Page 3 of 32 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 13 ... LastLast
    mtbr member
    Nov 2005

ferrari on 2 wheels

Intense Red M Uzzi VP [ATTACH]IMG_4079v800tagLO-FI.jpg[/ATTACH]2009 IMG_4091.jpg

A crunchy treat
    Feb 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by davet
    Well I finally get to come to the party, Fedex showed up to make my day today after a grueling 2 week wait for customs clearance. I can't wait to take it out for the christening tomorrow after work
    What wheels are those? Looks like an awesome build.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Carrot
    What wheels are those? Looks like an awesome build.
    Mavic 721's. You don't see them in silver very often

mtbr member
    Hey Marshall, How you liking the ride? How does it feel compared to the 6point or 7point?

mtbr member
    Some pics of my new toy!
    Attached Images Attached Images

mtbr member
    Sep 2003
    OK here she is. Large frame and comes in at 32.4lbs. I could have gone lighter but wanted a bit more durability

mtbr member
    a black bar, as well as a black post would fit her better....

Mmmmmm Beer!

One more.

I got tired waiting for blue so when this came in I grabbed it. It weighs in at 35.09lbs.

You wouldn't be in so much pain if you didn't ride like a dork!

mtbr member
    Are we doing action shots in this thread too? Took her for her first proper thrash on Saturday. Awful weather, the kind of rain where you just can't see through your goggles any more. Still damn good fun though. The Uzzi got absolutely caked in gritty mud, like only South Wales can do. Honeymoon period over then!

Last edited by Pedalhead; 08-04-2009 at 01:14 AM.

Lopen is sneller....
    Oct 2003
    So here it is. The first crashes and the scratches on her paint are a fact. So far I like the bike. Feels quite a bit snappier then the VPX. Feels lighter as well but not sure it really is. Going to upgrade some parts in the future to maybe scrape of a couple of 100 grms...Ti Spring, Syntace stem, bar and post.

Only thing I don't like...I have to fold down the rear seats of my car to get the bike in...

mtbr member
    Sub 32 lbs!!!

Looking to put a Rase seatpost and and E-13 DRS on at some point.

A crunchy treat
    Feb 2008
    Very nice. I'm swaying towards the Uzzi at the moment seeing builds coming up that light, what's the full spec?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Carrot
    Very nice. I'm swaying towards the Uzzi at the moment seeing builds coming up that light, what's the full spec?
    I bought the bike complete from The Path Bike Shop in Tustin, CA.

Fox 36 Van
    Fox DH 4.0 Coil
    Titec seatpost
    XT Crank, Drive Train/Shifters
    DT Swiss EX 1750 Wheels
    Shimano DX pedals
    Titec El Norte Stem and bars
    Titec seat and seatpost
    Cane Creek XIIX Headset
    Last edited by nanhar; 08-10-2009 at 06:55 AM.

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by trojaninsomniac
    Some pics of my new toy!
    How do you like those Fat Alberts, and what conditions are you running them in???

mtbr member
    [SIZE="5"]Something a little different here [/SIZE]

Large frame comes in right at 34.0 and I could probably cut a half pound more off but who's counting. Suuwwweeet ride. I thought my old VPX was the ticket but it just keeps getting better.
    Everybody dies, but not everyone lives

mtbr member
    Sep 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by mtnbikerx

Large frame comes in right at 34.0 and I could probably cut a half pound more off but who's counting. Suuwwweeet ride. I thought my old VPX was the ticket but it just keeps getting better.

how tall are you just out of curiousity?

mtbr member
    6' 1" w a 33" inseam. This bike fits me way better than the large 6.6 I had awhile back. Very comfortable seat to handlebar interface. Because my XC riding favors tech stuff, I like short stems.

mtbr member
    Aug 2006
    PedalHead,

Great shots, what size is your frame and how heavy is your build?

Where is South Wales do you ride?

Afan, Cwncarn, Brechfa?

Do you ride up?

How does the Uzzi climb? Have you ridden it up the 'Whites' @ Afan, Raven @ 'Brechfa' or Twrch trail @ Cwmcarn?

Does it feel big or excessively heavy while riding single track?

Would you feel comfortable on it riding Skyline @ Afan - 43Km

All help hugely appreciated, torn between Uzzi & Nomad at present for my do it all trail bike.

Carrot, we meet again, I am also encouraged by some of the lighter cica 32lbs builds on show!

mtbr member
    How do you like the roco air int he back? DId you go with the 2.75*8.75 size so you are getting the full 7.5 inches of travel?
    Quote Originally Posted by mtnbikerx

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Crash Bang
    PedalHead,

Great shots, what size is your frame and how heavy is your build?

Where is South Wales do you ride?

Afan, Cwncarn, Brechfa?

Do you ride up?

How does the Uzzi climb? Have you ridden it up the 'Whites' @ Afan, Raven @ 'Brechfa' or Twrch trail @ Cwmcarn?

Does it feel big or excessively heavy while riding single track?

All help hugely appreciated, torn between Uzzi & Nomad at present for my do it all trail bike.
    Hi mate. Well, I ride fairly often at Cwmcarn, and occasionally at Afan, plus I've ridden pretty much all the rest of the Welsh man made stuff, as well as the occasional visit to the Brecons (Talybont/the Gap etc). But, I've only done the one proper day out on the Uzzi so far (at Cwmcarn DH). I think it'd be pretty decent on XC trails, but not with the Totems & wheelset I'm using. Stick some 36's or Pikes/Lyriks on there & it'd be much more useful, especially with the G3 dropouts in the steeper setting. I built mine up heavy-ish (36 lbs) on purpose as it'll be used 99% of the time pointed downhill. Tough choice between Uzzi and Nomad, both great bikes. You can't go wrong with either frankly. The Uzzi might have the edge in versatility due to the G3...the settings really do make a noticeable difference.

I'm just finishing building up a Blur LT Carbon for regular trail duties...in fact, her maiden voyage will be at Whites this Saturday .
    Last edited by Pedalhead; 08-06-2009 at 12:39 AM.

A crunchy treat
    Feb 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by Crash Bang

Carrot, we meet again, I am also encouraged by some of the lighter cica 32lbs builds on show!
    I rode the Skyline once. Never again. It was the biggest waste of a day ever. Far too much time on fire roads and not enough time going down. W2 is the trail to go for if you're looking for a good long technical ride.

Yep, well we're in the same situation nearly, just with dfferent alternatives. You'll have a tough time getting away from me until I've decided on a new bike!

mtbr member
    Yeah, getting full travel on the Roco. I haven't had a chance to ride my trails yet but the backyard test was an eye opener. I first sat on the bike when the TST lever was on the "plush" setting which translates to 30% sag and a DH-like rear suspension. I thought the shock was way overmatched. Then I slid the TST lever all the way to the left and WOW a whole different suspension. Solid, bob free suspension and bump absorbsion like my recently departed Tracer. There are three intermediate settings on the TST scale but trying each will have to wait 'til I get a chance to spend a day riding. One nice feature of the Roco is a main chamber air pressure to carry the riding weight and then the piggyback reservoir has a separate air chamber used to tailor the bottom out characteristics. Two different schrader valves supply the two canisters.

mtbr member
    Aug 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by Pedalhead
    Hi mate. Well, I ride fairly often at Cwmcarn, and occasionally at Afan, plus I've ridden pretty much all the rest of the Welsh man made stuff, as well as the occasional visit to the Brecons (Talybont/the Gap etc). But, I've only done the one proper day out on the Uzzi so far (at Cwmcarn DH). I think it'd be pretty decent on XC trails, but not with the Totems & wheelset I'm using. Stick some 36's or Pikes/Lyriks on there & it'd be much more useful, especially with the G3 dropouts in the steeper setting. I built mine up heavy-ish (36 lbs) on purpose as it'll be used 99% of the time pointed downhill. Tough choice between Uzzi and Nomad, both great bikes. You can't go wrong with either frankly. The Uzzi might have the edge in versatility due to the G3...the settings really do make a noticeable difference.

I'm just finishing building up a Blur LT Carbon for regular trail duties...in fact, her maiden voyage will be at Whites this Saturday .
    Thanks for the info, my concern is that the Uzzi would be particularly hard work riding the gap or indeed the Whites, this is kind of confirmed by the fact that you are taking a Blur LT to Afan as appose to the Uzzi. Would you consider using the Uzzi at Afan?

I cant be doing with having two bikes so I need one to do it all, how you say that the Uzzi would cope with the Whites / Gap if fitted with a 36 / DHX Air / Light Wheels Set ?

How would it cope with the climb on the whites or twrch, front end lift? Or enough adjustment to cope?

Also do you mind me ask how much you weigh?

Thanks

Carrot, I agree with the Skyline being a little boring I was just using the distance of the trail to gauge how the Uzzi would perform over said distance.

If you ever ride Skyline ride the 'July' its a great trail.

mtbr member
    If my Uzzi was built up lighter, it'd be great fun on those trails I reckon, though somewhat over-qualified. The head angle isn't too slack with a shorter fork & the dropouts in shortest setting, but if I had one bike (which I did until recently), I'd personally rather have a trail bike (eg Blur) I could use for bigger stuff, rather than the other way around, but that's just me. I weigh a bit under 13 stone.

A crunchy treat
    Feb 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by Pedalhead
    If I had one bike (which I did until recently), I'd personally rather have a trail bike (eg Blur) I could use for bigger stuff, rather than the other way around, but that's just me.
    I suppose that's what I should be doing too and if I got a Tracer with 36 TALAS that's what I'd have. There's just something very appealing about having a bike I could do absolutely anything on rather than a bike that might be nippier in the woods but struggle with the shuttle runs.

This is just going to keep playing over and over in my mind until I ride them, and then it still probably won't go away and I'll end up getting some cheaper compromise like a giant reign (not that there's anything wrong with that bike of course)

Page 3 of 32 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 13 ... LastLast