mtbr member
    Jan 2004

What shock are you running on your 5.5?

Mine came with a Manitou 4-way and I was happy with it. But it broke beyond repair.

I'm just weighing my options.

Not sure if I want another 4 way
    RP23 seems to be prime choice but it's expensive and gets bad reviews on durability

The manitou cracked on the outside of the upper eyelet. I've never jumped anything more than about 18 inches, and don't ride very hard. I guess it's just "one of those things". I probably rode on it for a while and never knew, I took it off due to leakage and that is when I discovered it. It is two years old, so I'm not even going to ask for a warrantee...
    I hear and I forget. I see and I remember. I do and I understand. -- Confucius

ixi
    mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    I had a few years on both the 4way and the rp23. Both were great but decided to try Fox Van-R Coil. I am so much happier with a coil. I mostly impressed with it going up hill. The rear tire just sticks to the ground so much better. Much better small bump performance. I never miss the platform dampening at all.

My Fox rp23 went bad on me in the middle of a big bike trip and just don't trust an air shock anymore. Not much can go wrong with a coil. The Van-R is only $250 new.