mtbr member

What's up with this??

Check out how my headbadge was mounted on my 6.6. You think with a $1950 frame they could do a little better than this! Pulled it off to put it on straight, now it doesn't stick!!
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Tsuark; 11-29-2005 at 12:44 AM.

rain rain go away...
    holy crap! i'm speechless. i'm almost ashame to have bought a vpx. did we pay too little? are they smoking too much pot over there?

go to a automotive store and buy some doublesided foam. they use them for mounting bodyside moulding. 3M VHB (very high bond)... or u could use some clear silicone caulking.
    Last edited by peachy-B; 11-29-2005 at 02:37 AM.

jul
    Oh my god !!! I didn't even imagine that could happen
    .... were they drinking or what ?

mtbr member
    In my experience, its usually the bike shop that puts the headtube badge on.

Intense usually supply it in a clear packet in the box with the bike for you or the shop to fit later...

mtbr member

Might want to leave it...

Quote Originally Posted by Tsuark
    Check out how my headbadge was mounted on my 6.6. You think with a $1950 frame they could do a little better than this! Pulled it off to put it on straight, now it doesn't stick!!
    I'm thinking its looking like a great protection against frame rub in that position with your rear brake line... :-)

Penny's my cow-cat

Good job! Looks good to me!

I like it that way! In fact, I'm going downstairs right now and move it to the side.
    Penny has the fastest Paw in the west!

jul
    Quote Originally Posted by Cowboy-jeff
    I like it that way! In fact, I'm going downstairs right now and move it to the side.
    lol , yeah and start a trend

Neg reppers r my biatches
    Quote Originally Posted by esquire
    I'm thinking its looking like a great protection against frame rub in that position with your rear brake line... :-)
    what words of wisdom....so I guess you are saying it is sort of like a "feature" then....

Penny's my cow-cat

Smile Oh yeah!

Quote Originally Posted by julmug2
    lol , yeah and start a trend
    Yeah, and for starting that trend I should get a free 6.6 Black Medium please!
    Hey julmug2 my neighbor, is it raining like Cats and Dogs on your end of town?
    Penny has the fastest Paw in the west!

jul
    Quote Originally Posted by Cowboy-jeff
    Yeah, and for starting that trend I should get a free 6.6 Black Medium please!
    Hey julmug2 my neighbor, is it raining like Cats and Dogs on your end of town?

well not at all , are you sure we're in the same town ?

mtbr member
    Aug 2004
    My former 5.5 came like that. Well, not exactly like that, but if was off centered too. LBS workers had a good laugh when they saw it for the first time. After a while, they fall off any way...

Now with flavor!!
    Haha. My uzzi came exactly like that. It was straight from intense so it wasn't a bike shop thing.

It involved a lengthy and involved process to fix. I used something known as "fingernails" and engaged in a process known to few as "picking it off" and then after some research, learned of a technique termed "sticking in back on in the right place". I wouldn't reccomend it to just anyone, so you may want to have your lbs look at it.

If it doens't stick, grab some glue.

Neg reppers r my biatches
    shame it is held on by glue....i actually did not realize that. i just put a headbadge on my bike (not an Intense) and while it was more of a pain to put on, i like the screws on there.

mtbr member
    I can't imagine that coming out of the factory like that, what I have seen happen is the head badge get pushed off center by the carboard headtube retainer in the shipping box.
    In most cases the LBS will catch this and set it straight or get a new one from Intense.
    The badge should be stuck on using a heat gun (hair dryer) to assure a good bond.
    I am sorry your frame came this way, give us a call and we will get a new one sent out ASAP.Hope this helps

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Transition J

Intense usually supply it in a clear packet in the box with the bike for you or the shop to fit later...
    Actually unless you request new stickers and a headbadge that's the only reason to do it yourself. We have a warehouse full of intense frames, none have been done that way so far.eric@competitivecyclist.com

Now with flavor!!
    Quote Originally Posted by mr intense
    I can't imagine that coming out of the factory like that, what I have seen happen is the head badge get pushed off center by the carboard headtube retainer in the shipping box.

Yeah I'm sure that's all that's all that happened with mine. No biggie. It was more funny than anything.

Kudos on the box designs by the way. The suspended frame thingy was very helpful in shipping out the frame my uzzi replaced.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by tmoney
    Actually unless you request new stickers and a headbadge that's the only reason to do it yourself. We have a warehouse full of intense frames, none have been done that way so far.eric@competitivecyclist.com
    I didn't realise this was a competition but OK that's fair enough, but it's weird how 2 out of 3 of my own Intense frames have come with the head badge loose in a bag with the peel off paper still intact.

mtbr member
    Wrong! This is a special edition. A $500.00 upgrade!

mtbr member
    Jul 2004

no wonder

well no wonder mine just came off after a couple of rides. since i got my frame at Stupid Go (super go).

mtbr member

Or

That top tube and downtube MAY be welded to the wrong side of the headtube ....
    Everybody dies, but not everyone lives

Meh.
    Quote Originally Posted by mtnbikerx
    Decals, badges, and paint are applied after welding.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by XSL_WiLL
    Decals, badges, and paint are applied after welding.

HUH?

You sure?

Just on Intense or on every bike?

rain rain go away...
    Quote Originally Posted by mtnbikerx
    yeah i think this is the case. it's a good we have you here to find this out. so it's the whole frame short of the headtube that's in the wrong spot. augh!

mtbr member
    Nov 2005

it still didn't stop you from building the bike up, did it? it wouldn't have stopped me either but damn, that's funny.

Bike Hoor
    LMAO at X... nice.
    Pedalling the goods since 2002.
    http://www.boutiquebikes.com

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Innocent Bystander
    LMAO at X... nice.

Waves, nods to the crowd.

mtbr member

Dude!!!

Whats that shiney thing on the left side of that pic??? Bling Bling!

mtbr member
    Did you get another 6point6 ?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by scottay
    Did you get another 6point6 ?
    No, it is the same one.

mtbr member
    Apr 2005

Hope Hello??

In most cases the LBS will catch this and set it straight or get a new one from Intense.
    The badge should be stuck on using a heat gun (hair dryer) to assure a good bond.
    I am sorry your frame came this way, give us a call and we will get a new one sent out ASAP.Hope this helps

Mmmm.. Don't mean to be rude, just…..Who are you? Are you for real? What's with the mr intense thing? Where is the original n10'sGuy? Help!

mtbr member

Kind of sad to me

I have been shopping a new high end bike the last few weeks & have looked at in person the:
    Nomad
    6-pack
    and a couple of the big guys bikes, and I am amazed how the first 3 guys get away w/ some of the shoddy crap once the bike is welded/painted. Its been beat to death here, but the intense stickers in person look like they get them out of that little machine in Wal-mart entrance-you know you put like 3 quarters side by side & get random stickers like "PIMP" or "Angel". Totally crap. I was embarrased for Intense...
    The SC aren't much better, but they are better.
    I was holding the Turner frame, and that headtube badge was almost falling off. Now, the rest of all of these frames/finsh was absolutely amazing, but still. I know if 3M can make those sticker things to hang my 10# Xmas wreath on my dirty front door....
    These mfgr have to get real. Specialized is lazer etching graphics on their frames for Christssake.
    I know some people want to de-badge their bikes, but i cant imagine thats why these other guys use these Fastsigns stickers...For nearly $2g, this has to change IMO.
    Maybe I'm being unreasonable too, but when you pay this kinda dough for a frame (or $4g for complete bike), EVERY detail down to the stickers should be taken care of
    A)by the mfg prior to leaving
    B) again by LBS whose future depends on people buying 4 freaking grand bikes.
    Rant over.

Jdub
    Last edited by Biker75; 12-03-2005 at 01:10 AM.
    Beer has food value. Food has no beer value.

rain rain go away...
    what i'm wondering about is are they making so little money on these frames that they have to sacrifice all those or are they just maximizing their profit?

Bike Hoor
    Wow, I don't mean to be rude, or sound like a homer, but even though I understand the frustration of wanting every single detail PERFECT on your $3500 (or more) bike, I also see the manufacturer's side here as well.

The Intense decals may looks stouter/thicker than those of other companies, but I have yet to see one peel off without ALOT of coaxing. One of the "Heckler" decals on my son's Heckler came off by itself after a few washings. The Intense decal also is a great finish protector. They take a good beating. That may be the idea behind a decal that thick.

The headtube badge.. I understand that. It should have been taken care of at the dealer. Intense would send a new one if requested. I doubt there is a HUGE savings on the type of adhesive used, so it may just be a case of looking at something different for the application. I have seen riveted ones, but to me, drilling holes in the headtube to attach a badge seems a bit overkill to me, and probably more costly. They also seem to come loose after a bit and start to rattle.
    Pedalling the goods since 2002.
    http://www.boutiquebikes.com

mtbr member
    So the head tube badge was wonky, well perhaps not enough pressure was applied in the first place and it moved in the box, it's not a huge enough problem to make you forget that you are riding an Intense is it?

It's the same with the seat tube issue, ream it, get on your bike ride it and forget all about any of the nasty teething troubles...

Just my 2 pence worth!

rain rain go away...
    I like my bike perfect... or as close to it as possible, especially when new. i guess some of us don't mind fixing this and that right after, but i'm not one of them especially after I drop more cash than usual to get that Intense frame.

badge: 3M VHB industrial doublesided foam adhesive... don't require heat to set and will not move while in the box.

reaming: would it kill them to go even deeper as per some customer's request especially since they have been selling that feature on their bikes.

if i own intense and i know this forum i sure would wanna know how my products are holding up. if this was your company would u not ream it deeper, add a step to QC chklist (if they have one) for checking the badge or frame alignment? if not... why not?

we all love our bikes (and intense) that's why it sucks when they release something like that. if this was Giant i wouldn't care at all. wish Honda would get into the biking industry... not just racing super limited frames.
    Last edited by peachy-B; 12-03-2005 at 01:40 PM.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by peachy-B
    I like my bike perfect... or as close to it as possible, especially when new. i guess some of us don't mind fixing this and that right after, but i'm not one of them especially after I drop more cash than usual to get that Intense frame.

badge: 3M VHB industrial doublesided foam adhesive... don't require heat to set and will not move while in the box.

reaming: would it kill them to go even deeper as per some customer's request especially since they have been selling that feature on their bikes.

if i own intense and i know this forum i sure would wanna know how my products are holding up. if this was your company would u not ream it deeper, add a step to QC chklist (if they have one) for checking the badge or frame alignment? if not... why not?

we all love our bikes (and intense) that's why it sucks when they release something like that. if this was Giant i wouldn't care at all. wish Honda would get into the biking industry... not just racing super limited frames.

Peachy-B

Well said!!

mtbr member

For argument's sake....

Peachy, you know I respect you, but for argument's sake, lets toss something out there. If Thomson came out with a 510 mm post (for whatever reason), would you expect a manufacturer to be sure that it went ALL the way down? How about 610? 700? Some bikes in this area (rugged trail, freeride, light dh), can't handle much more than 200mm of post, and we expect the Uzzi to take an entire 410mm of post? When I recently took a 410 mm 31.6 Thomson post out of its sleeve, my first thought was "look at the size of this thing, and my second was to hide it from my wife. I've got enough competition with bananas, I don't need more from a beautiful post like a Thomson.

An Uzzi frame is not Jenna Jameson, my friends.

mtbr member
    Brian you are so right, whilst at the same time being so so so wrong!

LOL

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by copello
    Mmmm.. Don't mean to be rude, just…..Who are you? Are you for real? What's with the mr intense thing? Where is the original n10'sGuy? Help!
    Yes I am the real deal!! n10's Guy is my partner @ Intense, I started Intense 15 years ago in my garage. I hate seeing this sort of thing make it out of the factory so I was tying to help the original poster out. I haven't been posting on this site but I do check it out as we can learn alot about our product in the real world here.

mtbr member
    Yes I am the real deal!! n10's Guy is my partner @ Intense, I started Intense 15 years ago in my garage. I hate seeing this sort of thing make it out of the factory so I was tying to help the original poster out. I haven't been posting on this site but I do check it out as we can learn alot about our product in the real world here.
    Hi Jeff, nice to see you here!

I have loved all my Intenses and I'm currently enjoying an Uzzi VPX and a Tracer - good work!

mtbr member

Ya, right...

Brian you are so right, whilst at the same time being so so so wrong!

LOL
    What are you talking about??? I don't see anything that is inaccurate at all...

I really think we are talking a friction issue here, not a slag problem, or a post diameter problem, etc. If you think about it, the tighter the tollerance of a given metal to metal interaction, the more friction that is caused, and the more surface area that has to connect, the more difficult it would be to overcome that friction force. I'm not saying that the Thomson posts are inaccurately spec'd, even though I have found some that were (no more than others, really). My point is with the little ridges that the thomson post has because of their machining process, might be causing a greater amount of friction with the post tube. At 367-410mm, thats a lot of metal to metal contact area. If it weren't a freeride bike, needing a lowering of the post, it wouldn't even be noticed.
    Last edited by esquire; 12-05-2005 at 11:27 AM.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by esquire
    What are you talking about??? I don't see anything that is inaccurate at all...

I really think we are talking a friction issue here, not a slag problem, or a post diameter problem, etc. If you think about it, the tighter the tollerance of a given metal to metal interaction, the more friction that is caused, and the more surface area that has to connect, the more difficult it would be to overcome that friction force. I'm not saying that the Thomson posts are inaccurately spec'd, even though I have found some that were (no more than others, really). My point is with the little ridges that the thomson post has because of their machining process, might be causing a greater amount of friction with the post tube. At 367-410mm, thats a lot of metal to metal contact area. If it weren't a freeride bike, needing a lowering of the post, it wouldn't even be noticed.
    No you've got the wrong end of the stick, or post as it were!

I agree completely about the seat post issues, I just meant you were being wrong when saying that stuff about having to hide the post from your wife!

I think I'll go back to bed it's been one of those days.

rain rain go away...
    ESQ. i don't think it's hard to figure out how long u have to ream the frame. find the 90 percentile number of the users for the particular frame size and u'll know how somewhat the highest point at which they will set their saddle.... so now u will also know the seatpost length they will need. now u know that when they do DH that saddle will need to clear so it will be lower.... that would be the reaming lowest point and a bit more.

i have a small frame.... coz i'm small (makes sense?) so i won't buy a 410mm seatpost and expect it to drop all the way down...heck that may even hit the BB. i would cut that down or buy the proper length 265mm for my case and i still went and cut it. but if memory serves me right (and it may not) Intense is reaming it like 6"? just past the toptube junction for the MED? so ESQ, as much as i respect u as well, i have to disagree.

mtbr member
    Maybe you need to "lube" your "post" if its too dry in there? lol

Oh yeah, dont they make without ridges still?

Nevermind, thats "ribs"...for her pleasure.
    Last edited by scottay; 12-05-2005 at 12:11 PM.

mtbr member

Um....

ESQ. i don't think it's hard to figure out how long u have to ream the frame. find the 90 percentile number of the users for the particular frame size and u'll know how somewhat the highest point at which they will set their saddle.... so now u will also know the seatpost length they will need. now u know that when they do DH that saddle will need to clear so it will be lower.... that would be the reaming lowest point and a bit more.

i have a small frame.... coz i'm small (makes sense?) so i won't buy a 410mm seatpost and expect it to drop all the way down...heck that may even hit the BB. i would cut that down or buy the proper length 265mm for my case and i still went and cut it. but if memory serves me right (and it may not) Intense is reaming it like 6"? just past the toptube junction for the MED? so ESQ, as much as i respect u as well, i have to disagree.
    7", according to Marv.

You have problems with your seatpost insertion, on a small with a 265mm post?

rain rain go away...
    esq,

i do not have problems on mine... thankfully. update: mine is 31.6 x 287mm and uncut. got confused w/ my Bullit which i had to cut due to the interrupted seat tube.

7" for all their frames according to n10s. FOR ALL? should go deeper if they are going to generalize. set the deepest for the large and do it for all the frames. he posted that there's no problem w/ going deeper. so why not and satisfy some who needs 'em deeper than 7. (he3)

Members who have read this thread: 0