mtbr member
    Feb 2004

Vanilla 125RLC on 5.5 or not

Anyone here using Fox Vanilla 125RLC on their 5.5? I would like to hear your feedback good or bad. Also, why you'd choose Vanilla 125RLC than others? And for those who doesn't have the Vanilla on their 5.5. What don't you like about the Vanilla fork?

Thanks in advance
    2wheeler

mtbr member

Weight does matter!

Quote Originally Posted by 2wheeler
    Anyone here using Fox Vanilla 125RLC on their 5.5? I would like to hear your feedback good or bad. Also, why you'd choose Vanilla 125RLC than others? And for those who doesn't have the Vanilla on their 5.5. What don't you like about the Vanilla fork?

Thanks in advance
    2wheeler
    i've just had a look on both Fox and Manitou sites:

Vanilla 125RLC weighs 4.24lbs.
    Minute 2:00 (130mm.) weighs 3.6lbs

Quite a difference! One could always argue that the weight really doesn't make much difference, but where do you draw the line. There is another thread here discussing the merits of a coil rear shock. So where do you draw the line? It all adds up.
    As a XC/trail rider I personally have never really considered a coil fork. The Vanilla has a reputation as a great riding fork. Quite a few postings that I have read state that the feel of the TALAS and Minute air forks get close to coils.
    Also when I was putting my 5point 5 together, I called Intense to ask a question about the front deraileur. The tech. guy was quite chatty and asked me what fork I was going to use. At the time I was convinced I was going to use a TALAS RLC. He commented that it is on the limit for the 5point5. Remember that 5.5inch rear travel is 140mm. The TALAS and Vanilla are only 125mm.
    Ronnie.

mtbr member
    For 2005 fox forx, both Vanilla, Talas and Float will have 130mm travel options. Talked to their European Sales Manager down in Riva, Italy, and he said they would start production in late june/early july. Other changes are an aluminum damper shaft, smaler diameter damper and new outer legs, witch can be run with 8" rotors. All forx will be aproximatly 60-100g lighter, depending on modell (If I remember correctly). The claimed weight of the new 130mm Vanilla RLC is 1850g or so. Not bad at all if you ask me.
    All forx also get new decals and the colors are somewhat new - veeery nice indeed!! .

Sveinung
    www.terrengsykkel.no
    www.terrengsykkel.no

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by sveinub
    For 2005 fox forx, both Vanilla, Talas and Float will have 130mm travel options. Talked to their European Sales Manager down in Riva, Italy, and he said they would start production in late june/early july. Other changes are an aluminum damper shaft, smaler diameter damper and new outer legs, witch can be run with 8" rotors. All forx will be aproximatly 60-100g lighter, depending on modell (If I remember correctly). The claimed weight of the new 130mm Vanilla RLC is 1850g or so. Not bad at all if you ask me.
    All forx also get new decals and the colors are somewhat new - veeery nice indeed!! .

Sveinung
    www.terrengsykkel.no
    Any mention of a long travel stable platform fork? In other words a F130X or somthing like it. If you are correct why doesn't Fox Racing say anything about it. Manitou have openly shown their Nixon fork.

mtbr member
    Fox didn´t seem to have a long travel stable platform fork planed for next year. At least they didn´t show it. The bike festival in Riva del Garda (always in end of april/early may) is usualy the place where new products is first reveled (at least in Europe), and is open to both press and public. There where some testbikes around that did sport the new forx and rear shocks but unfortunately I didn´t get to try any. The good thing is that a float 130mm or Talas and a RP3 rear shock is headed our way (www.terrengsykkel.no) as soon as the final production versions are done. They will be tested against Manitous offerings and DTswiss´ new stable platform damper. I will keep you updated. The test sleed is of course a 5.5.

Sveinung

Quote Originally Posted by Ronnie
    Any mention of a long travel stable platform fork? In other words a F130X or somthing like it. If you are correct why doesn't Fox Racing say anything about it. Manitou have openly shown their Nixon fork.
    www.terrengsykkel.no

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    I just built a 5.5 with a vanilla r. I admit the reason I bought the vanilla was due to financial reasons, I did however check out the reviews and it was very well reviewed. I only have 1 8 mile ride on the bike, the first half of the ride was alot of tinkering and getting use to. On the back side it seemed fine, at this point the bike seemed to clinb very well with the fork and it is very plush. I am trying to get out 2x this weekend and next week I'm going to West Virginia and really put it through it's paces. I'll post again after that.

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    just thought I should chime in early. Went for a 17 mile ride today so I have a better picture of the forks performance. If you already have this fork...keep it. It is so plush and smooth, tracks nice and feels great on rough climbs. Of all the things I didn't clean today, It for sure wasn't the frok that stopped me. I run my shock with 'kinda a low spv pressure (70psi) the bike rides on the plush side, if you want a really stiff feel from your bike then maybe you want Minute? As for me, today I cleaned about 4 or 5 sections that I rarley or never have cleared before, and this was my second ride on the bike! Hope that helped.

Black Lion
    Quote Originally Posted by 2wheeler

Thanks in advance
    2wheeler
    I can't comment on how the fork will work on a 5.5. But the Vanilla fork is bada$$. Very smooth and crazy stiff tracking and braking. Do have some drawbacks. Some forks ccreak and rattle and or leak. While others work like a charm.
    Minute forks are equally as good in my opinion. Not quite as smooth initially, but the same almost everywhere else. The Minute outshines the Fox in overall ride. You can set the Minute up to be very plush on medium to big hits, resistant to bottoming on the biggest of hits, all the while not wallowing in it's travel while riding. Hard to beat.
    Voltron

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    Just returned from my WVa trip and wanted to update you on the vanilla....like I said earlier if you already have this fork ride it, it ROCKS! I handled every situation that was thrown at it, steep technical climbs, steep dowhills, fireroad climbs and everything in between, it a great fork, ride it!