mtbr member
    Dec 2004

What spring weight do you M9 owners use?

I'm about 210 (give or take a pound) + gear. I have a medium M9 and according to the factory manual, I'm supposed to be using a 450 spring for my Fox shock. I know Cane Creek DB users are supposed to go one spring rate down.

That's all fine and dandy on paper. What do you guys use in the real world?

(I'm curious because given my weight, I've been using a 400 and I haven't bottomed - as far as I know. A 450 feels much stiffer although I don't have any trail time with it yet).
    -2000 Giant DH Team
    -2003 Balfa BB7
    -2004 Nicolai Nuclean ST
    *DH riding hiatus*
    -2011 Intense M9

Living Ghetto Fabulous!
    What shock are you running?

It all depends on sag. If you're getting 33% it's pretty dialed. I'm probably just under your weight and I've ran a 450 on a CCDB and AVY tuned RC4. I could maybe do a 400, but I don't want my BB height excessively low.

By the way, I highly recommend checking out the Avalanche Advantage for your Fox. My bike came alive with their tricks. Craig will explain everything about what he does, and will ask you all the important questions to build a shock that works how you want it to. Can't recommend it enough!
    Quote Originally Posted by kidwoo
    The internet sounds like a tough place to ride.

mtbr member
    I'm about 180 lbs fully loaded and ride a 400 pound spring on the CCDB. Sag seems right on the mark and it rides like a dream.

mtbr member
    Dec 2004
    Uncle Cliffy, yup... already there: My Fox shock was tuned by Craig and I have that extended reservoir. Amazing.

I have to get out of the habit of running soft springs and measure sag a little more carefully. I'll give a 450 a good run and see what happens. Although with a 400 spring, I didn't feel like I was any where near to bottoming out.
    -2000 Giant DH Team
    -2003 Balfa BB7
    -2004 Nicolai Nuclean ST
    *DH riding hiatus*
    -2011 Intense M9

Living Ghetto Fabulous!
    Quote Originally Posted by Christopher Robin View Post
    Uncle Cliffy, yup... already there: My Fox shock was tuned by Craig and I have that extended reservoir. Amazing.

I have to get out of the habit of running soft springs and measure sag a little more carefully. I'll give a 450 a good run and see what happens. Although with a 400 spring, I didn't feel like I was any where near to bottoming out.
    I remember Craig was very specific about tuning my rebound around the spring I planned on running. Might confirm with him before you change rates...
    Quote Originally Posted by kidwoo
    The internet sounds like a tough place to ride.

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    Just scored a M9 frame to replace my 951... going to go with a CCDB Air instead of coil... will also have the XV air can for additional tuning possibilities.. this should be fun.

mtbr member
    Dec 2004
    I had told Craig that I was going to use a 450 spring, as per Intense's recommended spring weights. I had put on a 400 spring on the tuned shock just for the hell of it, and it felt great to the point where I didn't feel like I needed to go stiffer. Although since he 'did' tune it to a 450 (and Intense recommends a 450), I put one on just recently. I'll double check the sag.

From the sounds of it, people are running the springs that Intense recommends.
    -2000 Giant DH Team
    -2003 Balfa BB7
    -2004 Nicolai Nuclean ST
    *DH riding hiatus*
    -2011 Intense M9