mtbr member
    Jan 2012

What size Carbine are you riding?

Hello all. I am trying to get a consensus of how tall some of you are and what size Carbine you are riding. I am 5'11 with a 32" inseam and I am riding a medium. Although it feels good, I fear that it is theoretically too small (if that makes sense).

I fix your broken ****!
    6'1- Large frame

If the medium feels good for you then you should be fine. Dont think into it too hard and confuse yourself when you're perfectly happy with what you have...

Dude, got any schwag?
    Don't think you'd like a bigger frame. Too big of frame and you lose playfulness and flickability.
    Billy

Speed is sweet, it's like an avenue to
    ... Shredtopia!

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    5' 10" riding a medium

mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    5'11" 32 inseam and Large with a short stem

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    Are you happy on the large Eastern?

mtbr member
    Jan 2010
    5'11" 32" inseam...medium carbine 275...might be able to fit a large but very happy with the medium.

mtbr member
    Oct 2011
    Eastern, I'm real close to 5'11" with a 32" inseam. Trying to decide on Medium or Large. Can you elaborate on your comment about the short stem? Does the short stem compensate for the longer top tube or reach or whatever?

Just trying to get the right size. Rode two Scott Genius 275s, (730 and 710) both medium and they seemed to put me too far over the head tube for comfort. Prefer the VPP suspension, but haven't had a chance to ride a Carbine, which is what I really want.

ride
    I'm 5'11 as well. I've ridden Intense mediums and larges and have been MUCH more comfortable on larges. Last Carbine I had was a large 31" bars and a 70mm stem (I have monkey arms). Felt great.
    Redstone Cyclery
    turner*intense*transition*REEB*Rocky Mt
    web - tweet - FB
    Lyons, CO

Paper or plastic?
    FWIW, I'm 5'7", ride a Medium with a 70mm stem.
    Faster is not always better, but it's always more fun

mtbr member
    Maybe the intense guys can answer this. I am 5'10" and have a medium. When I was riding it as a 26er, I thought I would like a large. Now that it is 27.5 it feels like a bigger bike and more comfortable, even though I know the TT etc haven't changed.

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    OP: I am 5'11" and have owned twelve intense frames in the last six years (I know, I have a disease.) Being a DHer at heart I typically prefer a smaller bike; all of my DH bikes have been mediums. I was on a medium Tracer 2 before switching to a medium carbine 26". The carbine felt smaller in the cockpit vs the T2. On a side note my old medium nomad 2 was even smaller than my carbine and always felt crapped for my taste. I NEVER run larger than a 50mm stem on any of my bikes , with that being said I decided to sell my medium carbine and get a large carbine. When I first built up the large frame I ran a 35mm stem and the cockpit felt almost identical to the medium. The only difference is you could feel the additional wheelbase of the large. The 35mm stem felt twitchy so I decided to run a 50mm stem. Overall apart of me wants to go back to the medium frame. The medium is more lively but the trade off is you loose high speed stability due to the shorter wheel base.
    Last edited by Dwdrums00; 04-16-2013 at 02:24 PM.

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    I am 6.1 and both of my intense bikes are large (carbine and uzzi) I did try medium frame and my knees where hitting the bars

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Dwdrums00 View Post
    OP: I am 5'11" and have owned twelve intense frames in the last six years (I know, I have a disease.) Being a DHer at heart I typically prefer a smaller bike; all of my DH bikes have been mediums. I was on a medium Tracer 2 before switching to a medium carbine 26". The carbine felt smaller in the cockpit vs the T2. On a side note my old medium nomad 2 was even smaller than my carbine and always felt crapped for my taste. I NEVER run larger than a 50mm stem on any of my bikes , with that being said I decided to sell my medium carbine and get a large carbine. When I first built up the large frame I ran a 35mm stem and the cockpit felt almost identical to the medium. The only difference is you could feel the additional wheelbase of the large. The 35mm stem felt twitchy so I decided to run a 50mm stem. Overall apart of me wants to go back to the medium frame. The medium is more lively but the trade off is you loose high speed stability due to the shorter wheel base.
    I am a trail rider at heart, but love to dh as well. I'm 6'1.5" 34 inseam and I very long arms. My carbine 27.5 is a large 50mm stem and 30" bars and love it. It feels very close to my T2, maybe a little taller, not much thou.

My M9 is a med 45mm stem 32in bars

My large nomads felt to short with a 50mm stem, great on the dh and jumping but just to tight every where else

mtbr member
    [QUOTE=sistm;10311417]Hello all. I am trying to get a consensus of how tall some of you are and what size Carbine you are riding. I am 5'11 with a 32" inseam and I am riding a medium. Although it feels good, I fear that it is theoretically too small (if that makes sense).[/

what size stem are you using?
    If your bike feels a little to short, try wider bars or longer stem
    have you tried a SC nomad? Their large is in between a intense med-large

mtbr member
    So for someone who is 5'9-5'10 Medium is pretty much the ideal size for the carbine? I tested a Tracer 275 in M and it fits good but I heard the Carbine 275 runs smaller... Hmmmm...

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by pgFA View Post
    So for someone who is 5'9-5'10 Medium is pretty much the ideal size for the carbine? I tested a Tracer 275 in M and it fits good but I heard the Carbine 275 runs smaller... Hmmmm...
    I'm 5'10" with a 33" inseam and just ordered a large. Could have made the medium work but large just felt better to me. I'd rather go with a little shorter stem than need a longer stem and have to jack the seat up high.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by ScubaM View Post
    I'm 5'10" with a 33" inseam and just ordered a large. Could have made the medium work but large just felt better to me. I'd rather go with a little shorter stem than need a longer stem and have to jack the seat up high.
    I'll probably end up with a medium... I was able to try out a medium 275 and it fits good with a 50mm stem and I believe the handle bar was 750mm. Glad the shop knows someone with one and ask the guy to come over the shop so I can test it. Im 5'9-5'10 so maybe you are on the higher end of 5'10 LOL

mtbr member
    5'8" longer torso, medium with 70mm stem is a bit shorter than I like for Enduro racing. 23.5 is the magic ETT length for me. The Medium Carbine is 23.0. I don't like running longer than a 75mm stem, so I'm stuck with it being a bit short.
    Scott @ GO-RIDE.com
    Turner DHR
    Pivot Mach 6
    Giant Anthem 27.5
    Salsa Bear Grease C
    Lil Shredder 20" - son's

BarBanger
    Feb 2008
    Large. I'm 6'1" with avg arm and leg length.