rain rain go away...

VPX Pivot Bearings

Just found out that my lower pivot bearings are kinda toasted already (less than 4 mons of riding). I had some play on it so I tighten it a bit but since i was already working on it I went and opened it up... duh! the grease are all dried up. I guess water got in there. I tried not to spray directly in there when i wash it but... what can u do. I wish the sealing on those bearings are better designed.

Anyways, what's the best way of getting these bearings replaced? Directly from Intense? Sourcing on your own? What type are they? Easy to pop in and out? special tools?

i was checking out the santa cruz website for instructions for the vp-free. they have one. why can't Intense have one for us as well.

mtbr member
    Sep 2004
    lower pivot bearings are kinda toasted lack of grease does not mean bearings are toast, a re-grease brings alot of bearings back Directly from Intense? yes, available direct, if you wish to purchase elsewhere please contact intense for proper bearing number for enduro max why can't Intense have one for us as well. We do but its printed, not web based.

rain rain go away...
    i did regrease them up... but it's still notchy. is that ok? i realize that they don't really rotate that much.

Ready for a ride.

Smile Please read

Mr. Peachy-B
    Have you read this? http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.ph...05991#poststop
    Also it is much help if you can use the search function as well.

rain rain go away...
    ha3... i just actually remembered that and was about to visit it when i noticed your posting. thanks.

i should probably open up the remaining upper main pivot.

Ready for a ride.

Wink

My pleasure Mr. Peachy-B.
    Strap in, it's about to get bumpy

rain rain go away...
    hmmm. i think i really do need to change my lower bearings soon. will find out what the size is and post it here.

Now with flavor!!
    Quote Originally Posted by peachy-B
    hmmm. i think i really do need to change my lower bearings soon. will find out what the size is and post it here.
    Step 1) remove bearings

Step 2) read number on seal

If they're enduro max, they should be legible.

rain rain go away...
    Funny. yes i know but i'm actually more concern of the lower pivots and if i remove the bolt the washers (crush tubes?) will fall off and that's a real pain to put back in.

Enduro Max 6001 - 12 x 28 x 8 MM

http://www.enduroforkseals.com/id66.html
    Last edited by peachy-B; 12-04-2005 at 11:17 PM.

mtbr member
    I truly baffled by people continuing to misundrstand this bearing issue. This "problem" has been rehashed sooo many times and N10's guy has even written a crystal clear thread that has been made a sticky.

If your swingarm will move freely and has no lateral play then your bearings are fine! The notchiness you feel at the bearing will not affect the performance whatsoever. The additional friction you feel at the bearing is easily overcome (many times over) by the leverage of the swingarm.

Go out to your car, pull the tranny, pop the flywheel off, grab the crankshaft and try to give it a whirl. You won't budge it. Does mean your car needs new main bearings?

rain rain go away...
    gokart... did u read the whole thread? look at the date. my very first one was dated a few months back and ingrid reminded me of n10's bearing posting which i caught at the same time as her posting. now a few months later i'm posting that i think i REALLY need new bearings. you're not telling me that i don't... are you? 'coz i dnt think anyone have look'd at my bike but me.
    Last edited by peachy-B; 12-05-2005 at 12:27 PM.

rain rain go away...
    i also notice'd that the VP-free uses DUAL-ROW ANGULAR CONTACT for their bearings. anyone knows why ours is not. it's my impression that they are stronger and better at dealing w/ lateral forces. am i wrong? i wonder if we can get these type for our frame.

my friend's vp-free bearings are still nice and tight and the bike is not even maintained and babied as well as mine.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by peachy-B
    gokart... did u read the whole thread? look at the date. my very first one was dated a few months back and ingrid reminded me of n10's bearing posting which i caught at the same time as her posting. now a few months later i'm posting that i think i REALLY need new bearings. you're not telling me that i don't... are you? 'coz i dnt think anyone have look'd at my bike but me.
    Ouch. No I didn't look at the date and I owe you an apology. Sorry.

rain rain go away...
    NP. it's all good.