Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by orastreet View Post
    Anytime Intense brings a carbon bike to market - that means it is not built in the US. I take a lot of pride by owning two Intense bikes made in Temecula. I would buy an aluminum 275 Uzzi.
    Duplicate post
    Last edited by Nsynk; 01-14-2013 at 02:23 PM.

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    Any news on a carbon Uzzi ?

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    Do they really need one??

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by eastshorebiker View Post
    Do they really need one??
    Yes! I need one!
    Ha actually I think this is a gaping hole in the range. Enduro dh is booming, it's leading all bike sales (in Europe, I am not talking super d , it's not the same) . Most people opt for 160mm travel to reduce weight and accept that it is a compromise on the technical sections. Some of the
    sections are more suited to a full on dh bike, for example enduro races are held on fort Williams World Cup course!
    At the megavalanche about 75% are on 160mm bikes but there is a percentage on dh bikes. They want the advantage on the tech descents but suffer on the climbs. Imagine if there was a better compromise, ie a bike that weighs the same as an alu 160mm bike but with 180mm travel!

Lord of the Chain Rings
    Carbon frames put American welders out of a job. Hope the welders at Intense take some classes on laying carbon. I would buy a carbon Uzzi - or any carbon Intense for that matter. I just hate that it would change the culture there. But what do I know? I don't work there - but I did visit the factory. If you haven't - I highly recommend a tour! It was awesome!
    Uzzi

mtbr member
    I have it on reasonably good authority that your new uzzi carbon should be arriving soon. Likely with 650b wheels. Not sure if it will be called an uzzi. There were several new bikes to be release on March 17th. Only the Tracer 272c was announced. I asked the fellas at Intense where the new uzzi was and he implied that I should wait.

If its anything like the tracer, it should be a nice rig. Considering the tracer is 160mm I would put the Uzzi at 6.5 - 7" of travel. It would be really cool with the fox40 650b (reduced to 7").

Check the tracer: 2014 Intense Tracer T275 Carbon Pro ? Reviews, Comparisons, Specs ? Mountain Bikes - Vital MTB

Intense Tracer T275 Carbon: Official Weight, Tech Breakdown, and First Ride Review

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by OrilliaRider View Post
    I have it on reasonably good authority that your new uzzi carbon should be arriving soon. Likely with 650b wheels. Not sure if it will be called an uzzi. There were several new bikes to be release on March 17th. Only the Tracer 272c was announced. I asked the fellas at Intense where the new uzzi was and he implied that I should wait.

If its anything like the tracer, it should be a nice rig. Considering the tracer is 160mm I would put the Uzzi at 6.5 - 7" of travel. It would be really cool with the fox40 650b (reduced to 7").

Check the tracer: 2014 Intense Tracer T275 Carbon Pro ? Reviews, Comparisons, Specs ? Mountain Bikes - Vital MTB

Intense Tracer T275 Carbon: Official Weight, Tech Breakdown, and First Ride Review
    According to my sources there will another product release in the fall. We'll wait and see.

mtbr member
    Nov 2008
    i hope so, because i'm really disappointed with the elimination of both the uzzi and 26" options from their lineup at the moment.

Lord of the Chain Rings
    Quote Originally Posted by Nsynk View Post
    America is only a fraction of the available market and the rest of the world does not hold out much for the " made in America " tag unless it brings better quality along with it.

I would rather have the carbon German engineered version
    That may be true, but the Made In America or even Germany is better than made in China.

I recently went from 26" Uzzi to 27.5 Tracer. The differences I feel are minimal, the Tracer is just as stout but the Fox CTD Shock is the weak point.
    Uzzi

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by jstuhlman View Post
    i hope so, because i'm really disappointed with the elimination of both the uzzi and 26" options from their lineup at the moment.
    Same here.

mtbr member
    Yeah, same here. I feel the push to 27.5 is mostly marketing driven and lacking in a real performance benefit. I road a few 27.5 bikes at outerbike, and didn't feel like it was a must have.
    Live fast, Die young, Leave a good looking corpse!

Dude, got any schwag?
    I feel like there is something to 27.5, but not nearly what it's hyped up to be. Having said that, I don't feel like there are any negatives to the wheel size, so I support the change.
    Last edited by TheSchwagman; 03-23-2014 at 11:06 PM.
    Billy

Speed is sweet, it's like an avenue to
    ... Shredtopia!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by TheSchwagman View Post
    I feel like there is something to 27.5, but not nearly what it's hyped up to be. Having aid that, I don't feel like there are any negatives to the wheel size, so I support the change.
    You don't seem to be a core MTBer then (I would say newb but you have been around these parts for a while now).
    If you would be really into MTBing you would have large piles of tires sitting around as well as a bunch of nice spare wheelsets "just in case". Now tell me how to fit those on a 27.5 bike without making it a lowrider? Thinking about it though.....

Dude, got any schwag?
    Whoa! Bad form! Calling me out as a noob? I've been Mtn biking since 1987, promoted myriad races, done countless hours of trail work, lived the bike industry dream in various forms for decades... Even designed the bike I ride at Whistler. If anything I'm a washed up old retro grouch! I've lived through bull moose, bio-pace, U brake, raised stay, hite rite, suspension stems, URT, suspension beam, tension disc, gearbox, upside down, leading link, 6sp, 7sp, 8sp, 9sp, 10sp & now 11sp... I could go on.

You're holding back because you have a pile of old tires? I typically keep 2-3 sets around for each bike, not enough to cling to a specific wheel size. I've had 2 29errs & sold them, they were just no fun. I'm in no hurry, but my next bike will be a 5-6" travel 27.5. No conversions, no frankenbike, but a pure, dedicated 27.5 all mountain bike.
    Billy

... Shredtopia!

mtbr member
    Man that is impressive. Have you had a good time, or do you feel burned out and wish you were doing something else now?

I am assuming at some point in the future I will buy a 6 in travel 27.5 in wheeled bike, since there will be no other options. Or maybe I will start putting some money aside, keep my bike in new bearings and do some traveling with it. Of course it will have to be sooner then later, since I soon will not be able to get tires for my current rig.... I don't mean to hate on 27.5, but I like my current rig and hope to keep riding it for at least another two years or so.
    Live fast, Die young, Leave a good looking corpse!

Dude, got any schwag?
    26" tires will never go away (IMHO) but selection/variety could be a problem.

To answer your question, I'm as passionate and excited now as I have ever been. My son rides with me & even had his first trip to Whistler last summer. I'm not working in bikes right now, but don't count me out either.
    Billy

... Shredtopia!

mtbr member
    Whoa! Bad form! Calling me out as a noob? ....
    You clearly missed this guy:

You're holding back because you have a pile of old tires? I typically keep 2-3 sets around for each bike, not enough to cling to a specific wheel size.
    2-3 sets of tires x the number of bikes you have = a huge pile (for me at least). And don't forget the nice spare wheelsets.

And I am perfectly happy with all the bikes, so I am not planning to get rid of any. Now I am in the market for a 6-7" travel ENDURO bike (Tracer 2/Uzzi style). But there is hardly what I would call a huge selection of those out there. All 27.5. So what happened with all this "we want to give you more choices" BS from the bike companies when they introduced 27.5?

mtbr member
    Nov 2008
    stockpiling tires? crap, at the rate things are going I think I'm going to start stockpiling frames!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by jstuhlman View Post

Amen to that. I'm down with a carbon Uzzi, but keep it at 26", keep the same geometry, travel and adjustable dropouts. I love my aluminum Uzzi. It's bad ass!!! Mine is 29lbs with 7" travel, but if it was carbon and a couple pounds lighter, it would be even better. I just wish they could make it here in the USA. 27.5 is just marketing BS and there are negatives. 27.5 wheels are heavier, flexier, weaker and don't turn as good as 26" wheels. 26" wheels are lighter, stiffer, handle/turn better and with 7" of plush suspension, it rolls over obstacles just as good as a 6" 27.5.

If they make it and its the same as the aluminum one, except its carbon, I'll buy it, if they change it, (wheel size, geometry or travel) I will just keep my aluminum one.
    13 Intense Uzzi
    06 Santa Cruz Nomad
    00 Santa Cruz Bullit
    26er's for life!!!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2