Page 5 of 32 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 15 ... LastLast
    rain rain go away...
    ^ xen.

mtbr member
    May 2009

Finally got my machine built up!

Been about a four month wait. Got a couple runs in this evening. Still needs a bit of tweaking, but I think she's gunna be sweet ride. Even before I get her all dialed, pretty amazing coming down my neighborhood downhill/free-ride course. Need to dial in the DB for maximum efficiency on the uphill.
    Attached Images Attached Images

A crunchy treat
    Feb 2008
    Bikeradar have a review up: http://www.bikeradar.com/gear/catego.../uzzi-vp-35110

Would you Uzzi riders say it was accurate?

Eating Hot Pockets
    Quote Originally Posted by Gato
    Been about a four month wait. Got a couple runs in this evening. Still needs a bit of tweaking, but I think she's gunna be sweet ride. Even before I get her all dialed, pretty amazing coming down my neighborhood downhill/free-ride course. Need to dial in the DB for maximum efficiency on the uphill.
    oh man that's a beauty!
    what's it weigh?
    is that a medium?

mtbr member
    Anyone got a copper one of these yet that they want to share some pictures of?

mtbr member
    May 2009
    It's a large, just under 39 lbs. Pretty much a Free-Ride rig, but I'll be spinning it uphill too.

mtbr member
    Aug 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by lardy
    Crash Bang

I have built up my Uzzi for trail riding (see blue frame with pink/white components above) and it is 2 lbs lighter than the 03 bullit I had been using with only 0.5inch more travel. I ride Afan regularly and based upon my use of the Uzzi so far (I have not had it down to Afan yet) I would have no problems riding this on whites or doing the whole skyline route. I'm 6'4" and weigh in at about 220 lbs and so I'm running an large. Main thing is that it climbs very well and can certainly handle any kind of decending. I'd go with the Uzzi - any extra weight will just make you fitter
    Lardy,

Thanks for the info, have you had the Uzzi at Afan yet? How did it perform?

Does the bike feel heavy on single track when you need to pedal? Does it flow or bog down?

And where did you purchase your Uzzi from?

Any and all help appreciated

Thanks

A crunchy treat
    Feb 2008
    Hey Crash Bang, I just got back from a trip up North where I rode the Uzzi and a Tracer in Keilder Forest. The Tracer was a pretty XC setup, Fox 32s, skinny tyres and air shock. The Uzzi was set up with DHX 4, RS Totems and 2.4" Mountain Kings.

I started on the Tracer, as the trail starts uphill, it was pretty squirrelly because of the skinny tyres and the 32s where slightly over pressurised making the ride very jarry, not what I'm used to, even on my HT. It did feel light, and it was good at climbing, but I wasn't a fan of the over-all set up.

I did a few bits of down on the Tracer and it didn't inspire much confidence set up as it was, it really needed slackening on the front by a degree or so.

When we got to the top, I switched onto the Uzzi. I immediately felt like I was on a bike that could take me downhill faster. There was a little bit of climbing left, pretty steep stuff with rock slabs to get over. Because the Uzzi squatted more when standing, it helped when hopping up onto the slabs and the bigger tyres dug in more on the rain loosened stones. It was heavier climbing, and you could tell the difference between the two bikes but everything was still do-able, just slower. The front end gave me no problems, keeping my weight over the forks when necessary meant the bike handled well even in tight, slow turns.

Hitting the down hill, following Mike from the bike shop now on the Tracer, the Uzzi just flew. Jumps, drops, berms I was hitting everything faster and jumping higher than I ever had before, on a trail I don't know and on a bike I've never ridden before. I was keeping up with an ex-DH racer! That really says something to me: "Sort yourself out and get one of these". I had a huge grin on my face at the bottom, something that I know I wouldn't have on the Tracer. Not with a 32 on the front anyway.

My plan now is to try and get myself on a Tracer set up how I'd have it, 36 TALAS, coil rear, 2.3-2.4 tyres and see how I feel on that. I don't think the grin factor would match up to the Uzzi though, that thing just tears down anything.

mtbr member
    Aug 2006
    Carrot,

Thanks for the update, I am still torn, I dont plan to buy until the 2010 models arrive so I do have some time.

I am currently between an Uzzi and Titus El Guapo, having recently ridden a Guapo its a great bike, pedals very well, climbs and carrys speed through single track, it does not feel heavy but is burly enough to take hits.

My issue is that I am going bigger everytime I am out, now dropping 6ft to flat and 12ft to trannys and would like to bigger so want a bike I can grow into.

However It must be able to pedal as lots of my riding buddys prefer a 25Km trail ride as appose to a 10Km huck fest!!

The weight of the Uzzi isnt my major concern its the angles and how efficiently they can be set to provide a solid platform to pedal from. I would be looking to fit a DHX air shock as it would allow me to add pressure and stiffen things up.

How big did the Uzzi feel? Did it feel more down hill bike than All Mountain?

Did it feel heavy to pedal? How easy was it to jump? Off kickers and roots, lips etc (Bump jump)

How did it suit Keilder and the UK single track trails?

Any and all help appreciated

Thanks

A crunchy treat
    Feb 2008
    It pedals really well, I didn't even use the pro pedal on the DHX and it pedalled better than the Stumpjumper FSR I rode a while ago. It does bob when you hammer, but I never felt I was wasting much energy at all, it was nice to feel it squish so plushly. The wheels on my current bike are 2-2.5kg each, the Easton/Mt King wheels are comparative featherweights.

It didn't feel DH big, just big enough to handle whatever I could throw at it. I'd be happy riding it all day. I'd say it's bang on what All Mountian is supposed to be. The Uzzi is incredible jumping off things and I was flying over jumps and out of bombholes, I didn't try to hop it on the flat, but it was easy enough to pop it up onto things on the trail.

It suited the trails really well, very confidence inspiring and it could climb up most things without too much trouble. With a travel adjust fork on the front it'd be even better, the front did wander slightly and was a bit light when going up but it was hardly anything. The bike is really well balanced. I'd be happy taking it anywhere in the UK and to the Alps.

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    Such a nice bikes here. I can't decide should I get Tracer VP or Uzzi VP. Just sold my M3 and the cash is burning holes to my pocket. Occasionally I'd like to visit some bikeparks, would the Tracer shine in that enviroment? Should I get the Uzzi and build it as light as possible for trails? Decisions.....

mtbr member
    Nov 2005

Another riding shot

Just another shot of uzzi in its natural enviroment0011.jpg

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by ir12daveor
    Anyone got a copper one of these yet that they want to share some pictures of?
    Here is mine:

Eating Hot Pockets

THE green one

34 pounds of green
    Attached Images Attached Images
    • File Type: jpg 1.JPG (65.9 KB, 5522 views)
    • File Type: jpg 2.JPG (85.3 KB, 5502 views)
    • File Type: jpg 3.JPG (71.3 KB, 5464 views)
    • File Type: jpg 4.JPG (97.9 KB, 5665 views)
    • File Type: jpg 5.JPG (56.6 KB, 5409 views)

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    My french copper :

mtbr member
    Sep 2006
    nice i like that color.

on a side note. has anyone had trouble with their seatpost going down all the way on a new frame? i also had a question about the brace in the rear swingarm. mine is slightly slanted one way and i wondered if this is normal or a concern. it does appear to line up with the rear wheel squarely, it just looks rather odd.

Eating Hot Pockets
    Quote Originally Posted by jpk1080
    on a side note. has anyone had trouble with their seatpost going down all the way on a new frame? .
    i have had 3 of these frames (don't ask )
    with a Thomson post,
    one of them the seatpost slid up and down all the way just fine
    one is nearly impossible to get to the MINIMUM insertion line on the post
    the latest one is in-between, but with some grease and horsing around, it moves ok now...
    (luckily the Joplin post lets me leave it in one place, otherwise i'd be way less than enthused)

all of this can be fixed..but wouldn't it be nice if they came that way?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by laleffe
    My french copper :
    Gorgeous bike, very cool set up with the BOS fork and the Mavic Crossmax's. What crank is that? And do you have a weight?

mtbr member
    Sep 2006
    It looks like the seat tube issue is causing more problems than i would have hoped for. i took it to a few shops. one honed the seat tube but it was still a no go. i checked in the seat tube for weld penetration, or burs, nothing. i also tried a diff seatpost, same thing. the guy guaged it for me and eveverything checked out. how should i proceed. i think my only options at this point are to get the tube reamed or send it back. if i ream it, i'm worried it could void my warranty and i hate to pay for something that should be right the first time, especially on a frame this expensive. i don't mind spending the money to have to reamed, but as i said, if i had another issue with it, and intense got it, they'd have a reason to deny warranty. any advice?

mtbr member
    It looks like laleffe is using a smaller seat post and a shim, that might be a solution for other people having the seatpost problem.

mtbr member
    Aug 2006
    A Nony Moose,

Great looking bike, I am feeling the 'team green' is this now an option colour or a special / mistake?

Also what size frame do you have?

Thanks

A crunchy treat
    Feb 2008
    Yeah, there were only 2 frames painted green, one med and one large. Jeff posted on here to see if anyone wanted them as they were done by accident.

mtbr member
    here's my take on an Uzzi:
    Medium Works
    CCDB, steel spring
    888 WC
    I9 DH/FR wheelset with 819 hoops
    Kenda Nevegal 2.35
    Hammerschmidt
    Formula The One 203/180
    X.O rear
    X.9 triggers
    Titec J-bar
    King devolution headset
    Thompson X4 Stem
    Fezzari Drop In seatpost
    WTB Power V
    Gore Sealed low friction cables
    DMR V12 magnesium pedals
    Cross step chain
    PG980 cassette

39 pounds on the nose

mtbr member
    Looks nice but what is with the bar and stem? It looks like a moustache bar and a 130mm stem.
    Quote Originally Posted by sideshow75
    here's my take on an Uzzi:
    Medium Works
    CCDB, steel spring
    888 WC
    I9 DH/FR wheelset with 819 hoops
    Kenda Nevegal 2.35
    Hammerschmidt
    Formula The One 203/180
    X.O rear
    X.9 triggers
    Titec J-bar
    King devolution headset
    Thompson X4 Stem
    Fezzari Drop In seatpost
    WTB Power V
    Gore Sealed low friction cables
    DMR V12 magnesium pedals
    Cross step chain
    PG980 cassette

39 pounds on the nose

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    The crank is a XT polish.
    Weight is 35.2 lbs.
    Yes, i'm using a 27.2 seat post and a shim and seat post could go all the way down.

Page 5 of 32 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 15 ... LastLast