much pedal feedback the 5.5 has till you ride a bike with significantly less; two travel modes are very different and better for certain aspects. New bearing system, I will probably prefer once my zerks get replaced (****). Suspension performace; much better mid stroke on the Tracer, on my 5.5 I wasn't happy with the rear end till I got the Manitou Evolver Intrinsic, the 5.5 really tended to blow through the mid stroke. I had to run 2-3 clicks of HSC to mellow it out, on my Tracer I run no HSC with the same shock and amount of sag. The only down side is, my 5.5 with the Push Link was definitely stiffer. This bike is stiff, but not super stiff. I think if the top link were thicker/had a broader brace the rear end stiffness of this bike could be easily improved. It's interesting to compare the Push Link to the Intense one piece link, the Push Link is much stouter looking and feels that way in between my legs and on the trail. Peace.